C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Champion Aluminum Radiator Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 11:26 AM
sweetwater-ron
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Champion Aluminum Radiator Install

Just a general question about Champion radiators that are being sold on E-bay. For any of you that may know, do you have to do anything special regarding the automatic transmission connections? They do not appear to look like the same as the radiator that was taken out. The fittings screw in ok , but before I fill up the transmission fluid due to loss when removing old radiator, I want to be sure that I won't have any leaks at the fitting connections once I start driving down the road. So any of you that have experience with the Champion installs, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,
Ron
Old 03-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

A little reading on the installation.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...r-install.html
Old 03-23-2011, 09:10 PM
riggs 74
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have one and feel that it a great product at a great price. I had mine for a while now and
have had no issues with it. Mine fit in the car with no modifications to make it fit, and
my trans cooling line fit with no leaks, no problems.

I also installed dual ford focus fans behind it and feel it was all money well spent.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...radiators.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...the-cheep.html

Hope this helps,

Riggs.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:58 PM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I installed the same unit on my 72 LT1, I would share photos of the engine bay, but I have not manage to learn how to post photos. I have several in my album in my profile. the only issue I can share is: I decided to run with the stainless steal radiator hose, the manner these are installed I was not able to use one for the lower unless I leave out the chorme sleeve that came with the hose. the lower fitting is very close to the swaybar. other that that it fit as good as the OEM.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:26 PM
palmbeachvette76
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I have this radiator but opted to by pass the cooler in the radiator and use an external trans cooler instead. You should be just fine since the factory trans lines are a flare end that compresses virtually eliminating a leak (granted anything is possible) just don't over tighten and try if possible to use a line wrench though I know there is little room to work with.

I would also inspect the fittings/adapter your using to attach to the radiator since most leaks are a crack in the metal line or cross threaded fittings/bad threads.

Get notified of new replies

To Champion Aluminum Radiator Install

Quick Reply: Champion Aluminum Radiator Install