C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laws Against Corvette Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 11:33 AM
Raider74
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Laws Against Corvette Repair?

So as some of you have seen I am in the progress of replacing the body mounts on my 1974 in a thread called "The 1974 Body Mount Project."

Today on my front door I found a notice from the Inspector that I am in violation of code 10.1.something.something.3 for "Storage of a disabled vehicle and/or dismantling of a vehicle" listed as "the Corvette in the front driveway"

The notice says I have 10 days to remove or repair the vehicle or I could be fined $150. I am waiting on the rocker moulding repair kit as well as a new #4 Reinforcement plate from Ecklers in the mail, probably wont be here for another 5 days. I was planning on taking most of April to really finish up this job nicely, but apparently the law wont let you restore a classic Corvette in your driveway. The garage is single car, not big enough for the job.

Anyways, I am not sure what to do about this. For now I have put a car cover over the vehicle so it isn't apparent that it is on jack stands up in the driveway. I would appreciate any advice before I have to abandon the project and just put it all back without any new body mounts...

Here is how it looks:

I thought in America one could take a month to complete a major restoration project on their classic car but the law was on my back within a week of having started this project.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:41 AM
Snoopysvet
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I wonder who ratted you out so quickly?
Old 03-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

A lot of cities have ordinances against having an inoperable vehicle in open site. Some people just don't appreciate lawn art!
Old 03-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Check with the folks at city hall. You're up against a local ordinance or a subdivision restriction.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:54 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Raphiki
A lot of cities have ordinances against having an inoperable vehicle in open site. Some people just don't appreciate lawn art!
I live in Chino (Southern California) and we have an ordinance like that....my neighbor even got cited for a brown lawn....

But.....it helps keep the neighborhood looking nice...
Old 03-28-2011, 11:57 AM
bryanpl123
Racer

That is why I refuse to live in any city limits....I like to use my 4x4, guns, and lay some occasional rubber.. Cities don't have anything to offer, but stink, crowds, and noise...

I hope all goes well for you though.. I would take the above advice and go to city hall and appeal for some sort of exclusion (since it is covered now) or atleast provide an extention.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:29 PM
billcarson
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

a c3 on jackstands is a work of art.waasumatta with them neighbors.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:45 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,341 Posts

This is pretty common. Many towns have laws about unregistered vehicles stored outside.

One town near me has large (24"x24"?) bright orange paper warning labels, that they go around the town sticking on the drivers side windshield, of unregistered vehicles. The car can be on the street, in your driveway, or in your back yard! The labels are designed so that they are just about impossible to get off, keeping owners from just pulling them off, and ignoring the notice. The owner has a certain time period (7 days?) to register or move the car, and then the town tows it. This town is no garden spot either, I know because I worked there for years.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:46 PM
70BBvert
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Is it registered? Talk to the building department and/or code enforcement. They'll tell you what you need to do to comply. Might just need to put the wheels back on and put it back on the ground.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 276 Likes on 233 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

You were probably ratted out by a neighbor. I would just put some wheels back on the car and move it. If it has wheels and is moved I would say it is operational again and you should not have to worry.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:17 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,483 Likes on 796 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I'd slap the wheels back on, spin it 180*, and put a current tag on it. Shows movement and current registration. Then go find out who the busy body rat fink neighbour is.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:26 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

maybe getting tags for it make all the issues go away
Old 03-28-2011, 02:42 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You said "The garage is single car, not big enough for the job."

Can you store the car in the garage while you're not working on it and roll it out when you are? I know it's a PIA, but I bet it's not the fact that you are working on it that's the problem. The fact that a project is stored in the driveway might be the only issue.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:59 PM
mikejpss
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

one word : Neighbor(s).
Old 03-28-2011, 03:10 PM
mysixtynine
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Unfortunately you have to work within the limits of the laws...it is what it.. don't let it bother you....if you absolutely cannot get it into the garage then put the wheels on it and jack it up only when you need to work on it again. Sounds like your almost done anyway.

Most ordinance enforcement like this is only done Mon - Fri so you could probably work unmolested during the weekends.

If you think they hate you now..... just wait till you get it on the ground and running... seems like a good time for some side pipes
Old 03-28-2011, 04:13 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Its got nothing to do with America so please dont try and blame this on Obama.

Its either your HOA (home owners association) or a city ordinance.

Your neighbors would probably like it as well if you put the trash can out back or in the garage. Doing little things may help them to overlook some temporary little things

If its city it could have been a patrol car that noticed it as well.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:24 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by johnt365
Its got nothing to do with America so please dont try and blame this on Obama.

Its either your HOA (home owners association) or a city ordinance.

Your neighbors would probably like it as well if you put the trash can out back or in the garage. Doing little things may help them to overlook some temporary little things

If its city it could have been a patrol car that noticed it as well.
It's George Bush's fault

Get notified of new replies

To Laws Against Corvette Repair?

Old 03-28-2011, 05:00 PM
73, Dark Blue 454
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah,..put wheels on it, turn it around and put a car cover over it. Agree, it wouldn't hurt to call whoever sent you the love letter.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:26 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,717 Likes on 2,275 Posts

I'm going to suggest that you do the 'unthinkable'....go down to City Hall and discuss your situation with the appropriate official in charge. Don't waste your time with a 'desk clerk'...they can't make any decisions, anyway. Ask who you need to speak with and line up a time to sit and talk. Take some photos of your car and explain what you are doing, when ordered parts are supposed to be there, and when the car should be 'operational'. Then, tell this person that you understand why someone has raised this concern, but that you are a local citizen too, and your intent is to repair the car ASAP. Ask if a waiver (for a specific period of time) can be given. If not, ask what needs to be done to stay in compliance with the local laws.

Unless this person is a total , he/she will probably work with you to help you out. These folks really are trying to do their job, and most will assist a concerned citizen (like you) if given a chance.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:31 PM
AGVI_III
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sigforty
You were probably ratted out by a neighbor. I would just put some wheels back on the car and move it. If it has wheels and is moved I would say it is operational again and you should not have to worry.
Throw some wheels on it.

Quick Reply: Laws Against Corvette Repair?