C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 power sport seats in a C3

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:13 AM
GRIZ73
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C5 power sport seats in a C3

I am redoing 2 73 convertibles and have 2 sets of full electric C5 sport seats. Has anyone successfully installed these in their C3 retaining the full finctions. I have seen threads where the rails have been switched. I thought I had seen someone who had retained the full electrics but can not find thru search. Thanks!
Old 03-30-2011, 11:56 AM
mffi115
Pro

Here's a series of PMs re this:

Originally Posted by mffi115
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mffi115
How did you mount them in your C3? I have a set form an 04 Z06, driver side power I plan to put in my 73.

Well if you dont want the power seats its easy, just use the stock rails that are in your c3 and attach them to the c5 seats, but im sure you want the power like im in the process of doing, with that being the case, you have to run power wires (if you dont have them already) and then you will either have to fabricate a mounting bracket or just drill new holes in the floor of the car.

Thanks. I plan to run wires and don't mind drilling new holes. Can the power lead be run direct fromt the battery to the seat motor, should I put an in-line fuse (what amp?) on the power lead? Do the C5 seat rails make the seats sit higher in the car?

Thanks again,
Carl

Well you can run it from the batter if you wanted to, i would put in an inline fuse if you did it that way, not sure prob. a 15amp but you can tap into a hot wire from your center console if you wanted to, thats probably what im going to do since those are already running to a fuse.

Last edited by mffi115; 03-30-2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Added PM post
Old 03-31-2011, 08:49 AM
jetmech
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have installed a set of C5 seats in my 79. Although I am 6' 3" so it was a quite a bit of work to be able to retain all of the functions of the sport seats and get them low enough in the car. I actually cut the floorboards out and built new ones lowering them around 1 1/2 inches to give me the clearance I needed to be comfortable. With your 73 I believe the floors are still fiberglass which would make my mod even more difficult. If you would like some pics I can post a few later this evening.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:35 AM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm partway through a C5 seat install. I have the passenger seat positioned and the 2 front mounts made. I removed the original riveted-on brackets and used flat plates for the mounts. I had to remove a strip of carpet over the high spot to get clearance for the front mechanism, and I ground off the pointed part of the piece that acts as a stop when the seat is fully raised.

It's hard to reach the adjusters with the door closed, so adjustments will probably be best done with the door open.

You do sit higher than with the stock seats, although my stock seats were pretty shot so they probably sat lower than normal. I like the increased visibility.

Haven't figured out what to do with the shoulder belt yet. I may attach a C2-style bracket to the side of the seat to guide the belt.

Definitely use a fuse. I haven't measured the current draw yet so I don't know what I'll be using but I'll probably use a single fuse for both seats.

Rick B.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:09 PM
doctorgene
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Just to add info. My 1982 seat system is tied into my Power Accy. circuit breaker, which is 35 Amps. Which runs both my power windows & Power seat. I don't know about the wiring on the older cars. 15 Amps seems a little light & a circuit breaker will cool off when it's blown. Believe me I'm a Plumber not an Electrician, so I know there has to be more qualified people on here to direct you. LOL Have a great one. Gene
Old 04-02-2011, 12:47 AM
vetteguy22
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jetmech
I have installed a set of C5 seats in my 79. Although I am 6' 3" so it was a quite a bit of work to be able to retain all of the functions of the sport seats and get them low enough in the car. I actually cut the floorboards out and built new ones lowering them around 1 1/2 inches to give me the clearance I needed to be comfortable. With your 73 I believe the floors are still fiberglass which would make my mod even more difficult. If you would like some pics I can post a few later this evening.

I also am installing C5 sport seats in my 1970 C3. I would love to see some pictures of your install/ mounting set up. It is my belief that the C5 seats require a 20 amp fuse to operate correctly.
Hope this helps
Old 04-02-2011, 11:10 PM
GRIZ73
Instructor

Default C5 power seats in a C3

Thanks! Any pictures would also be appreciated.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 power sport seats in a C3

Quick Reply: C5 power sport seats in a C3