C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SR111 tube frame

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 10:15 PM
vetteguy22
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default SR111 tube frame

Has anyone here installed a tube frame from SR111 under their C3. I am just wondering how much I will have to modify the body to make it fit. Any input and pictures would be great.
I was also looking at the frames from Street Shop Inc. They say no fiberglass mods are needed. Anyone have one?
Thanks, Rob
Old 04-20-2011, 11:45 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

78Vette-SA did this one...

You'll find more pics and info in his F/S thread posted Sept. '10, http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3s-...m-coupe-3.html

Old 04-21-2011, 01:19 AM
vetteguy22
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks SkunkWorks. I appreciate the info.
Rob
Old 04-21-2011, 01:19 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

There is a guy in my Corvette club who has been working on his 68 project for about 7 years now, still not on the road. Maybe it's worth all the effort but, I can get a production C3 chasiss to handle pretty well for my uses. I don't much care for the weak C4 differential used in this conversion.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:43 AM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
I don't much care for the weak C4 differential used in this conversion.
There is nothing wrong with a Dana 44 from a C4, unless you are building a 600 HP car that does nothing but drag race it's entire life. Then you need a solid axle anyway. Granted the Dana 36 isn't as strong as the 44, so don't go cheap there. If the 44 isn't enough for you, you can get your SRIII built for the Viper rear end like this:

I will be ordering my SRIII for the '72 later this year. I already have the Dana 44, C4 rear suspension, a 2010 Camaro SS LS3, and a GTO T56 ready for it. I still need to buy the C5 front suspension. I'll be doing C4 rear & C5/C6 front on mine. I will have to remove the drop down compartments in the rear and make the floor flat across. I will also have to move the inner fenders in a few inches since I'll be putting some real tires back there. There are numerous options on how you can have your SRIII frame built.

I haven't found many C3 drivers brave enough to dive into one. 78Vette-SA is the only one I can think of off the of my head. I don't think I have seen any metal bumpers cars with an SRIII frame. Too many silly early C3 owners would rather pay $1000 for a PCV valve with their matching date code, then spend that money improving their car. There are however, quite a few C1 & C2 drivers that have gone the SRIII route. Here are a couple of great C2s built on a SRIII:

1964 Roadster

1965 Roadster

Old 04-21-2011, 11:24 AM
Mastr Fab
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Chassis Concepts offers their version of the Street Shops frame that uses a C5 differential with an adapter that allows a front mount transmission. The diff will handle the power of a LS7.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Tray from Street Shop uses both the Dana 44's and the Viper rears.

I would ask whoever about a couple of different things. Knowing what I know, here are a couple of things.

The type of coilovers & springs used. You'll find a big difference between spring mfg's. Some of the spring mfg's are very inconsistant in rate.

If your getting the C5/6 suspension are you getting new suspension parts or are they off a crash car.

With C4 suspension the only thing I know available bushing wise is poly. If you happen to go the leaf spring route, I would ask if the springs are new or used.

Type of wheel bearings used and if they are new or not. You would be suprised.

Brakes - New or used, options.

Brake & Fuel lines. Are they done or do you have to fab them up.

Type of rear and if the parts/housing are new/used.

The list goes on but do your homework. I'm sure if you call Hendricks Motorsports they could give you some insight on Street Shop as I know of 5 rolling chassis they built. I would also ask in the C1-2 sections. Lots of C1's & mid-year guys go this route as well.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBRA
There is nothing wrong with a Dana 44 from a C4, unless you are building a 600 HP car that does nothing but drag race it's entire life. Then you need a solid axle anyway. Granted the Dana 36 isn't as strong as the 44, so don't go cheap there. If the 44 isn't enough for you, you can get your SRIII built for the Viper rear end like this:

I will be ordering my SRIII for the '72 later this year. I already have the Dana 44, C4 rear suspension, a 2010 Camaro SS LS3, and a GTO T56 ready for it. I still need to buy the C5 front suspension. I'll be doing C4 rear & C5/C6 front on mine. I will have to remove the drop down compartments in the rear and make the floor flat across. I will also have to move the inner fenders in a few inches since I'll be putting some real tires back there. There are numerous options on how you can have your SRIII frame built.

I haven't found many C3 drivers brave enough to dive into one. 78Vette-SA is the only one I can think of off the of my head. I don't think I have seen any metal bumpers cars with an SRIII frame. Too many silly early C3 owners would rather pay $1000 for a PCV valve with their matching date code, then spend that money improving their car. There are however, quite a few C1 & C2 drivers that have gone the SRIII route. Here are a couple of great C2s built on a SRIII:

1964 Roadster

1965 Roadster

What's brave about it? Ya just write a check.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:57 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

I haven't found many C3 drivers brave enough to dive into one. I don't think I have seen any metal bumpers cars with an SRIII frame. Too many silly early C3 owners would rather pay $1000 for a PCV valve with their matching date code, then spend that money improving their car.

I'm not sure being "brave" is the issue rather the expense, $15,000+ for the frame and suspension is not exactly chump change for a weekend car. True the C3 suspension is outdated, but so is the C4/C5 setup all things considered. If you have the means it the wiser option, but a built C3 frame and chassis components can do quite well on the track and on the street.

Post some pics when you get everything bolted up, should be a great ride.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:33 PM
doctorgene
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

What a beautiful piece of work those frames are. I'm sure glad I'm not in that mode of driving. I love an old 1932 Cadillac when it takes off down the street. The noise of the rear end & transmission is an awesome sound to listen too. Have a wonderful season. Gene
Old 04-21-2011, 08:07 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

After havg worked on a SRIII chassis and riding and driving one for some time I had considered doing this. I was going to do a LS3 with a charger with the 6 speed I have and do the coil over suspension. I just cannot justify the expense right now with 1 in college and 1 coming up shortly. The ride and handling is second to none. I would do it in a heart beat if I had the means. It just blows away any C3 setup. Expensive yes but if you have the means do it. I figured about 15K+ for the frame and suspension and another 10K+ for the motor. That is 25K and that is a conservative number. I know what it costs to do one from scratch and it is not cheap by any means. Yes it could probably be done on a budget but why build it if you are going to cheap out on it.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:05 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.

Originally Posted by Gordonm
After havg worked on a SRIII chassis and riding and driving one for some time I had considered doing this. I was going to do a LS3 with a charger with the 6 speed I have and do the coil over suspension. I just cannot justify the expense right now with 1 in college and 1 coming up shortly. The ride and handling is second to none. I would do it in a heart beat if I had the means. It just blows away any C3 setup. Expensive yes but if you have the means do it. I figured about 15K+ for the frame and suspension and another 10K+ for the motor. That is 25K and that is a conservative number. I know what it costs to do one from scratch and it is not cheap by any means. Yes it could probably be done on a budget but why build it if you are going to cheap out on it.
Ya lost me there.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Originally Posted by 69427
Ya lost me there.
By doing it with cheap crappy parts. I have seen of few "resto mods" done with real bargain basement parts. Used stuff that I would not put on any car.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:47 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The feedback I got when talking to owners of SRIII frames is that they are beautifully engineered but heavy (even with all the later model alum. parts, you net out with more weight over stock).
Old 04-22-2011, 08:18 AM
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Gordonm
By doing it with cheap crappy parts. I have seen of few "resto mods" done with real bargain basement parts. Used stuff that I would not put on any car.
I'm still not following you. Isn't the original thread topic about using factory GM C4/C5 Corvette parts on all four suspension corners?
Old 04-22-2011, 08:29 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

I'm still not following you. Isn't the original thread topic about using factory GM C4/C5 Corvette parts on all four suspension corners?
No that was not the original question at all. Like most topics it gets a little off the original topic anyway. Just stating what i have found out about these frames and what i have experienced with them.

As to parkerracing i have personally carried with someone else a SRIII frame and a stock frame. If they are any heavier it is only by a few pounds but it sure felt about the same to me. Granted they are not flyweight either but there is no frame flex at all comapred to a stock frame.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:45 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

1964 Roadster

1965 Roadster

Corect me if I'm Wrong but are not the Corvette C4 Dana 44 and the Viper Dana 44 both Super Dana 44's with all the same internal Parts? Yes they have External diffrences, Batwing and forward Mount and Yokes. The Viper has an Early and Late versions, the C3 Dana 44 has little in common inside or out. But do not the C4 and Viper share the same Ring and Pinion, Bearings and Posi Unit?

Get notified of new replies

To SR111 tube frame

Old 04-23-2011, 12:05 AM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
Corect me if I'm Wrong but are not the Corvette C4 Dana 44 and the Viper Dana 44 both Super Dana 44's with all the same internal Parts? Yes they have External diffrences, Batwing and forward Mount and Yokes. The Viper has an Early and Late versions, the C3 Dana 44 has little in common inside or out. But do not the C4 and Viper share the same Ring and Pinion, Bearings and Posi Unit?

I don't know enough about the Viper diff to answer that. I'll be using the C4 Dana 44 in my SRIII build, since I already have one from my '94 track car that I have parted out.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:37 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think what Gordon was driving at was the condition of the parts off the donor cars. I can't recall anybody going to the GM parts counter to pick up the suspension pieces needed without buying a front and rear axle brake to brake first. There was a reason the car was parted out in the first place. If it looks used up or bent, why bother?
Old 04-23-2011, 09:56 AM
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by parkerracing
I think what Gordon was driving at was the condition of the parts off the donor cars. I can't recall anybody going to the GM parts counter to pick up the suspension pieces needed without buying a front and rear axle brake to brake first. There was a reason the car was parted out in the first place. If it looks used up or bent, why bother?
Your post makes little more sense than Gordon's. Who in their right mind goes to all the trouble to update to a C4/C5 suspension and then puts bent parts on the car? Additionally, what's wrong with buying "used up" parts? Anybody owning a C3 is driving around on a pile of almost "used up" parts. Perhaps I'm among the dying minority of Corvette owners who actually repairs/rebuilds older parts that are on my car, or rebuilds parts I buy at a swap meet.

Quick Reply: SR111 tube frame