C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rag top install. Confidence shattered.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 08:13 PM
boltnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New rag top install. Confidence shattered.

Ordered my new top from Robbins all ready to give it a go. Inspected the contents and saw their obligatory THIS IS NOT A DIY PROJECT paperwork and self doubt crept in. I would hate to destroy a 450.00 top trying........

Can anyone with first hand knowledge advise ?
Old 05-06-2011, 08:43 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I bought my '72 vert some 16 years ago, and the white top was perfect, fit fine, just the front header leaked so I fixed that....a GM design problem....and it was fine for some 12? years....then I bought a really finely made replacement top off ebay for 180 bux....it lookes fine but I cut the old top off and the installer said it would not fit....

in spite of the great LOOKS they had the size rong, and it of course did not fit the frame or any reasonable window adjustment....The top of the windows hit the top vertically and the back corner was over a inch too low....

and that was with new weatherstripping.....

and it was a damn shame, but it keeps me dry, I cut the edge material back and cut the top higher, with a razor blade....making the top/rear corner have a inch of open material there....

hell with it.....last damn top I buy from anywhere without seeing and measuring it for fit, myself.....

I learned the hard way...and would never trust any source....

and 450 bux is outlandish for a mass produced piece of material and vinyl insert....

CASE CLOSED....

Old 05-06-2011, 09:01 PM
boltnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrvette

and 450 bux is outlandish for a mass produced piece of material and vinyl insert....

CASE CLOSED....

i agree its a lot of money but this actually looks hand trimmed...looks like VERY high quality material...
Old 05-06-2011, 09:22 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by boltnut
i agree its a lot of money but this actually looks hand trimmed...looks like VERY high quality material...
SO did mine, trick is, it was OVER an inch lo on the window tops....another description it was too wide over the top...

but the manufacture and finish was first rate...no question...

so go figger....before you install you better measure it just lay out flat on the driveway and take what should be a critical measurements...

BEFORE you cut off the old top...

use a seamstress tape or a least a steel tape....

measure everything, it either IS or is NOT....RS101////
Old 05-06-2011, 10:00 PM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvette

BEFORE you cut off the old top...

use a seamstress tape or a least a steel tape....

measure everything, it either IS or is NOT....RS101////

I have put three convertible tops on in my life. Two Impalas, and one Corvette, which was my first vette, a 68 back in 1996.

The Impalas were a PITA and couldn't get right, w/o a wrinkle or two. The Corvette top was a breeze, and came out MINT. I'm excited about doing the top on my 65 pretty soon

Get notified of new replies

To New rag top install. Confidence shattered.

Quick Reply: New rag top install. Confidence shattered.