C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustangs, butt kickings and the need for redundancy

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2002, 12:54 AM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Mustangs, butt kickings and the need for redundancy

This is kind of off topic, but something for all of us to think about.

First, the good news.

I was out in my Z28 tonight with the wife. I have been trying to explain to her how a 383 with an Comp Cams XE284 needs to be over 3,500rpm's to really meet it's potential. She was driving in the early evening and needless to say, with her shift AT 3,500 rpm's driving style, it was pretty lame. On the way home, after a few 100+ mph sprints and running it up over 5,000rpm's, she admitted that I "drive the hell out of the car". At the last light, a Mustang pulls up next to us (after we had driven past it rather "quickly"). The light turns green and he guns his car and starts squeeling wheels and pulling hard. I hit the gas and start accelerating. Unintentionally, I start spinning wheels but let off just enough for the wheels to grab. Run it up to 5,500RPM's and shift to second. A little wheel spin and on we go. We blew by that Rustang like it was standing still!!! It was a speck in the rear view mirror in no time flat. I LOVE THAT 420HP 383 WITH A TREMEC 5-SPEED AND 3.73 REAR!!!!

So the bad news (not so):

After I pull off the highway, I notice the choke light is on. This its the same circuit as the electric fan and I immediately notice that the temp is shooting up (it normally runs under 170* and it's hitting 240+*) I pull over and lift the hood. The coolant is boiling and bubbling over and I notice that the belt that ran the alternator had been either thrown or broke. :eek: Unfortunately, the redundant belt that used to run the water pump had been removed (A/C delete) and there was now no belt running the water pump. :eek: :eek: :eek: Luckily, being a Bubba, I just happen to have a belt in the hatch. I threw it on and ran it a little to cool it down and there doesn't appear to be any damage.

So to summarize: ALWAYS make sure there is a redundant belt on important stuff like the water pump, and ALWAYS carry a spare!!! :D :cheers:
Old 04-21-2002, 01:05 AM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: Mustangs, butt kickings and the need for redundancy (79MakoL82)

Good save. I learned a similar lesson after blowing a radiator hose in my '92 vert. The temp gauge shot up and white smoke bellowed from under the car, so I immediately pulled over and was able to cool it down. It did fry the water pump ($175 part).
Old 04-21-2002, 04:39 AM
rhoeven
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Mustangs, butt kickings and the need for redundancy (79MakoL82)

In case you didn't have a spare belt, the wife's nylons will do the trick as well and get you home.

Roger
:seeya
Old 04-21-2002, 04:56 AM
Robert Holtman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Mustangs, butt kickings and the need for redundancy (rhoeven)

Rustang's are some percistant to be beat on little P.O.S. aren't they. Go over to Kill Stories. You'll find TONS of Rustang humiliation stories! Even mine from last Saturday. My first car was a Rustang. Then I got a better job. :rolleyes:
Old 04-21-2002, 06:39 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Mustangs, butt kickings and the need for redundancy (Robert Holtman)

If you're belts are over a few years old put some new ones on. Then, save the old ones in the car just in case of something like this. That's what I do. Then, of course, I carry a few tools as well. I have old belts bouncing around in every car I own. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Mustangs, butt kickings and the need for redundancy

Quick Reply: Mustangs, butt kickings and the need for redundancy