C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

600 Holley -- pump to carb fuel line question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 04:33 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

if the gas filter was above the level of the gas in the tank you wouldn't have a problem. Put the filter in the correct location above the fuel level in the tank. Other than between the frame and the pump you should not have a 7" long rubber line.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:59 PM
Evren Erdogan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
if the gas filter was above the level of the gas in the tank you wouldn't have a problem. Put the filter in the correct location above the fuel level in the tank. Other than between the frame and the pump you should not have a 7" long rubber line.
Hmm I know what u mean maybe it was easy for whoever made that set up but I'm not sure about if its not gonna leak above it when the tank is full I can use a long line to test it out I ll also post a picture of the current line and let u know but I think the whole system is not safe again cause if something happens to fuel line all the way from pump to engine bay .the distance is too far without a valve that s my thinking
Old 12-27-2015, 05:10 PM
454Luvr
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
You should NEVER have rubber fuel line in the supply system after the fuel pump.
I can't count the number of hot rods I've seen done this way without mishap. Even factories do it; my '82 has factory rubber hose at both ends of the frame-mounted fuel filter, less than a foot from the CAT. I don't care for the OP's filter hanging in the air at the midpoint, but other than that, it should be fine. Just be sure to inspect the hose occasionally and maybe replace it as a matter of routine every two or three years.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:29 PM
Evren Erdogan
Advanced

Originally Posted by 454Luvr
I can't count the number of hot rods I've seen done this way without mishap. Even factories do it; my '82 has factory rubber hose at both ends of the frame-mounted fuel filter, less than a foot from the CAT. I don't care for the OP's filter hanging in the air at the midpoint, but other than that, it should be fine. Just be sure to inspect the hose occasionally and maybe replace it as a matter of routine every two or three years.
The hose was damaged by the clamps and leaked so I replaced the hose and out fuel hose clamps it looks okay and if it leaks I ll know cause I check under the car all the time .it think it's safer this way than on the top of the hot engine .but in modern cars fuel stops leaking when changing the filter or if It was damaged by an accident .but in this case I have to keep a fire extinguisher and fuel line plug in car for a possible accident lol

Last edited by Evren Erdogan; 12-27-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:55 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Default Pump to engine bay?

Originally Posted by Evren Erdogan
Hmm I know what u mean maybe it was easy for whoever made that set up but I'm not sure about if its not gonna leak above it when the tank is full I can use a long line to test it out I ll also post a picture of the current line and let u know but I think the whole system is not safe again cause if something happens to fuel line all the way from pump to engine bay .the distance is too far without a valve that s my thinking
On a stock setup the mechanical pump is in the engine bay attached to the passenger side of the block. Are you not providing all the information about this car? Has the stock mechanical pump been replaced by an electric pump located in the back of the car?

Last edited by MelWff; 12-27-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:15 PM
Evren Erdogan
Advanced

Originally Posted by MelWff
On a stock setup the mechanical pump is in the engine bay attached to the passenger side of the block. Are you not providing all the information about this car? Has the stock mechanical pump been replaced by an electric pump located in the back of the car?
Well as I said I just bought the car and have not checked the original set up yet but the owner told me it is replaced with an electric pump that's right
Old 12-27-2015, 07:31 PM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Gravity

Well as I said I just bought the car and have not checked the original set up yet but the owner told me it is replaced with an electric pump that's right
Evren, the reason petrol comes out of your rubber fuel line is that unlike most cars, the fuel tank in a Corvette is mounted high at the back of the car. Your spare wheel sits UNDER the fuel tank, right? Gravity is "forcing" the fuel to come out of the steel fuel line next to the fuel pump when the car is sitting level.

To solve your problem, you have to raise the front of the car before removing your rubber fuel line at the fuel pump. Raise it high enough that the end of the steel line on the chassis is higher than your fuel tank.

Some ramps or a large truck jack (with supports added before getting under the car!!!) should do the job.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Old 12-27-2015, 07:35 PM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default A different fuel bowl?

[QUOTE=1976 corvette;1577634720]Off one of my part’s cars I came across a not bad looking holly 600 hidden below the air cleaner so I decided to install it on my 76 driver. It sits fine on a 2101 intake manifolds but I didn’t like how I ran the gas line. I just copied how it was on my parts car and even used the same cut metal gas line but I do not like the idea of having the most flammable thing in a car that closes to the hottest thing in a vehicle with only rubber in between. The fuel filter touches up against the coolant goose neck and the intake manifold so that can't be good. I can’t be the first one to do this, so what has everyone else done? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated? Thanks

I'm no expert on Holley carbs, but have you considered trying to find out if Holley makes a front fuel bowl that has its inlet on the passenger side? If so, then that would solve the problem of running a fuel line across the front of the carb and your inlet would then be on the same side as the pump and you should be able to buy or have made a one piece steel line from pump to carb.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Old 12-27-2015, 07:40 PM
Evren Erdogan
Advanced

Well obviously they preferred to keep the rubber line away from engine. the location does not matter to me and it seems preety safe there but does the gas keep coming on your system when u unplug the rubber line ? That's the point that I don't feel very safe with . thank u for answering.
Thanks for the ideas .so the pump itself does not hold the fuel and let it gravity unlike today's cars .
Old 12-27-2015, 08:25 PM
Captain bob
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

people in fiberglass cars should avoid any remote chance of fire!!!!!!!!!almost lost my life never to repeat.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:13 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

On a stock system the hard line switches to a rubber line to connect to the fuel pump.

I clamp that hose and fuel won't flow past the fuel pump.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:17 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

IT's not that tough to bend a steel line and flare (either AN or Inverted flare) to connect the carb and pump. It'll take a few attempts to get it perfect, but it's worth the effort. I use 3/8 brake tube. If you get real industrious, you can polish it up a bit and clear coat it.
And as noted by 7T1- a rubber hose is going to leak sooner or later. Even the big buck braided hoses will leak sometime. And the fuel will not necessarily come out of the hose at the leak.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:23 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

just so you know, you can get high pressure fuel line that works just fine. my '95 has rubber line from the factory at the tank on the high pressure side and it is under much more pressure than that stock fuel pump. replacement line is yellow and is perfectly safe.

however, buying a straight piece of line and bending it to fit is really not that hard. if you stick with flexible line, don't just clamp on the steel, you can make a swage or a bead on the end so it acts like a barb. and I would get rid of that filter, they are known to be poor, or at least put it lower closer to the pump instead of up there where it will sit with an air bubble all he time.

and yes Fords used rubber from the line to the filter all the time, so did some Chrysler. new fuel filters used to come with 2 short 3" pieces for each end with a couple spring clamps...
Old 12-28-2015, 11:43 AM
MelWff
Race Director

You still havent fully explained or provided a picture of your fuel system.
You told us you have an electric pump but have not mentioned if it is located in the rear of the car which is where I assume it is.
You have not told us whether the stock mechanical pump is still on the car?
If the stock mechanical pump is still on the car is it connected so that fuel from the electric pump runs through it?
Exactly what two components is this 7" length of rubber hose connecting?
Old 12-28-2015, 03:00 PM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

From summit you can buy a Holley carb fuel inlet line with filter (the chrome bit). Then I bent a hardline from the filter to the fuel pump (mechanical)
Nick
Old 12-29-2015, 01:38 AM
farmall
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1976 corvette
Off one of my part’s cars I came across a not bad looking holly 600 hidden below the air cleaner so I decided to install it on my 76 driver. It sits fine on a 2101 intake manifolds but I didn’t like how I ran the gas line. I just copied how it was on my parts car and even used the same cut metal gas line but I do not like the idea of having the most flammable thing in a car that closes to the hottest thing in a vehicle with only rubber in between. The fuel filter touches up against the coolant goose neck and the intake manifold so that can't be good. I can’t be the first one to do this, so what has everyone else done? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated? Thanks

Your engine backfires and pukes fuel and spark on the foam open top air filter element which catches fire and in turn melts your hood and if not caught in time burns the front of the car off

Seen it happen.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:04 AM
Captain bob
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by farmall
Your engine backfires and pukes fuel and spark on the foam open top air filter element which catches fire and in turn melts your hood and if not caught in time burns the front of the car off

Seen it happen.
i have also witness this .happen so fast car was destroyed even with best efforts from nearby portable fire equipment.

Get notified of new replies

To 600 Holley -- pump to carb fuel line question.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:22 AM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by farmall

Seen it happen.
All good info, but did you guys realize this thread was started over 3 1/2 years ago?

Last edited by '75; 12-29-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:10 PM
farmall
Intermediate

Just like wine.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:00 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by '75
All good info, but did you guys realize this thread was started over 3 1/2 years ago?
the original thread was, but it got hijacked on 12/27 and we thought it was a new thread....

which is why I keep saying all threads should be locked automatically if they have had no new posts within a year or something...

Quick Reply: 600 Holley -- pump to carb fuel line question.