C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping out the steering column

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 09:08 AM
snide
Team Owner

Received 172 Likes on 74 Posts
CI 4-5-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Swapping out the steering column

How much effort is it to swap out a non-tilt column for a tilt column in an early shark? :
Old 05-28-2011, 10:37 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Should not be a problem at all. All 1969 through 1976 columns will interchange with each other.

One thing to remember. Ignition switches on standard (non-adjustable) columns are not the same as Tilt or T&T steering column switches. However, there is only one vehicle ignition switch wiring harness. (It is the same on all C3's.) You will need to twist the two connectors on your vehicle's harness 180 degrees and they will snap right into your new T&T column ignition switch.

Going from a standard column to a T&T you will require all of the special T&T steering wheel, horn, and telescope locking parts. You will need the tilt lever, the turn signal lever, steering wheel hub, extension, lower horn contact, telescope locking ring, upper horn contact, etc. They are different between standard and T&T columns.

Jim
Old 05-28-2011, 02:47 PM
AR71Stingray
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this switch on my 1971. From my perspective it is definitely worth the swap. I bought a newly rebuilt unit and it makes a world of difference in terms of tightness. My old column was loose and a new column coupled with a newly rebuilt steering box makes you think you are driving a new car!

The column I bought was black so I went to the paint store and purchased 8 ounces of dark saddle paint. Looks great.

The only difficulty I had was in the 10 pin connector. I had to do a small amount of carving on each end and was good to go.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:09 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
.......... require all of the special T&T steering wheel, horn, and telescope locking parts. You will need the tilt lever, the turn signal lever, steering wheel hub, extension, lower horn contact, telescope locking ring, upper horn contact, etc. They are different between standard and T&T columns............
I used my original steering wheel when I converted mine, I only needed the T/T horn and the rest of the telescopic locking parts.

Last edited by HamadUP; 05-28-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:13 PM
snide
Team Owner

Received 172 Likes on 74 Posts
CI 4-5-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
Should not be a problem at all. All 1969 through 1976 columns will interchange with each other.

One thing to remember. Ignition switches on standard (non-adjustable) columns are not the same as Tilt or T&T steering column switches. However, there is only one vehicle ignition switch wiring harness. (It is the same on all C3's.) You will need to twist the two connectors on your vehicle's harness 180 degrees and they will snap right into your new T&T column ignition switch.

Going from a standard column to a T&T you will require all of the special T&T steering wheel, horn, and telescope locking parts. You will need the tilt lever, the turn signal lever, steering wheel hub, extension, lower horn contact, telescope locking ring, upper horn contact, etc. They are different between standard and T&T columns.

Jim
Thanks for the info, Jim!

Old 05-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

If the "harmonica" turn signal switch electrical connector on the new column will not snap into the connector on your vehicle harness, you can swap the "harmonica" connector from your original column with the one on the new column.
Here are some tips on swapping the connectors"

Straighten a heavy paper clip or use a very thin blade screwdriver. Insert it into the “harmonica” connector from the contact side to disengage each wire and contact. There should be a small molded square channel in the connector that will guide you to a metal tang on the contact that holds it in place. Once you depress the tang and pop the wire and contact out of the connector, you should take a small knife blade and bend the tang back out so that it will engage the connector correctly upon reinstallation.

Jim
Old 05-30-2011, 08:11 PM
VCuomo
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've done this swap on my '72 - no issues at all, and I'm real glad I did it!
Old 04-08-2012, 10:56 PM
kenpofan
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

BTT ..I'll need this soon...

Get notified of new replies

To Swapping out the steering column

Quick Reply: Swapping out the steering column