C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what causes backfire on a Q-jet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 08:01 PM
MonteHall
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Donor '03 & '06

Default what causes backfire on a Q-jet?

I've made a few posts about some ongoing issues with my Quadrajet converted '84.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...quadrajet.html
It starts up great, but I have to give it some gas in order for it to fire. It will die if I left it to idle, but if I continuously revved it would run for a while, then sounded like it was sucking air, and would try to die... if I floored it hard, it would catch again, then would backfire (flame out the carb)

The distributor has been swapped for a vacuum advance style.

it's odd because it just started this one day.
The day before it drove great, and for the last two months (which is as long as I've had it)
Old 06-26-2011, 08:05 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 211 Posts

backfire is caused by fire in the combustion chamber while the intake valve is open
Old 06-26-2011, 08:09 PM
MonteHall
Team Owner

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Donor '03 & '06

so my timing is off?
what would cause that to happen in the middle of driving?
Old 06-26-2011, 11:01 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,717 Likes on 2,275 Posts

It could be that your timing chain is failing and has slipped to a different position. In any event, your timing is way off. You can put a timing light on it, but the readings you get off the damper timing scale will likely not be correct. You can experiment a bit, since it still runs, by loosening the lock-down bolt on the distributor, getting the car started, then gently and very gradually adjusting the dizzy one way and then the other (within the range of 1/8" either direction) to see which way causes it to run better. Then, very gradually continue to turn the dizzy that same direction until it starts to run worse. Place the dizzy in the position where it runs best, then lock it down again. Now, knowing how much you changed the position of the distributor during that test can give you a clue as to what may be happening with the engine.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:11 AM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Or you can pull the #1 plug, pull the coil wire, take off the dist. cap put your finger over the plug hole and turn over by hand until you feel compression. Turn till the rotor lines up exactly with the where the #1 plug tower would be. Look at the timing marks and in theory the balancer and the tab should be on zero 0 degrees. If not you would know there is slippage on the chain, maybe someone installed the dist. one tooth off,.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:24 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
It could be that your timing chain is failing and has slipped to a different position. In any event, your timing is way off. You can put a timing light on it, but the readings you get off the damper timing scale will likely not be correct. You can experiment a bit, since it still runs, by loosening the lock-down bolt on the distributor, getting the car started, then gently and very gradually adjusting the dizzy one way and then the other (within the range of 1/8" either direction) to see which way causes it to run better. Then, very gradually continue to turn the dizzy that same direction until it starts to run worse. Place the dizzy in the position where it runs best, then lock it down again. Now, knowing how much you changed the position of the distributor during that test can give you a clue as to what may be happening with the engine.
Another vote for the timing chain jumping a few teeth. Some factory timing sets used cam sprockets with nylon teeth to help quiet things down, but you'd be amazed what some of these look like, and actually still run. Probably a good idea pulling some things apart for a better look.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Ralphbf
Burning Brakes

Put a breaker bar on the crank bolt and lift and push on the bar.

My guess is an inch to an inch and a half of movement before the cam moves.

Nylon is good for a little over 60,000 miles.

Better Hurry

Ralph
Old 06-27-2011, 10:17 AM
MonteHall
Team Owner

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Donor '03 & '06

so I should probably stop cranking it?

when my wife's Turbo Eclipse spun the timing chain it destroyed the engine... what's diffrence between that and an SBC?
Old 06-27-2011, 10:27 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

who knows exactly what happened.....find TDC on the #1 cylinder and mark it on harmonic balancer and then pull the valve covers and distributor cap and hand crank the engine over and watch the valves open and close as the distributor rotor turns.....at TDC of the compression stroke both valves should be closed and the rotor should be point to #1 tower.....if it is not and the distributor is not loose, and it was running well before i go with the timing chain having slipped.

japanesse cars have catastrophic failure when this happens because the belts break.....our cars usually have crappy performance because the chains jump....however it needs to be fixed before you drive it.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:49 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some engine's are what's called interference, or non interference designs. Many modern, higher tolerance engine designs will have open valves slamming into pistons if the timing belt/chain breaks. Dont think a stock S.B. will do this, but good to pull the timing cover for a look. Recommend picking up a new timing set, gaskets, and front crank seal before any wrenching to simplify things.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:53 AM
78 silver 78
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
who knows exactly what happened.....find TDC on the #1 cylinder and mark it on harmonic balancer and then pull the valve covers and distributor cap and hand crank the engine over and watch the valves open and close as the distributor rotor turns.....at TDC of the compression stroke both valves should be closed and the rotor should be point to #1 tower.....if it is not and the distributor is not loose, and it was running well before i go with the timing chain having slipped.

japanesse cars have catastrophic failure when this happens because the belts break.....our cars usually have crappy performance because the chains jump....however it needs to be fixed before you drive it.
Also,I have seen harmonic balancers slip, so best to do the above check.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:01 PM
MonteHall
Team Owner

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Donor '03 & '06

this is going to be really dumb... when you say "hand crank the engine" what do you mean?
Old 06-27-2011, 12:14 PM
78 silver 78
Instructor

Originally Posted by MonteHall
this is going to be really dumb... when you say "hand crank the engine" what do you mean?
Use the crank bolt or flywheel to turn engine, not starter.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Ralphbf
Burning Brakes

Pull a valve cover, put a wrench on the crank nut and turn the engine backwards till a valve moves.

You could do this using the timing marks to see how many degrees of slack in the chain and what's left of the teeth has.

I've seen them pretty loose.

Ralph
Old 06-27-2011, 01:41 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

by hand crank i mean using a breaker bar on the harmonic balancer bolt....i have never had any luck going backwards on these bolts they always loosen.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:28 PM
MonteHall
Team Owner

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Donor '03 & '06

I'll have to try this after I get my 1/2 breaker bar back from Indiana.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:04 PM
mrmagrath
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A bit OT, but the first Jaguar V8's had crappy plastic secondary timing chain tensioners that would break after about 35,000 miles, and on startup, would cause the secondary timing chain to jump a tooth on the cam sprocket, causing the engine to run rough. The next tooth jumped on startup would cause Mr exhaust valve to make sweet love to Mrs piston, destroying the engine! Many pissed Jag owners! And Jag wouldn't do anything about it. They did eventually upgrade their tensioners, but it was up to the owner to sort it out.
Cheers
Grant

Get notified of new replies

To what causes backfire on a Q-jet?

Old 06-27-2011, 11:27 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by MonteHall
It starts up great, but I have to give it some gas in order for it to fire. It will die if I left it to idle, but if I continuously revved it would run for a while, then sounded like it was sucking air, and would try to die... if I floored it hard, it would catch again, then would backfire (flame out the carb)
Sounds like a massive vacuum leak to me.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:07 PM
MonteHall
Team Owner

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Donor '03 & '06

okay... ready for this?
I checked the Distributor, and its tight.

my quadrajet doesn't have an actuated choke, thanks to the DSPO, bit I love in south Texas, so it's never been an issue.
On a whim, I flipped the choke to about 1/2 closed... car runs great, no backfire at all. But if I let off the gas, it dies.
Carb problem now?

Last edited by MonteHall; 06-28-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:40 PM
78 silver 78
Instructor

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
Sounds like a massive vacuum leak to me.

Quick Reply: what causes backfire on a Q-jet?