C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! installing chrome alternator in factory location...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 12:43 AM
Iggycat2009
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help! installing chrome alternator in factory location...

I have a 76 C3 and installing a chrome alternator and can't seem to find the right chrome brackets to make this work. What am I not seeing? I surfed around and havent been able to find anything. What I did find was either a bracket for a low installation where the power steering pump is located or short water pump that does me no good. I don't want to go nuts with a fancy serpintine bracket set-up or one of the funny looking brackets that mount the alternator too high. The attempt is to retain the factory look (or as close as I can get it). I know I'm not reinventing the wheel so appreciate the feedback..

Here are the specs;

1) 75 350 block.

2) Installing alternator in factory location (drivers side).

3) installed Chevy old style 'hump heads' meaning they have no drilled holes to mount a bracket.

4) Installed chrome 'slide bracket' that gets bolted over the header tube on the number 1 cyclinder (drivers side front) which seems to work.

5) Long water pump installed.

6) Tall valve covers installed (using roller rockers).

7) purchased a chrome adjustment bracket with the long slit or cut-out that holds the top of the alternator in place but had to modify to fit on water pump end. I grinded off the end to allow the bracket to move freely on the water pump bolt w/o binding on the water pump case. The chrome was marred-up when I got done and didn't like it at all.. I was thinking it would be rechromed if I got it to fit.. When installed, the curve or arch was not enough (wasted my $$) got frustrated, threw it in the back yard only to find it tomorrow and throw it in the garbage.

Suggestions?

Mike
Old 08-06-2011, 08:09 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 529 Likes on 357 Posts

One of your problem is I don't believe there was ever was a drivers side alternator with long water pump set up stock. So, there is no demand for those brackets.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:30 AM
Iggycat2009
Racer

Originally Posted by SteveG75
One of your problem is I don't believe there was ever was a drivers side alternator with long water pump set up stock. So, there is no demand for those brackets.

I was told a 76 should have a long water pump installed, not a short water pump, is that not the case here? The car came with a long water pump installed when I bought it.

Again, I'm using the old 'hump heads' for the earlier Corvettes that do not support any mounting holes. I completely rebuilt the engine and it's sitting on an engine stand almost ready for installtion. This is my hold up.

Mike
Old 08-06-2011, 08:43 AM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 584 Likes on 505 Posts

I believe all C-3's use the corvette pump which is neither long or short, but exclusive to vettes.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:58 AM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Most all chrome brackets use the holes in the heads. You will not find to many custom ones that don't.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:07 AM
thegazman
Drifting

Default thegazman

Your Vette didn't come with a long water pump. It had a water pump unique to Corvette with a heavy duty 3/4" shaft.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:24 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,717 Likes on 2,275 Posts

You need (or need to refer to) a copy of the AIM. It has the vehicle assembly drawings so you know how your car was originally configured. It's best to determine proper brackets, etc. before jumping for the big ticket items. As you've found out, no brackets....no accessory.

And sometimes you can't find the right brackets. But you can measure up the existing hardware so that you can 'adapt' when you have to. Not knowing where the component should go...or not having measurements to know where to put it...is very limiting when altering your car.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Mikes*Corvettes
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Iggycat2009
Again, I'm using the old 'hump heads' for the earlier Corvettes that do not support any mounting holes. I completely rebuilt the engine and it's sitting on an engine stand almost ready for installtion. This is my hold up.

Mike
I have the double hump heads on the 79 project that i'm working on now.
So I also had the same problem about the alternator brackets,but after fitting the bracket which fits on the number one bolt of the headers and using the banana shaped bracket from the water pump it all lines up perfect now.
I am of course using the correct 79 water pump,the only other issue I think you may run into is you may have clearance problems with the tall rocker covers.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

Short water pump is correct and a vette even has a different snout size.
My 76 right now is all original and its a short water pump.
If your going with the drivers side alt set up you need a short vette water pump if you use the factory fan set up.

Get notified of new replies

To Help! installing chrome alternator in factory location...

Quick Reply: Help! installing chrome alternator in factory location...