C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Injection

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 03:53 PM
cottoneg
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Water Injection

Sorry, I am off on a tangent. The post on gas for a 1969 got me thinking about water injection. I do not need it now with my new motor. But I remember researching it when I had the original 350/350 with 11:1 compression ratio.

My friend who is a pilot, mentioned air craft have used it successfully for years. I know Edelbrock had a unit, but it those that tried it said it never worked correctly. Did anyone ever come out with a good water injection unit.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:55 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Water injected into a high compression engine assists in creating a better 'burn' process during combustion. It has the 'side effect' of increasing power, as a result. WWII [piston-powered] aircraft used this to advantage during take-offs and when max power was required.

I don't know a lot about it, but think you have to be in the 11+:1, or higher, compression ratio and some really high octane fuel, for water injection to even be of any benefit at all. It would probably be more applicable to an engine which is supercharged, turbo-charged, or uses nitrous.

Now, if you are "inventive" and come up with an operational system that will allow present-day vehicles to have 12.5:1 compression and burn 93 octane fuel effectively, you could make a lot of money.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 09-05-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:19 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

water injection has much potential, and even on a lower compression engine with a little extra Timing it is helpful. but be careful.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:32 PM
U17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We used water injection on larger radial engines... R2800's... 2800 cu.in. 2500hp ...It would add 350hp on a normal 2150hp,R2800... It was only used for higher weight take-offs.. It improved cooling and combustion...And allowed more manifold pressure ect.... It is made up of 49.5% water, not tap water...49.5% alcohol and 1% fish oil...
Old 09-05-2011, 10:20 PM
Bugman Jeff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you need is a little teeny carburetor for the water system so the engine will only injest as much water as it needs for a given speed/load. Way back in the day my Dad made a simple system that was just a hose from the water tank into the manifold with a fish tank regulator as the (manually operated) valve. Once up to speed on the highway, he'd open the valve and adjust until the car "felt" best. Very crude, but it was good for a few MPG anyway
Old 09-05-2011, 10:49 PM
TOM B1
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Many years a go I hade water injection on my 74 pickup.
It was a Ford F250 with a 390 and I installed a custom turbo.
The water injection worked great.
Today you can do better by adding a methenal injection kit sold by Summit racing and others, just add windshield washer fluid for a COOL charge and add about 75 horses also!
Old 09-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

I used water injection on a few cars years ago, before higher octane fuel was availible. Actually one car still has it on, but not sure if the controllers working. Really just going with higher octane fuel now, even if needing some racing gas mixed in. Keep in mind, if your foots in it a lot, the water/maybe alcohol tanks going to empty out pretty quick.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:14 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
Keep in mind, if your foots in it a lot, the water/maybe alcohol tanks going to empty out pretty quick.

It's intended to match a power-adder...not really practical for daily driving.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Bugman Jeff
Instructor

Out of curiosity, for those of you who've used it, you mention that you can run out fo water pretty quickly. I assume you still use more gas than water. What's the approximate ratio of fuel injected to water injected? Thanks for the info.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:33 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bugman Jeff
Out of curiosity, for those of you who've used it, you mention that you can run out fo water pretty quickly. I assume you still use more gas than water. What's the approximate ratio of fuel injected to water injected? Thanks for the info.
Really no answer to this one, as depend's on what size water injection nozzle you're using. The systems I've used had tanks less than a gallon. When having a little street fun, dont last very long between fill ups. Some guys in our road track group have highly boosted turbo 4 cyl cars, and filling the water tank after every 20 minute session.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:06 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Hilborn injection nozzles screwed into a carb base plate fed on demand with a electric fuel pump could spray any type of compatible fuel into the intake...have to be below the carb to prevent a vacuum leak......cheap NOS type of system......
Old 09-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by U17
We used water injection on larger radial engines... R2800's... 2800 cu.in. 2500hp ...It would add 350hp on a normal 2150hp,R2800... It was only used for higher weight take-offs.. It improved cooling and combustion...And allowed more manifold pressure ect.... It is made up of 49.5% water, not tap water...49.5% alcohol and 1% fish oil...
Another old timer!
My dad flew "The Hump" in WWII and told me they used to inject ethylene glycol at high altitude over the Himalayas. I believe the engines were supercharged and the anti-freeze was used to keep the cylinder head temps down, especially as the mixtures were leaned out to extend the range. They carried 55 gallon drums of fuel for the Flying Tiger P40s in China. When I was in the Navy during the Viet Nam years, I flew on many radial-engined planes (C54s, C118s, S2s and P2s) but never heard of any of them using any kind of injection.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:47 AM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

I am using an old Spearco Water Injection unit on my 406 SBC with 11.5:1 compression ratio. Based on 1/4 mile speeds, it's about 550 hp flywheel naturally aspirated. The system uses a vacuum switch which I've set to 6" Hg to turn on when the vacuum drops below this value (near full throttle), and an electronic control unit which initiates at approximately 1700 rpm and increases the water flow as rpm increases. I've had no problem with knocking when using this system.

The injection fluid is held in a plastic reservoir with a small pump (like used for a windshield washer system). Rather than using water, I use blue windshield washer fluid for the injection fluid (about 40% methanol and the remainder water). And, when I added this Spearco system to my '78 which is used mainly for low and high speed NCCC events, I simply used the existing windshield washing reservoir and pump - the pump is now controlled by the Spearco control unit, and the fluid was re-plumbed to squirt into the carburetor primaries.

I find that for a day's worth of track events, it uses about a half tank of WSW fluid. Of course, no fluid is used for cruising on the highway since vacuum runs at 17 to 19" Hg at highway speeds. Just check it daily and you'll be fine.

I've used this system with engines having 11:1 CRs for about 30 years and have had no problems with it, although I did add a small plastic back-flow check valve in the line to ensure that fluid delivery had no lag due to back flow back to the reservoir.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Thank's for that, as the Spearco's what I still have on one of my cars with the red tank. Is this company still around, or goners. Just know after a night of street racing, the tank was going down pretty quick. Gotta look, as think I still have the manual and a couple nozzle's laying around somewhere.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Ralphbf
Burning Brakes

Years ago I played around with water injection.

We simply hooked it up to a Carb. port that didn't have vacuum at idle.
Used an aquarium air stone in a quart of water.

As crude as this sounds it got rid of the ping when accelerating.

It will also clean all the carbon out of the combustion chamber.

There are different size stones to play with.
for $10 bucks it fun to play with, and it does work.

There was a guy selling platinum injection units.
is was a liquid solution and he used basically the same system.
Just a different liquid.

Ralph
Old 09-07-2011, 11:36 AM
U17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
Another old timer!
My dad flew "The Hump" in WWII and told me they used to inject ethylene glycol at high altitude over the Himalayas. I believe the engines were supercharged and the anti-freeze was used to keep the cylinder head temps down, especially as the mixtures were leaned out to extend the range. They carried 55 gallon drums of fuel for the Flying Tiger P40s in China. When I was in the Navy during the Viet Nam years, I flew on many radial-engined planes (C54s, C118s, S2s and P2s) but never heard of any of them using any kind of injection.
I'm not a "old timer"... yet... I was just lucky to grow up around those great planes ... Then flew airshows,freight ect in them... And like old cars you work on them often !!!
Old 09-07-2011, 03:05 PM
cottoneg
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 120 Posts

I could understand adding alcohol for aircraft, to keep the water from freezing at high altitudes. Unless the weather is below freezing, why would you add alcohol and fish oil?

I did not know Spearco made a water injection unit. If guys with high compression engines are having trouble finding good gas and have issues with detonation, why would more people not use water injection?

Get notified of new replies

To Water Injection

Old 09-07-2011, 07:57 PM
U17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

More complete burn and lube.....
Old 09-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Bugman Jeff
Instructor

Alcohol also vaporizes faster, cooling the intake charge faster.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:24 PM
mtcyclon
Heel & Toe

Water injection has come a long way since the old systems. Snow performance has several kits using computer control for flow settings. Arent electronics great!?

Quick Reply: Water Injection