C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

76 auto shifter moves freely without going into any gears

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 11:30 PM
1976_Stingray
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 76 auto shifter moves freely without going into any gears

I have a 76 with an automatic transmission. Tonight when I got home the switch would not turn all the way back and the car would roll in park. I searched the forum and found that it was related to the steering column shift interlock cable. I removed the cable from the steering column, moved the lever up and was able to turn the switch to take the key out.

I reattached the cable to the lever and sprayed some lubricant on the cable to clean it up and see if I could get it to extend far enough to allow the switch to turn to the lock position. I got inside the car and moved the shifter back and forth and noticed that when I shifted out of park and shifted all the way down it only went into one gear and not into reverse, neutral, 3, 2, 1. I shifted all the way back up and it felt like it shifted out of that gear and into park, but since then the shifter moves very freely and doesn’t go into any gear. I can reach under the car and put the car into first gear by moving the piece the steering column shift interlock cable is connected to at the transmission. When I get into the car the shifter will shift out of first through all the gears back into park, but then when I pull the shifter out of park it moves very easily and won’t shift into any gears again.

As freely as the shifter is moving I thought it might be a problem with the cable from the shifter to the trans. Since it will shift through the gears from first to park after I reach under the car and put it into gear at the transmission I am stumped on what is going on. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-12-2011, 06:13 AM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

Maybe a bad shift cable?

Neal
Old 09-12-2011, 02:19 PM
1976_Stingray
Heel & Toe

That's what I was thinking. Since I can get it to work somewhat I wasn't quite sure and thought I would ask here. I need to get my manual out and make sure there aren't any retaining clips that have come off. I may try an take the cable off when I get home and see if I can tell anything. Thanks for responding.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:09 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 425 Likes on 386 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I've seen the nut that holds the linkage on the trans come loose too. Might be as simple as replacing the nut.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:12 PM
1976_Stingray
Heel & Toe

I took the console out and removed the retainer that connects the cable to the shifter and the end of the rod that is connected to the shifter came out of the shaft. The cable had snapped in two not far from where it connects to the rod. I have checked several Corvette parts websites and noticed that the shift cable is anywhere from 64.95 to 117.99. Is there a difference in the quality of the parts these companies are selling? I don't want to overpay, but I don't want to get a cheaper inferior quality part.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Carlos840
Racer

I might be wrong but from my experience you gate what you pay for!
Every time i bought a cheaper part thinking i would save i few bucks i ended up with some chinese copy that didnt fit properly and ended up buying the good part in the end!
Old 09-13-2011, 09:28 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 425 Likes on 386 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Look close at the end of the cable where it's broken. Ive seen those cables burned in two. Usually, the just weld themselves to the outer sleeve, but it's also possible for them to burn. A bad ground is the common culprit- starter current.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:07 AM
1976_Stingray
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look at the broken end of the cable tonight when I get home.

Get notified of new replies

To 76 auto shifter moves freely without going into any gears

Quick Reply: 76 auto shifter moves freely without going into any gears