C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has 500 horsepower with an electric fan?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 11:19 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvpkvYt-R5g

Had a 540-550hp 350 in this vid, 2300cfm 16 spal with straight blades
You can "just hear it" which I like, at least I know its running. (1:13)
Cant hear it inside the car
Indicator light inside would be better.

Cooled it with a stock type 3 row just fine.
Not a Vette but you get the idea.
This was with underdrive pullies also.
Dont think most need as much fan as they think
See if it handles the new stroker or not

Last edited by cv67; 10-02-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:33 PM
dboz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
Looks like a cheap no name off-shore rip off of the Spal unit. Sure, it is less than half the price of the real Spal unit, but do you seriously think that EBay fan is just as good as the real Spal unit? Cheap things are cheap for a reason: They are cheap! You really do get what you pay for.

Spal fans are very high quality units, using brushless fully sealed dustproof and waterproof motors. Also, as far as I know, Spal is the only company that lists the airflow CFM of their fans under static pressure, unlike the rest that only list a no static pressure airflow CFM number. Big difference.
LOL at this. It has a 5 year warranty (two more than your super duper SPAL and their 3 year is from date of manufacture, not purchase!!). Why don't they put their money where their mouth is if it is so good? If I need to replace it after that, I can almost buy 3 (15 years worth) for the price of one SPAL. What makes you think it is an off shore rip off? Only one overpriced brand name is any good? I think most Chevy products are cheap for a reason also (you don't get what you pay for to subsidize unions, but whatever).

I assume you purchased the rather over priced unit, so bashing this one makes you feel justified in getting ripped off. Jeesh, sorry I brought a new idea to the table. I love my chinese knockoff, sweet running, working good, high flow, impressed every motorhead who checked it out junk fan.

Last edited by dboz; 10-03-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:48 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by dboz
LOL at this. It has a 5 year warranty (two more than your super duper SPAL and their 3 year is from date of manufacture, not purchase!!). Why don't they put their money where their mouth is if it is so good? If I need to replace it after that, I can almost buy 3 (15 years worth) for the price of one SPAL. What makes you think it is an off shore rip off? Only one overpriced brand name is any good? I think most Chevy products are cheap for a reason also (you don't get what you pay for to subsidize unions, but whatever).

I assume you purchased the rather over priced unit, so bashing this one makes you feel justified in getting ripped off. Jeesh, sorry I brought a new idea to the table. I love my chinese knockoff, sweet running, working good, high flow, impressed every motorhead who checked it out junk fan.
Dude you can LOL all you want....junk is junk, cheap is cheap for good reason! You don't think that fan is a cheap Chinese no-name imitation of the original Spal unit? It looks exactly the same! You get what you pay for, no exceptions, ever. I was happy to spend the money on a high quality electric fan to protect my engine from overheating, there was no way I was going to cheap out on it when I had so much money invested in my engine! No need to be angry because you can't afford to buy the good stuff!

Last edited by 7t2vette; 10-04-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:53 PM
dboz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude you can LOL all you want....junk is junk, cheap is cheap for good reason! You don't think that fan is a cheap Chinese no-name imitation of the original Spal unit? It looks exactly the same! You get what you pay for, no exceptions, ever. I was happy to spend the money on a high quality electric fan to protect my engine from overheating, there was no way I was going to cheap out on it when I had so much money invested in my engine! No need to be angry because you can't afford to buy the good stuff!
RIGHT!! Just so you know, most everything is made in China now, and a lot of it is not junk. I don't know who made this unit, I threw out the paperwork. But you keep hanging onto the fifties.

Last edited by dboz; 10-04-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:12 AM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cant afford alot of things either .No need to get get personal just because someone has found a part that may do the job for half the price of another part.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:46 AM
Patro46
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Always someone out to **** on someone elses parade.
I remember a similar conversation when I did my LSx swap. DeWitt had a solution....at a price. Like three times the money.
I went with an aluminum crossflow radiator, and a set of Focus fans. I had more armchair engineers tell me my setup wouldn't cool the LS3 that other engineers were saying wouldn't fit.

Funny that. My cheap setup that pissed off people who had 3 or 4 times the money kept my LS3 cool until I installed the LSA supercharger.

Now my cheapo setup cools a 650+ hp supercharged LS3, with the windows up and the AC running in spite of other armchair engineers said wouldn't fit nor cool.

I'd give you the moral if the story but if I did, I'd send some engineer into the realm of todays crybaby libertard snowflakes that need fresh coloring books, hot coco and trauma puppies

Last edited by Patro46; 01-24-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:12 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Bet you just knew i would toss my 2 cents in this one,
There has been a mindset for many years on the forum that paying more always means its better...look at all the dewitts debates...they are made better look better fit better and ahem, cool no better than that cheap import radiator that might have fitting issues and isnt as pretty and might not be made as well.
Electric fans,
The simple fact is that dual 11 spal so many people love even spal on their website doesn't recomend it for c3 corvettes...geez then how does it cool so many c3s so well?
Because in most all cases the builder has an overkill aftermarket aluminum radiator.

Get as mad as you like but some knock off no name spal dual11 clones sold on flea bay are junk...there is a thread on here how they sheer the fans mounting hole...others just crack apart, if you got one that cools your car and lasts that is super i am all for saving a buck but some import stuff is junk.

If i was wanting lots of fan bang for buck look at the Lincoln and others,

Me i went with dual derale, covers more of my expensive core that is the same as the op has..than the dual spal and moves more air.. .nope not cheap but i paid for peace of mind and a better product in my fan just like i did with my radiator
Old 01-24-2017, 12:28 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by The Money Pit
I had a mishap recently, where I threw my balancer through the hood at 7000 rpms, and am still in the process of fixing things...One thing leads to the next,...
WOW! Even more ironic considering your forum name! ;-)

Adam
Old 01-24-2017, 12:59 PM
wzschirnt
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Even more MORE ironic is this thread is almost 6 years old.

Hope he figured out his problem(s).

Later
walt z.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:03 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by wzschirnt
Even more MORE ironic is this thread is almost 6 years old.

Hope he figured out his problem(s).

Later
walt z.
The good threads live forever.

Never understood the thread ***** who at the same time chastise people for asking a question directly (rather than using the Search feature) and then chastise them when they actually use the search feature and then add their specific questions on top of old threads that they find via searching.

I'd rather see the "oldies, but goodies" revisited and kept up-to-date rather than infinite thread sprawl.

Adam
Old 01-24-2017, 03:27 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
The good threads live forever.

Never understood the thread ***** who at the same time chastise people for asking a question directly (rather than using the Search feature) and then chastise them when they actually use the search feature and then add their specific questions on top of old threads that they find via searching.

I'd rather see the "oldies, but goodies" revisited and kept up-to-date rather than infinite thread sprawl.

Adam
I never understood the forum policy of starting a new thread rather than hitting an old thread which still has good tech...seems if everyone starts new threads each time things get very lost and fragmented.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:01 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by The13Bats
I paid for peace of mind and a better product in my fan just like I did with my radiator.

I have far too much money invested in my engine to take a chance with a cheap fan and rad. I stand by my statement that cheap is cheap for a reason, and you always get what you pay for. Real quality costs real money.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:07 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

These threads need to be updated from time to time as new products and technology emerges. As an aside the Lincoln mark VIII FAN IS A KILLER UNIT.the focus fan may be enough but the mark VIII unit is very good.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:52 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
These threads need to be updated from time to time as new products and technology emerges. As an aside the Lincoln mark VIII FAN IS A KILLER UNIT.the focus fan may be enough but the mark VIII unit is very good.
I ran a Taurus 2 speed fan doing some tests with both a 383 and 454 the radiator in the tests was a worn factory unit...the taurus fan cooled both...high speed would come on at lights go off while moving slow would go off if speeds stayed fast enough....oddly the 454 was easier to cool than the 383
The drawback is the shroud wasted some core...
Old 01-24-2017, 06:26 PM
USAFVeteran
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by fugawi
GOT A FAN FROM A LINCOLN MK 8 FOR 70 BUCKS. also got the control fromwww.dccontrol.com runs at 180* allday no mater how hot it gets.. it's at 500 hp also..
This is what I'm using, and I'm 500-550hp. The Lincoln Mark VII fan is a great fan, I live in Tucson, AZ and it gets 115 here in the summer. The best thing, it fits without a ton of modification
Old 01-24-2017, 07:10 PM
LT1M21Vette
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
I never understood the forum policy of starting a new thread rather than hitting an old thread which still has good tech...seems if everyone starts new threads each time things get very lost and fragmented.
Nothing wrong with adding more info into an old thread.

But, you look, well kinda odd and weird, to put it mildly, when you start to argue with someone over a post they made 6 years ago.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:06 AM
wzschirnt
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1M21Vette
Nothing wrong with adding more info into an old thread.

But, you look, well kinda odd and weird, to put it mildly, when you start to argue with someone over a post they made 6 years ago.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:55 AM
Captain bob
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have 525 hp and i use two electric fans 13" installed on a diagonal . dewitt made a custom shrod that mounts on stock radiator support.i use two seperate sensors and relays ,one sensor in drivers side cylinder head at 170 degrees the other sensor driving the other fan is set at 190 degrees set in passenger side head .both fans work independent of each other. only one time in bumper to bumper trafic at 90 degrees did the second come on . engine runs 175 degrees most of the time. radiator is stock a/c---or BB copper radiator to 71 vette.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:25 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by Patro46

Always someone out to **** on someone elses parade.
I remember a similar conversation when I did my LSx swap. DeWitt had a solution....at a price. Like three times the money.
I went with an aluminum crossflow radiator, and a set of Focus fans. I had more armchair engineers tell me my setup wouldn't cool the LS3 that other engineers were saying wouldn't fit.

Funny that. My cheap setup that pissed off people who had 3 or 4 times the money kept my LS3 cool until I installed the LSA supercharger.

Now my cheapo setup cools a 650+ hp supercharged LS3, with the windows up and the AC running in spite of other armchair engineers said wouldn't fit nor cool.

I'd give you the moral if the story but if I did, I'd send some engineer into the realm of todays crybaby libertard snowflakes that need fresh coloring books, hot coco and trauma puppies
Everyone can say what they like about the forum policy of closing old threads and asking you to start something current, but there is absolutely no value in digging up a 6 year old thread for posts like this and the exchanges that ensue.

Quick Reply: Who has 500 horsepower with an electric fan?