C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

71 horn repair = non-stop honking

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Sophocles
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 71 horn repair = non-stop honking

I've independently tested the horns - good to go. I replaced the horn relay - seemingly straight forward. I replaced horn components at the steering wheel (the spring, insulator, plunger and horn contact assembly). I then discovered the horn ground wire (black third wire) going from the steering wheel area down to the harmonica-shaped turn signal switch connector at the base of the steering column under the dash had been cut. (Bubba?) I reconnected it and then tried to reconnect the positive battery cable to the battery. When I do the horn sounds continuously.

I removed the spring, insulator, plunger and horn contact and I still have the problem. Any ideas on where to look and what to be looking for? I know I could disconnect the horns, but I'd prefer to have a functional horn. Thanks.

Mr. Frustrated
Old 10-01-2011, 10:21 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Try removing the center screw holding the cover to the bottom of the steering column.
If the center screw is a long one it will ground out the black wire sometimes.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:58 PM
Sophocles
Intermediate

Default Getting closer

Thanks. I have the cover off and have the problem. When I disconnect the black ground wire just above the turn signal switch connector, then connecting the battery doesn't make the horn go off. Hence, as you were suspecting already, the grounding out (closing) of the circuit must be occurring somewhere up the steering column from where the black ground wire was cut. Any suggestions on dissecting the steering column? Thanks again.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:04 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Did you replace this part ,if broken it will cause the same condition ?
http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...ducts_id=24018
Old 10-01-2011, 11:08 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Post #3 shows the plastic insulator
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-turn-off.html
Old 10-01-2011, 11:31 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

What type steering column? Do you have a tilt & telescoping column or a standard (non-adjustable) type.

If you have a T&T column then you will need the plastic retainer shown above. If you have a standard column that part is not required.

Here is a paper on trouble shooting the steering column and other horn parts.
http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?p=909

These two pictures are referenced in the above paper. The 1977-82 steering wheel picture is correct for the earlier 1969-75 steering wheels as well.
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y38...cRev03FE04.jpg

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y38...heelBlowup.jpg

Jim
Old 10-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Sophocles
Intermediate

Default still honkin

Thanks Roger and Jim. You guys are great! Unfortunately (or fortunately) I have a standard steering column, not a T&T. The Horn Diagnostics Paper is super. I will follow its instructions to tighten the turn signal level screw and look for other shorting possibilities while I have the hub off this time. Will let you know what happens. Thanks again very much.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:31 AM
Sophocles
Intermediate

Default Hornless for life

Hi Jim and Roger,
I took off the steering wheel, hub, O-ring retaining clip, lock plate & cancelling cam and looked for broken plastic or metal touching where it shouldn't. Obviously, I couldn't see much, but I didn't feel competent to dismantle more. With all of that (including the blinker lever & its screw) removed, I still got a continuous honk when I connected the battery. Guess it's time for a Bubba fix - maybe I'll mount a can air horn on my dash!

Thanks for your help. I know a lot more than I did, for whatever that's worth.
Sophocles
Old 10-03-2011, 08:29 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sophocles
Hi Jim and Roger,
I took off the steering wheel, hub, O-ring retaining clip, lock plate & cancelling cam and looked for broken plastic or metal touching where it shouldn't. Obviously, I couldn't see much, but I didn't feel competent to dismantle more. With all of that (including the blinker lever & its screw) removed, I still got a continuous honk when I connected the battery. Guess it's time for a Bubba fix - maybe I'll mount a can air horn on my dash!

Thanks for your help. I know a lot more than I did, for whatever that's worth.
Sophocles
It sounds as if the black wire that runs up the column is cut or penetrated and grounding somewhere but it could still be something at the top.
You could fish a new black wire through the column and bypass the old one.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:43 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Use the diagnostic paper to determine if the problem is inside the steering column or down in the underdash wiring or relay.
Jim
Old 10-03-2011, 05:17 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sophocles
Hi Jim and Roger,
I took off the steering wheel, hub, O-ring retaining clip, lock plate & cancelling cam and looked for broken plastic or metal touching where it shouldn't. Obviously, I couldn't see much, but I didn't feel competent to dismantle more.
Sophocles
Whats your status ?

From what you wrote above ,your 3 screws from sliding the turn signal switch up and exposing the bottom side of it so you can see the black horn wire.
I have a straight 69 column I can take some pics of with the TSS in place (like your is now)and slid up so you can see the bottom side if that will make you more confident to do it.Let me know.

edit-Here's the back side. The yellow lines show the horn black wire ground path.
Be gentle sliding the switch up and push a little from the harmonica connector end.

Last edited by ...Roger...; 10-03-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:09 AM
Sophocles
Intermediate

Default Horn repair - round 2

Roger,
Thanks for that great pic. Just when I was resigned to give up on repairing the horn, I checked back here. Your pic of the back side with the black wire has boosted my confidence to try harder. It will be days or weeks before I get the block of time required, but thanks to you and your pic, I will be trying again soon. Thank you. Thank you.
Sophocles

Get notified of new replies

To 71 horn repair = non-stop honking

Quick Reply: 71 horn repair = non-stop honking