C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carburetor questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 05:41 AM
Iron_dog
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mashman
The April 2010 edition of 'Corvette Fever' had a tech article called 'Servicing the Rochester Quadrajet Carburetor'. It has lots of pictures. I can scan it, and email it to you if you want.

Also, another thing I found useful the first time I rebuilt my quadrajet, I bought an old quadrajet of the same style to use as a reference. That was a good thing too. When I went to put my carb back together, I couldn't see how the fast idle, and choke linkage went back together. Having a second carb as a reference helped figure that out. Then you can rebuild the old one, and have a spare carb.
Great thank you! I will PM you my email!
The problem it's hard for me to find an old quadrajet here in Italy! This is for sure a good advise, at first I will try without, I hope I will have no problems!!!
Old 10-19-2011, 08:17 AM
Iron_dog
Racer

Default Rebuild kits

Which rebuild kits you suggest me??? I was looking for Cliffs ones but which one of the two???
Old 10-19-2011, 09:01 AM
a1sensei
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of Lars' Q-jet papers has a list of carb numbers and which cars they came on. This will let you know if you have the original carb or another. Then you can find the right kit more easily. I use the Sorenson kits available at Autozone, although I have had issues with some of their substitution kits (X is the right kit but Y will substitute for X). If you do not have Lars e-mail, PM me and I will give it to you.

God bless, Sensei
Old 10-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Iron_dog
Racer

Originally Posted by a1sensei
One of Lars' Q-jet papers has a list of carb numbers and which cars they came on. This will let you know if you have the original carb or another. Then you can find the right kit more easily. I use the Sorenson kits available at Autozone, although I have had issues with some of their substitution kits (X is the right kit but Y will substitute for X). If you do not have Lars e-mail, PM me and I will give it to you.

God bless, Sensei
I've the original one SN 7044207 for my 74 corvette and I've already read Lars papers thank you!
Old 10-19-2011, 11:04 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

You just need his basic kit, it comes with the good viton accel pump.
But since you are in Italy, I would get the better kit that includes the proper later float etc. Not that much difference in price.
Get some extra gaskets too.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:09 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default With pics

Hardest part for me was part #12, removing and installing the choke rod and getting #49 to line up.

You must remove this part to get the top off. If you remove screw #45 then 46-47-48 come off and you can remove 12 but #49 comes out with it and reinstalling it is difficult.

I was later told to twist the choke rod to get it off and leave leave screw #46 alone and to reinstall twist again.

Anyone ever try that?
Old 10-24-2011, 07:43 AM
Iron_dog
Racer

Guys, My QJet has a EGR valve that has been disconnected.
My questions are:
1) is it OK to just disconnect EGR or I've to do something else?
2) as EGR works only at low RPM, is this the reason of my problems at low RPM (a leaking EGR for example)?
3) is it true that EGR carbs have different primary rods and run lean if you remove EGR?

Thank you
Old 10-24-2011, 08:24 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The Q-J does not have an EGR valve. The EGR is on the intake. It should not be open at idle & opens above that & closes at WOT. Your pic. shows a missing PCV breather on pass. side valve cover. There should be a PCV valve on driver side valve cover should have hose to carb. port. All carb ports should have hose or blocked.

Did you adjust idle mixture, change the fuel filter & clean the carb?

Using nos. from the pic. shown above:
The primary piston 22 holds the primary rods 23 up out of the jets. You can try through the vent tube gently pushing down on the primary piston 22 which should spring back up- if not post. Some spray carb cleaner down the vent tube also. You may need to start a Q-J topic.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:21 PM
Iron_dog
Racer

Is it a problem the passenger valve cover has not a breather??? I will try to post pics later...
Old 11-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Iron_dog
Racer

Here are some pics: I've just ordered a HP carb kit from Cliff and at first can you help me identify the steps in order to remove the carb from the manifold??? Thank you

Last edited by Iron_dog; 11-01-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Originally Posted by Iron_dog
Is it a problem the passenger valve cover has not a breather??? I will try to post pics later...
The PCV is basically a calibrated vacuum leak & that's the air source. Open can let debris fall in. Just use the tube to air cleaner or measure the hole & get a breather at the auto parts.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Originally Posted by Iron_dog
Here are some pics: I've just ordered a HP carb kit from Cliff and at first can you help me identify the steps in order to remove the carb from the manifold??? Thank you
At the carb front are 2 long bolts & at the back 2 short bolts. A flare wrench is normally used to disconnect the fuel line.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:35 PM
det2orl
Advanced

I have a carb question. I don't mean to hijack anyone's thread but it doesn't seem like it would warrant a new one.

I have 454 with a holley carb #7002-1. Apparently this is a double pumper, vacuum 650 cfm.

Anyway, the car idles rough, especially right after startup. It also doesn't seem to not have the power that it should.

I just got the headers replaced and a new exhaust system installed. 2.5" all the way back. It almost seems like it is "missing". Plugs, wires and timing were recently replaced/corrected but it still doesn't run quite the way it should.

I recently found out that my battery needs to be replaced but that wouldn't effect how it actually runs, right?

I guess what I'm asking is will rebuilding my carb fix the problems I am experiencing or does it sound like there is more wrong?
Old 11-01-2011, 02:06 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Your fuel line looks kinked at the last bend before it goes into the carb. that could be a problem
Old 11-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Originally Posted by det2orl
I have a carb question. I don't mean to hijack anyone's thread but it doesn't seem like it would warrant a new one.

I have 454 with a holley carb #7002-1. Apparently this is a double pumper, vacuum 650 cfm.

Anyway, the car idles rough, especially right after startup. It also doesn't seem to not have the power that it should.

I just got the headers replaced and a new exhaust system installed. 2.5" all the way back. It almost seems like it is "missing". Plugs, wires and timing were recently replaced/corrected but it still doesn't run quite the way it should.

I recently found out that my battery needs to be replaced but that wouldn't effect how it actually runs, right?

I guess what I'm asking is will rebuilding my carb fix the problems I am experiencing or does it sound like there is more wrong?
You need to do another topic. Battery is not the issue.
A double pumper has 2 accel. pumps. A vac. sec. has 1 accel. pump.
Should be a 650 spreadbore vac. sec.
"missing"
Check that wires 5 & 7 are not run together, well separated & cross.
It's possible it has more cam than stock giving it a loping idle. See
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...post1578444578
Old 11-01-2011, 03:03 PM
det2orl
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ganey
You need to do another topic. Battery is not the issue.
A double pumper has 2 accel. pumps. A vac. sec. has 1 accel. pump.
Should be a 650 spreadbore vac. sec.
"missing"
Check that wires 5 & 7 are not run together, well separated & cross.
It's possible it has more cam than stock giving it a loping idle. See
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...post1578444578
Thank you, done
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...post1579108537

Last edited by det2orl; 11-01-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:13 PM
TX-Techman
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 3 Posts

I Purchased a rebuilt Quadrajet from Summit Racing. It is rebuilt by Holley and works great. My original 69 had issues with wear on the body where the throttle shaft goes through and needed bushings. The replacement bolted right on and works great.

Get notified of new replies

To Carburetor questions

Old 11-03-2011, 07:27 AM
Iron_dog
Racer

At the carb front are 2 long bolts & at the back 2 short bolts. A flare wrench is normally used to disconnect the fuel line.
I suppose I've also to disconnect the link I've marked.
What is it?

Old 11-03-2011, 07:52 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Yes, that's the choke linkage. There is also throttle linkage to disconnect.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:57 AM
Iron_dog
Racer

Yes, that's the choke linkage. There is also throttle linkage to disconnect.
Is it the "divorced choke"? what is its purpose?

Quick Reply: Carburetor questions