C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carburetor questions

Old 10-11-2011, 08:00 AM
Iron_dog
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Carburetor questions

Hi to all, I've a stock 350ci and I "should" have a QJet on it (the motor itself is a Crate motor from '94), how can I check which type of carburetor I've installed? Thank you for your help!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:11 AM
Dantana
Burning Brakes

post a pic of it
Old 10-11-2011, 09:35 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,597 Posts

This link has a picture of a Quadrajet
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-question.html

This link has a picture of a type of Holley
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-question.html

This link has a picture of an Edelbrock

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-1406/

Last edited by MelWff; 10-11-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:15 AM
Iron_dog
Racer

Looking at the pictures I realized I've a Quadrajet!
So, as I've problems from 1500 to 2500 RPM, I was planning to replace it with a new one.
I was thinking about an Edelbrock with electric choke. My question is: is it better a 500 CFM or a 600 CFM for my stock motor? I've calculated the CFM of my motor and 500 should be enough BUT somebody says 600 is better....
Old 10-13-2011, 07:13 AM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_dog
Looking at the pictures I realized I've a Quadrajet!
So, as I've problems from 1500 to 2500 RPM, I was planning to replace it with a new one.
I was thinking about an Edelbrock with electric choke. My question is: is it better a 500 CFM or a 600 CFM for my stock motor? I've calculated the CFM of my motor and 500 should be enough BUT somebody says 600 is better....
Going in the wrong direction with an Edelbrock, just have somebody rebuild your quad if you wont run a Holley.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:27 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 519 Likes on 349 Posts

What type of problems? Trying to fix something by just swapping parts is generally expensive and solves nothing.

95% of "carb" problems are really ignition problems.

I expect that a little recurving of the mechanical advance and setting it at 32-34 degrees mechanical all in by 2500 rpm will solve your problem. Most small blocks like 36 degrees of advance but the fast burn heads like a little less.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:29 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by iron_dog
... My question is: Is it better a 500 cfm or a 600 cfm for my stock motor? I've calculated the cfm of my motor and 500 should be enough but somebody says 600 is better....
Old 10-13-2011, 08:37 AM
boltnut
Drifting

If he doesn't know a Holley from a qjet on sight he won't want learn to tune a holley. I'd get that qjet rebuilt by a pro to stock specs. True. The ignition system should be rehabbed at the same time.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Iron_dog
Racer

Originally Posted by SteveG75
What type of problems? Trying to fix something by just swapping parts is generally expensive and solves nothing.

95% of "carb" problems are really ignition problems.

I expect that a little recurving of the mechanical advance and setting it at 32-34 degrees mechanical all in by 2500 rpm will solve your problem. Most small blocks like 36 degrees of advance but the fast burn heads like a little less.
I'm really at the starting point of the learning curve so I need to understand what to do... the problems I've seen is that during that range the car is not smooth and the mechanic from which I bought the car said it's a carb problem and replacing it will solve...
Old 10-13-2011, 09:51 AM
Iron_dog
Racer

Originally Posted by boltnut
If he doesn't know a Holley from a qjet on sight he won't want learn to tune a holley. I'd get that qjet rebuilt by a pro to stock specs. True. The ignition system should be rehabbed at the same time.
This is not true, I don't know but it doesn't means I don't want to learn... I want to learn because I like to play with these things.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:56 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The Q-J is a spread bore carb & Holley has a replacement carb that fits.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:17 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 519 Likes on 349 Posts

I'm really at the starting point of the learning curve so I need to understand what to do... the problems I've seen is that during that range the car is not smooth and the mechanic from which I bought the car said it's a carb problem and replacing it will solve...
This is shotgun maintenance. No diagnosis, just replacing parts.

What does "not smooth" mean? Is it jerky? Lazy on throttle tip-in? Rough?

BTW, unless the carb has been mangled by a previous owner or mechanic, a rebuild kit is a lot cheaper than a new carb. Of course, that cost a lot less and requires some skills. Also, don't believe the advertising hype, just beacuse they call it a Performer carb, does not mean that it is a high performance part.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Iron_dog
Racer

Originally Posted by SteveG75
This is shotgun maintenance. No diagnosis, just replacing parts.

What does "not smooth" mean? Is it jerky? Lazy on throttle tip-in? Rough?

BTW, unless the carb has been mangled by a previous owner or mechanic, a rebuild kit is a lot cheaper than a new carb. Of course, that cost a lot less and requires some skills. Also, don't believe the advertising hype, just beacuse they call it a Performer carb, does not mean that it is a high performance part.
Jerky, absolutely! I'd love to take off the QJ and fix it, it would be great also because I could learn more on my car! But I don't know how much "difficult" it's and Edelbrock ones have electric choke which can help me in cold times...

Last edited by Iron_dog; 10-13-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:10 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Jerky, absolutely! I'd love to take off the QJ and fix it, it would be great also because I could learn more on my car! But I don't know how much "difficult" it's and Edelbrock ones have electric choke which can help me in cold times...
Electric chokes don't work any better than the stock OEM mechanical chokes. Fix yours while you're fixing the other issues.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:16 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

Where are you located, there are members here that would help you out or direct you to a local who can.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:59 AM
Iron_dog
Racer

Originally Posted by '75
Where are you located, there are members here that would help you out or direct you to a local who can.
Italy!
Old 10-17-2011, 11:38 AM
a1sensei
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a non-plastic bucket and parts brush, an air compressor (if you are U.S. military, the base auto shop should have one) a gallon of laquer thinner and goggles. Order a carb kit, nitrophyl float and fuel filter. E-mail Lars Grimsrud for his q-jet choke set up proceedure.

Take the carb off the car and disassemble it, seating all adjustments first, counting and recording turns (do NOT take off the butterflies). Soak everything in the bucket full of laquer thinner for a day (cover the bucket and keep it in a well ventilated, non-inhabited area). Use the brush to remove any visible residue. Put on the goggles and blow compressed air through all passages untill completely clean.

Re-assemble substituting the new parts in the kit for the old, putting all adjustments back where they were originally and adjusting the choke per Lars' instructions.

Bolt it back on and you should be good to go 95% of the time. If not, it may be an ignition problem after all, or adjustments may have been "Bubba'd". We can get you through that either way.

God bless, Sensei

Get notified of new replies

To Carburetor questions

Old 10-18-2011, 04:29 AM
Iron_dog
Racer

Originally Posted by a1sensei
Get a non-plastic bucket and parts brush, an air compressor (if you are U.S. military, the base auto shop should have one) a gallon of laquer thinner and goggles. Order a carb kit, nitrophyl float and fuel filter. E-mail Lars Grimsrud for his q-jet choke set up proceedure.

Take the carb off the car and disassemble it, seating all adjustments first, counting and recording turns (do NOT take off the butterflies). Soak everything in the bucket full of laquer thinner for a day (cover the bucket and keep it in a well ventilated, non-inhabited area). Use the brush to remove any visible residue. Put on the goggles and blow compressed air through all passages untill completely clean.

Re-assemble substituting the new parts in the kit for the old, putting all adjustments back where they were originally and adjusting the choke per Lars' instructions.

Bolt it back on and you should be good to go 95% of the time. If not, it may be an ignition problem after all, or adjustments may have been "Bubba'd". We can get you through that either way.

God bless, Sensei
Cool!! I think I'll have a lot of fun doing these things! Thank you!
Old 10-18-2011, 07:43 AM
stingr4y
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet you can also download the manual. It has exploded views, and should explain how it works.

I found this to be extremely helpful on mine.

When done, you will have learned much, and feel good about it.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:44 AM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The April 2010 edition of 'Corvette Fever' had a tech article called 'Servicing the Rochester Quadrajet Carburetor'. It has lots of pictures. I can scan it, and email it to you if you want.

Also, another thing I found useful the first time I rebuilt my quadrajet, I bought an old quadrajet of the same style to use as a reference. That was a good thing too. When I went to put my carb back together, I couldn't see how the fast idle, and choke linkage went back together. Having a second carb as a reference helped figure that out. Then you can rebuild the old one, and have a spare carb.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carburetor questions