C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bee Jay's hood lightening mods!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
Sorry, I'm not feeling it either. If I could buy a new ZR1 the very first thing I'd do would be to replace the windowed hood. JMO
You would? I'd take the plastic engine cover off so you could see the blower. I love looking at hot engines. Not having to raise the hood ala Ferrari 458 is cool in my humble opinion.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Bee Jay
You would? I'd take the plastic engine cover off so you could see the blower. I love looking at hot engines. Not having to raise the hood ala Ferrari 458 is cool in my humble opinion.
The engines are pretty ugly underneath the covers, until you get into coil relocation and whatnot.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:26 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 578 Likes on 460 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

now if i could find a crower fuel injection unit with short stacks that storm window in the hood would be cool.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 772 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
The engines are pretty ugly underneath the covers, until you get into coil relocation and whatnot.

Mechanically, the LS engines are nice pieces of engineering. But aesthetically they're hard on the eyes.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:25 PM
riggs 74
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In stock form the LS engines are ugly, But when you take the time to make every thing look good, they are actually unique to look at. I have seen quite a few LS setups that look fantastic under the hood, not to mention I am installing one in my ride and I will make sure it looks great before I call it done with out adding plastic covers.

After so many years of the same old small block, big block that have been done for so many years, I often over look most of them because I have seen so many that look a like. Now like 7t9l82 said, a nice little fuel injected setup with the short stacks looks killer on the old Gen 1 motors and that would look great through the glass hood.

Riggs.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:00 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
now if i could find a crower fuel injection unit with short stacks that storm window in the hood would be cool.
Nah, even with short stacks they'd still be too tall...

...besides, Crowers don't need no added bling.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:42 AM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Using the template that comes with the power window, I marked the hood for cutting. I think the lines of the window will go good with the vents. Next I need to cut out the window.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Using the supplied template, I cut out the hole for the lexan window today. The hood is down to 28lbs, but the lexan window and steel frame will probably put two or three back on. The hole would be perfect for a blower. I spent the rest of the day sanding the hood. All I need now is some primer.
Bee Jay

Old 11-11-2011, 10:02 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Keep in mind our motors are offset to the pass side an inch or so, what they're peekin at won't be centered...
Old 11-12-2011, 12:19 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by yellow 72
Keep in mind our motors are offset to the pass side an inch or so, what they're peekin at won't be centered...
Thanks for the reminder. That is why I had to modify my trans and driveshaft tunnel slightly when I installed my 700R4 and my fatass 3" aluminum driveshaft.
Bee Jay
Old 11-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Also will give popo probable cause to pull your over if your car had CA plates on it, which I know it doesn't. Looks like awesome work, BeeJay. Looking forward to the finish.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:49 PM
kevinquirk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood Windows

Bee Jay,
Your car is looking great. I appreciate the comments about my hood windows.
Feedback is really important. We're working hard to make the process simple, inexpensive, high quality and customizable. It's easy to spend tons and tons of money on our cars in the process of making it a truly bespoke show piece.
I want to have what I want, with my own individual signiture that looks like what I would build myself, if I had the time and resources there to do it.
That's how I am proceeding. That was a major desire from just about everyone I talked to at SEMA.
Give me what I want, at a very reasonable cost and I'll take it from there.
DONE.

Keep the pics rolling in I want to see everyone's car!
Old 11-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Also will give popo probable cause to pull your over if your car had CA plates on it, which I know it doesn't. Looks like awesome work, BeeJay. Looking forward to the finish.
Probable cause? For what? Having a window in my hood? Nah, this ain't Arizona. But I have been pulled over just so the man can get a better look at my car. Then I have to listen to how they had a Vette and wished they had kept it. Hey, Five-oh are people too. I'm real good friends with the Chief here in Lompoc. Great guy. I'm also good friends with the Santa Barbara County Sheriff. Another great guy. But I have to warn you, don't drink and drive in Lompoc or drive while texting or talking on the phone. They really don't appreciate that around here.
Bee Jay
Old 11-12-2011, 08:03 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kevinquirk
Bee Jay,
Your car is looking great. I appreciate the comments about my hood windows.
Feedback is really important. We're working hard to make the process simple, inexpensive, high quality and customizable. It's easy to spend tons and tons of money on our cars in the process of making it a truly bespoke show piece.
I want to have what I want, with my own individual signiture that looks like what I would build myself, if I had the time and resources there to do it.
That's how I am proceeding. That was a major desire from just about everyone I talked to at SEMA.
Give me what I want, at a very reasonable cost and I'll take it from there.
DONE.

Keep the pics rolling in I want to see everyone's car!
Hey Kevin, how is it going? As you can see, I got busy with the window. I did more sanding today. You should post a picture of your car and the other products you have, the side pipe shields and the wiper trough cover. Did you sell anymore windows at SEMA?
Bee Jay
Old 11-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Probable cause? For what? Having a window in my hood? Nah, this ain't Arizona. But I have been pulled over just so the man can get a better look at my car. Then I have to listen to how they had a Vette and wished they had kept it. Hey, Five-oh are people too. I'm real good friends with the Chief here in Lompoc. Great guy. I'm also good friends with the Santa Barbara County Sheriff. Another great guy. But I have to warn you, don't drink and drive in Lompoc or drive while texting or talking on the phone. They really don't appreciate that around here.
Bee Jay
Generally, cops aren't pushy with American car owners, but if you have a window on your hood and "illegal" parts are visible, that would be PC for a hood pop. Sorta like having a nitrous bottle visible in the back of a hatchback.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Generally, cops aren't pushy with American car owners, but if you have a window on your hood and "illegal" parts are visible, that would be PC for a hood pop. Sorta like having a nitrous bottle visible in the back of a hatchback.
They aren't pushy with American cars, or American owners?
Old 11-12-2011, 09:41 PM
tortisevette
Advanced

Maybe 1 cop in a 1000 can tell the difference between a big block and small block, much less any obscure mods. What's wrong with having NOS? What have you been smoking there in CA?

Get notified of new replies

To Bee Jay's hood lightening mods!

Old 11-12-2011, 10:44 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by tortisevette
Maybe 1 cop in a 1000 can tell the difference between a big block and small block, much less any obscure mods. What's wrong with having NOS? What have you been smoking there in CA?
I haven't been smoking anything, but it seems a lot of politicians out here have. There's a lot of bad juju going on in this state - especially southern CA. They can impound and crush your car if they you've been popped for street racing in some regions.

As for whether or not nitrous is legal, I don't have the CA VC memorized. Probable cause is what it is - it can be stretched and abused. Even if nitrous isn't legal, someone could see it and make the assumption there are other modifications to your car. At that point they can ask you to pop the hood to check for smog violations or give you a state referee ticket.

They aren't pushy with American cars, or American owners?
Cars... generally.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:00 AM
johnmb
Racer

I think the hood you started with is the best looking one in the whole thread.

John
Old 11-13-2011, 08:02 AM
johnmb
Racer

Lompoc? I'll be visiting family who lives in Mesa Oaks in a month or so.... small world, and Lompoc is a small town! :-)

Quick Reply: Bee Jay's hood lightening mods!