C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z06 brakes on my C3

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 11:15 PM
Buddy1980
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Z06 brakes on a C3

Originally Posted by JoeC427
Very Impressive set up. Did you build the trailing arms too?

They look awesome. I would like to have a set of those.

I did not build the trailing arms. Those are the aftermarket trailing arms available from many suppliers. They have a 2" offset to run wider wheels and tires and they are built really solid. Thanks
Old 03-18-2016, 12:12 AM
Cowansauto
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did anyone ever make the caliper mounting brackets for the C3 to use the C6 brakes?

Last edited by Cowansauto; 03-18-2016 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:40 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

I see some interest in this old thread. Just an update I was able to get Van Steel to modify there CNC Steel Spindles to fit the C6 Rotor. On a CNC Turning center it was just a matter of entering a few different numbers. They didn't charge any extra.
I think I remember somebody on this Forum saying that somebody is starting to produce the Caliper Brackets. A search might come up with them. I assume they are on the leading side of the Rotor as per C3, not on the aft side as per C4 and newer.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:14 PM
Cowansauto
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
I see some interest in this old thread. Just an update I was able to get Van Steel to modify there CNC Steel Spindles to fit the C6 Rotor. On a CNC Turning center it was just a matter of entering a few different numbers. They didn't charge any extra.
I think I remember somebody on this Forum saying that somebody is starting to produce the Caliper Brackets. A search might come up with them. I assume they are on the leading side of the Rotor as per C3, not on the aft side as per C4 and newer.
I've seen the brake brackets to use the C5 brakes on the C3 spindles but that's it.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:43 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowansauto
Did anyone ever make the caliper mounting brackets for the C3 to use the C6 brakes?
Sort of yes kinda no....

Speeddirect makes a 'C6 brakes for your C3' kit that includes rotors, calipers, pads and calipers. They say the calipers are 'C6' but aren't specific as to where the rotors come from. Cant tell if the calipers are 'floating....

http://www.speeddirect.com/index.php/brakes

They do list rear brackets at $340+ per side....don't see front brackets.

http://cmc.speeddirect.com/itemdesc....4%2D01&eq=&Tp=
Old 03-19-2016, 11:35 PM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jim2527
Sort of yes kinda no....

Speeddirect makes a 'C6 brakes for your C3' kit that includes rotors, calipers, pads and calipers. They say the calipers are 'C6' but aren't specific as to where the rotors come from. Cant tell if the calipers are 'floating....

http://www.speeddirect.com/index.php/brakes

They do list rear brackets at $340+ per side....don't see front brackets.

http://cmc.speeddirect.com/itemdesc....4%2D01&eq=&Tp=
Jim, the way I interpret the info in the two linked pages is if you have a '65 or later the full kit will bolt on with no other parts necessary.

OTOH, if you have. '63 or '64 you need to:
A. Change the front spindles to '65 and later. The early spindles are smaller and weaker, ditto the wheel bearings. That's a good upgrade for any '63 or '64 that is driven hard, as in track time.
B. The two, left and right, rear brackets at $340+ per side.

Personally, as the owner of a ZO6 with these brakes, and I wanted similar on my C3, id look real hard at Wilwood brakes. The ZO6 brakes aren't bad, but I think the Wilwoods would be better. But price could make the ZO6 brakes the better choice.

Pete
Old 03-19-2016, 11:42 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

KORE3 racing makes brackets
10637-01 $135 you have to call or email to order these as they are not listed on their website.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:36 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

The speedirect package looks to include GM C6Z06 calipers....you can't reproduce GM stuff with their logos without paying and getting permission...I bet that package is VERY pricey. If someone makes the C6Z06 caliper bracket, you could source the calipers yourself and find the rotors to fit. As for my 10Z06 brakes versus any of my other cars and many other cars that I have driven, hands down on the street, the Z06 brakes are awesome!...they are that good on the street....6 piston fixed caliper in front with 14 inch drilled rotors and 4 piston fixed caliper (like the C3's cast iron calipers BTW all around) with a 13 inch drilled rotor. It would be VERY hard to beat the Z06 brakes from anyone else without going to bigger rotors, front and rear. The willwood big brakes package would be cheaper but I doubt better, especially since the front 6 piston willwood C3 caliper is MUCH smaller than the C6Z06 caliper which means the front pads would NOT be a as big as the 6 GM padlets or the once piece aftermarket pads offered by HAWK and others.

As for C5/C4 floating 2 piston brake calipers...forget them...they are a step BACKWARDS from the C3 system in terms of operational performance...no contest.

Does anyone make a bracket to use the stock C3 4 piston fixed racing calipers with a larger stock type GM 13/14 inch rotors....For 90% of us, the utilization of the stock caliper with a larger rotor than the 11.75 inch GM stock rotor would be a giant improvement and all that one would need on the street. No one will do it, since it is a cheap mod with great improvement in performance, and for very small dollars....I would buy the C3 bracket for my stock Calipers and a 13/14 inch front rotors for my C3 in a second for $250-300 for a kit....if somebody made it.

No too long ago, I swapped out the stock 11 inch front rotor with a single piston caliper on my grand prix for a 12 inch rotor with the same caliper from an impala by buying 2 front impala caliper brackets and 2 front impala 12 inch rotors...no other changes (the impala and grand prix use the same caliper, just different sized rotors)...the difference in brake effort, performance, and fade resistance is noticeable from this simple change.

Last edited by jb78L-82; 03-20-2016 at 07:53 AM.

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 brakes on my C3