C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 swap under way

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 12:46 PM
jordan89
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the pics and suggestion Evershark. I did take a look at the Vetteworks site and saw they had the adapters for the F-body pump. I'm taking all options into consideration, and am deciding on a more cost effective one.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:56 PM
riggs 74
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ever shark, does the Camaro set up have a built in regulator? With the Tee, I wasn't sure how it will allow
the line to build pressure if that return line is not regulated. Since you are already driving this car I assume
it does have a regulator.

Riggs.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:26 PM
riggs 74
Drifting

I wanted to check the ride height of the front of the car, so after several months of the car setting on jack stands, I put the shoes back on and set it on the ground. There is a little difference in the ride height from before with the old 350, but not enough that I will worry about it at this point.

I thought I would shot some photo's while I had it on the ground. Here are some before and after shots, tell me what you think.

This is what it all looked like when I bought the car,

And as of now this is where I'm at,

Did I get carried away with taking photo's?

I still have some clean up work to do to make every thing look good under the hood but for the most part under the hood is complete. I still have the gauges to do and the steering column and stem to install.

I will be building the exhaust soon.

I'm waiting on parts for the gauges, as I get it together I will post the progress.

Riggs
Old 01-28-2012, 08:35 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 336 Likes on 257 Posts

Nice install! If mine hadn't been a factory big-block I would have gone the LS route also.

But please replace that coolant tank!
Old 01-28-2012, 08:53 PM
riggs 74
Drifting

zwede, Are you referring to the old plastic tank on the fender, or the Aluminum tank in front of the motor? The aluminum tank is the power steering pump reservoir, I'm not sure if I am leaving that or not, My options are limited with a lack of room for the reservoir.

Riggs
Old 01-28-2012, 09:48 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 336 Likes on 257 Posts

Nah, I was talking about the plastic tank.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:58 AM
bmprhmpr
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious,how come no brake booster?
Old 01-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Evershark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the Camero fuel pump has an internal regulator that controls line pressure by throttling the bypass flow. As you know the later LS engines didn't have a return line originally in the LS1. Some argue that a return line from the engine allows more gas flow keeping it cooler, not sitting in the line heating up, and modify the fuel rails to allow for a return. Not my choice.

Also, is that your tranny cooler mtd in front of the radiator? How necessary is it to have a separate cooler, over the usual radiator cooling of the trans fluid?? Concerned, but don't have room if using an A/C condenser.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:32 AM
riggs 74
Drifting

Originally Posted by bmprhmpr
Just curious,how come no brake booster?

bmprhmpr, I am running a Hydro booster instead of a Vacuum booster. If your looking for the lines to the Hydro booster, the fittings are on the under side of the unit.

Riggs.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:47 AM
riggs 74
Drifting

Evershark, The fuel pump set up sounds like a great set up. On the Trans cooler, I was running one in front of my old condensing unit, you just have to install it on the lower section so when the hood is opened, it won't smash the cooler. I am running the external cooler in hopes to keep the trans as cool as possible, I may add second cooler if the temps aren't were I want to see them. I will be running the car hard, especially at the track.

Riggs
Old 02-04-2012, 08:03 PM
riggs 74
Drifting

Instruments update,

Well, first of all I would like to say thanks again to Brent319 for a great ideal. I tried to add to Brent's design but the Ideals I had for it were not working as well as I wanted them to, at best, I was duplicating Brents setup and was trying to add my own flare to his design by using letter stamps to stamp/melt in the words for brake, brights and check engine, but I couldn't get the lettering to stand out as much as I would like to have seen it.
I wasn't happy with the level of light I was getting from the LED/fiber optic/plastic tubing, So I went back in the direction I was looking at before receiving the build info from Brent's build.
I scrapped the LED plastic tube ideal and went with a flexible led strip. At first I thought this would be to bright, It's not, Its really what it needs to be, it does look to bright in the video. These are what I used for the turn/hazards,

I will be using some 6 light LED strips for the brights in blue, and for the brake warning light will be in red. I will move the check engine light to the location of the seat belt light, Like gordonm has done in the past in his ride.

The LED's were added to the recessed housings I made and look like this, this is only a mock up for now, once the paint has cured and the other LED strips have arrived, I will secure in place with the two sided tape that is on the LED strip.

Click on the Video,

I'll complete this once the other parts have arrived, and get this into the car.

I am also in the process of getting all my parts and pieces for the Stainless exhaust system and once that is done, It will then be time to hear what the LS sounds like.

Riggs.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:05 AM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I love the turn indicators! If I would have thought of that in mine, I wouldn't have bothered to convert the tach to electric.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:46 AM
riggs 74
Drifting

Thanks Gary, I just wanted to have something different than just a single LED bulb that is difficult to see while out in the bright sunshine, and I wanted something that looked custom. This should be really nice once it's finished.

Riggs.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:40 PM
riggs 74
Drifting

Not much to update, I am still waiting on some LED's for the Gauges.

Tonight I worked a little on building the exhaust, here are a few photo's of what I have done.

I used some polished stainless tubing and V band clamps from http://www.siliconeintakes.com/ and a few other parts from Amazon.com, no tax or shipping when shopping there.

This is the stainless 180 u bend pipe that allows you to cut and weld into different offsets,

and band clamps used, there will be a total of four in the system,

Stainless X pipe from Magna Flow,

and the cut outs I am using from Dougs Headers,

Heres a few shots of what I have built so far, I still need to finish the system out to the muffler.

I hope to maybe finish the tubing to the muffler tomorrow, but I will still need to to install some hangers once I find the ones I like.

Riggs.

Last edited by riggs 74; 02-11-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Neptune75
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like every thing your doing here riggs! keep up the great work!
Old 02-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

That is an awesome looking exhaust. Very nicely done. Looking forward to hearing the system when you get it all up and running. I may have missed it, what mufflers are you going to be running? Keep up the great work and pics!
Old 02-12-2012, 11:06 AM
riggs 74
Drifting

Originally Posted by Eddie 70
That is an awesome looking exhaust. Very nicely done. Looking forward to hearing the system when you get it all up and running. I may have missed it, what mufflers are you going to be running? Keep up the great work and pics!
Hey Eddie, I will be reusing the muffler I installed a year or so ago, Dyno Max ultra Flo-X. Its a stainless steel muffler that has an X pipe inside the muffler to accept two pipes in and two pipes out. Here is a sound clip of what the Ultra Flo sounds like, slightly louder on the Vette because there are no tail pipes leading from the muffler like the Comaro in the sound clip.http://dynomax.com/soundsofdynomax.p...lished-muffler

It center mounts under the rear of the car.

I felt I should reuse it because I haven't had it on there long, and I like the way the tips hang out just under the plate.

Riggs.

Get notified of new replies

To LS2 swap under way

Old 02-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice work on the exhaust!
nd great idea using the clamps around the crossmember.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Evershark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto on the great looking exhaust system. Are you still using the spare tire holder or removed it? Have thought about doing a C5-C6 sys using the spare tire space for catback mufflers and similar center outlet position.
My Magnaflow mufflers and 2.5in sys has too much resonance.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:50 AM
riggs 74
Drifting

Thanks Gary, I want to build an exhaust that could be taken apart when ever I needed the exhaust to be removed from under the car for future repairs and upgrades. There will be another set of V clamps at the differential so I can break down the system into more manageable pieces when needing to remove.

Riggs

Quick Reply: LS2 swap under way