C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

542” Tri-Power motor, cast iron exh.manifolds – 671.05 rwhp through mufflers!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 08:47 AM
AvRog
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 632C2
1) I did.
2) Holley 12-454-25.

You're welcome.

Steve
Really pleased (as a Tripower owner) to see the TRIPOWER with its manifold pump out that kind of power.
I have a spare set of Tripowers to tinker with though I think it would be of no use with stock heads.
What kind of changes did you make to the carbs and why?
Old 12-01-2011, 02:14 PM
632C2
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 540 RAT
Steve, GREAT numbers and GREAT job. Your work is so impressive, that you should have your own TV show. Boyd Codgington has passed on, and Chip Foose doesn't have any live shows anymore. So, it would be fun to see your stuff in HD every week.
Thanks for the kind words, Rick. I think one of the things I enjoy the most is researching things before I make a move. I read as much as I can - in fact I love reading all the the threads you create as well as contribute to. I have taken what I have learned from you (and others) and used it on this car.

For example, I picked up 9.01 rwhp at peak rpm (and as much as 16 rwhp in other places along the curve) when changing from Mobil 1 10w30 to Royal Purple XPR 5w30. You have been beating the drum about Royal Purple for some time now so I decided to give it a try.

Steve
Old 12-01-2011, 02:18 PM
632C2
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Steve my dyno testing also showed that the carb wanted to have the air cleaner base on.....it was around 10hp on mine as well.... Not to mention a MUCH better air fuel curve with the base on. At the track, I run the base only and it gets the highest MPH.
Alan, that is great to hear. Are you using a factory base or aftermarket? Also, I seem to recall you pulling the front tires on your car with the M/T 255/60x15 drag radials. Is this correct? How would you characterize the traction of those tires?

Steve
Old 12-01-2011, 03:08 PM
632C2
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BLWN1
If we were reviving, you would have a little big block in it.. .

I need new pics for proof..

My dad is the same way... I like big wheels to an extint.... anyways, bump for more pics!!!!!!
For me, a 542 is a little big block.

Not sure what other pics to post.

Originally Posted by AvRog
Really pleased (as a Tripower owner) to see the TRIPOWER with its manifold pump out that kind of power.
I have a spare set of Tripowers to tinker with though I think it would be of no use with stock heads.
What kind of changes did you make to the carbs and why?
I posted the carb changes I made on my thread over in the C2 section. Let me know if there is something that I missed.

Steve
Old 12-01-2011, 07:10 PM
540 RAT
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 632C2
Thanks for the kind words, Rick. I think one of the things I enjoy the most is researching things before I make a move. I read as much as I can - in fact I love reading all the the threads you create as well as contribute to. I have taken what I have learned from you (and others) and used it on this car.

For example, I picked up 9.01 rwhp at peak rpm (and as much as 16 rwhp in other places along the curve) when changing from Mobil 1 10w30 to Royal Purple XPR 5w30. You have been beating the drum about Royal Purple for some time now so I decided to give it a try.

Steve
Steve, thanks for your kind words. And thanks for the additional Royal Purple HP comparison data. Your results are along the lines of what I’ve seen from Royal Purple many times. And shows that beating the drum for Royal Purple had real merit. It also proves once again that RP is the real deal, and should put to rest any doubts that some folks may have had about Royal Purple HP claims.

Your “RWHP” increases with RP represent “FLYWHEEL” HP increases of about 11 more peak HP, and about 20 more HP at other places along the curve. Not bad for simply changing the oil, huh? Royal Purple oil with its proprietary “SYNERLEC” additive, flat “gits ‘er done”, no question about it. And don’t forget that at normal operating temperature, 5W30 and 10W30 are both 30 weights, so it was indeed an apples to apples comparison.

Good stuff. Keep it coming. What other dyno data tidbits do you have for us?
Old 12-01-2011, 10:50 PM
632C2
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 540 RAT
Steve, thanks for your kind words. And thanks for the additional Royal Purple HP comparison data. Your results are along the lines of what I’ve seen from Royal Purple many times. And shows that beating the drum for Royal Purple had real merit. It also proves once again that RP is the real deal, and should put to rest any doubts that some folks may have had about Royal Purple HP claims.

Your “RWHP” increases with RP represent “FLYWHEEL” HP increases of about 11 more peak HP, and about 20 more HP at other places along the curve. Not bad for simply changing the oil, huh? Royal Purple oil with its proprietary “SYNERLEC” additive, flat “gits ‘er done”, no question about it. And don’t forget that at normal operating temperature, 5W30 and 10W30 are both 30 weights, so it was indeed an apples to apples comparison.

Good stuff. Keep it coming. What other dyno data tidbits do you have for us?
The biggest dyno data tidbit I have is just having one. Whether it is a chassis dyno or engine dyno, even hobbiest's like me can learn something. I have done 52 runs on this 542 so far and I am sure I will pick up more horsepower with subsequent runs.

Steve

Quick Reply: 542” Tri-Power motor, cast iron exh.manifolds – 671.05 rwhp through mufflers!