C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 lower speedo cable

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 09:41 PM
Markham-Pete
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 78 lower speedo cable

Hi, I'm new here and I've spent some quality time reading some great information. I removed my lower speedo cable (tranny to cruise control transducer) and i notice that there is a plastic tip at the end of the cable which enters the CC transducer. I want to replace the cable but all the ones I see on the internet for sale don't show a plastic tip. On my cable, the plastic tip looks like a pyramid. Is this correct? or is my transducer the culprit? How do I go about testing my transducer?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2012, 10:03 PM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

you can buy that cable at orielly auto.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:06 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Markham-Pete
Hi, I'm new here and I've spent some quality time reading some great information. I removed my lower speedo cable (tranny to cruise control transducer) and i notice that there is a plastic tip at the end of the cable which enters the CC transducer. I want to replace the cable but all the ones I see on the internet for sale don't show a plastic tip. On my cable, the plastic tip looks like a pyramid. Is this correct? or is my transducer the culprit? How do I go about testing my transducer?

Thanks
The cables you see will have the correct tip... but it should be square and not triangular.

How do you test.. easy, remove the upper cable from the transducer and hook up a drill to it. The speedo should then move, if you have no movement you nave a speedo or upper cable problem. (you'd then check the upper cable first).

If you have movement then attach the lower cable on the unit and do the same test from below the car.

If you have movement then everything is ok and you have a bad drive gear in the tranny. You can check the drive gear by removing the coupling at the tranny.

And I can never say it enough... never never never apply lubricant to your cables.

Willcox.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:12 AM
Markham-Pete
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. My upper cable is tested and turns moves the speedo so I know its functional. My lover cable moves freely so I'll hook it back up to the transducer and attach the tranny side to a drill and see if it moves the speedo. If not, it may very well mean my transducer is jammed. I'll give it a try. By the way, I buy lots of parts from you guys! Great stuff.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:47 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Markham-Pete
Thanks for the reply. My upper cable is tested and turns moves the speedo so I know its functional. My lover cable moves freely so I'll hook it back up to the transducer and attach the tranny side to a drill and see if it moves the speedo. If not, it may very well mean my transducer is jammed. I'll give it a try. By the way, I buy lots of parts from you guys! Great stuff.
Thank you..

We are getting closer to going back in to the transducer rebuilding business too. I stopped for a long time due to lack of cores and parts but I may have a bunch of cores coming and if I do then we will fire it back up.

Get notified of new replies

To 78 lower speedo cable

Quick Reply: 78 lower speedo cable