C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

diffalllign

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 04:05 PM
garry owen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diffalllign

Hi Fellow Members, I wonder if someone can help, my 1979 vette has the drivers side rear wheel 1 inch past the guard and on the passanger side it is 1 1/2 inch inside. here in oz the tyres (tires) are not allowed to be outside the guard. can anyone tell me how to fix this problem, I do have a Haynes repair manual but can't find anything to shift the wheels that far over . question the shims on the trailing axle does move a bit but not enough. question the trailing axle on drivers side seem narrow conpaired to the pass side could I have the wrong trailer arm on on or could someone advise how to fix the problem also wipers only accasional work any clues motor works fine without wiper pushrods conected armature spins but when conected wont work some times and is stagered movement when on and hit the ignition key cheers garry
Old 01-15-2012, 05:54 PM
thegazman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thegazman

Garry.... I'm not sure what you mean by "guard". Are you talking about the wheel well opening. Could you post a couple of photos. Particularly photos of your rear strut rods and the strut rod support bracket along with trailing arms.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:46 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm kinda wondering what a trailing axle is, too.

Your post is difficult to understand, but it sounds like you need to start making some measurements against the frame. Make sure the differential is centered and go from there. This is assuming the frame isn't tweaked, of course.

You could just get a tire and wheel that is 3" narrower!!! LOL!!

Scott
Old 01-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thegazman
Could you post a couple of photos. Particularly photos of your rear strut rods and the strut rod support bracket along with trailing arms.

The diff doesn't really have the ability to be shifted in any direction; forward, aft, left, or right. It is secured to the car via the crossmember in the rear and the pinion bracket.

I would be willing to bet that you have some pretty serious problems with your strut rods, side yokes, and/or trailing arm bushings. In my experience, an issue with one means an issue with the other two.

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but IMO, its pretty important to have the whole rear end set up correctly.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:25 PM
garry owen
Intermediate

Default thanks

Originally Posted by Stoge

thanks to all,,, looking from the back of the car the wheels are off center. The drivers side wheel is about 1 inch outside the guard and on the other side it is 1 and a half inches inside the guard ,in other words the wheels are off centre to the car. question would the diff be exactly in the middle of the car or off centre a bit and the drive shafts and connecting rods be on the wrong side. The body is sitting on the chassie same each side, the trailing arm on passanger side is about 1inch yet the one on the drivers side is 2 inches wide at the shims on the chassie this I think could be the problem the conecting rods appear to the same length a bit hard for me to get under main thing is is the right and left trailing arms the same width or not ( what is the difference between the right and left trailing arms other than the reverse hand , perhaps the 2 inch one is wrong causing the wheel to be outside the guard of the car and the passanger side is inside the guard ....question the crossmember that holds the diff could be in the wrong way also if the diff is not cental to the car. thanks for the help . I am old and not good computors but can use a camera but will need my son put on the site but will do if members cant understand
my son will be able to post in a few days when he comes here
The diff doesn't really have the ability to be shifted in any direction; forward, aft, left, or right. It is secured to the car via the crossmember in the rear and the pinion bracket.

I would be willing to bet that you have some pretty serious problems with your strut rods, side yokes, and/or trailing arm bushings. In my experience, an issue with one means an issue with the other two.

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but IMO, its pretty important to have the whole rear end set up correctly.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:15 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Well, there ya go, Stoge says you don't have to worry about the diff, because it's secured to the frame. Apparently, it is secured in such a way that it cannot fail, be reinstalled incorrectly, or sustain damage in an accident.

Scott
Old 01-15-2012, 08:31 PM
garry owen
Intermediate

Default Thegazman

Originally Posted by thegazman
garry.... I'm not sure what you mean by "guard". Are you talking about the wheel well opening. Could you post a couple of photos. Particularly photos of your rear strut rods and the strut rod support bracket along with trailing arms.
the guard is a mudguard called here in australia it has the wheel arch that covers the wheel here in oz it is to cover the tyre here. In usa tire. Different words sorry. It is illegal to have your tire out past the body line hence the wheel arch or mudguard ... My vette has the drivers side out past the wheel arch by 1 inch and the other is 1 1/2 inside
Old 01-15-2012, 08:36 PM
garry owen
Intermediate

The tracking on the rear centre of tire to centre of the other tire is 58.66 inches or 1.490 metres thanks to all would this sound right
Old 01-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Garry,

Even if the rear end is offset by 1 inch- neither tire should stick out past the fender lip. Do you have the stock size wheels and tires? If it makes you feel better, the offset you're seeing is not rare at all. Many cars came that way from the factory, including mine.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:51 PM
garry owen
Intermediate

Default Thanks mike

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Garry,
MY PROBLEM IS THAT ONE WHEEL IS OUT PAST THE FENDER LIP BY ONE INCH AND THE OTHER SIDE IS ONE AND A HALF INSIDE . THE RIMS ARE STANDARD THAT COME WITH THE VETTE AND TIRES ARE THE SAME ,AND THE PROBEM IS THAT IS IS STICKING OUT POAST THE LIP OF THE FENDER THANKS FOR THE REPLY
Even if the rear end is offset by 1 inch- neither tire should stick out past the fender lip. Do you have the stock size wheels and tires? If it makes you feel better, the offset you're seeing is not rare at all. Many cars came that way from the factory, including mine.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:49 AM
RHD '68 L89
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Garry, with that much mis-alignment check the body position on the chassis. Car might have had a body off and not put back on square.
Also, might have had a hit and not realigned the body.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:15 AM
garry owen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RHD '68 L89
Garry, with that much mis-alignment check the body position on the chassis. Car might have had a body off and not put back on square.
Also, might have had a hit and not realigned the body.
the body is exact on each side on the chassie at the rear the chassie is equal on b oth sides, I think the problem is that the trailing arms are not the same thickness at the shim points one trailing arm is 1 inch thick and the other is 2 inches thick,don't know if the arms are supposed to be the same thickness thanks garry
Old 01-16-2012, 07:19 AM
garry owen
Intermediate

does antone know if the trailing arms are the same width on each side of the car as I have the drivers side at 2 inches wide and the passanger side is one inch thick, question if they are both the same width which onr is right for a 1979 t top one inch or 2 inch can anyone please advise if their arms are the same width cheers garry
Old 01-16-2012, 07:45 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Where one the arm are you measuring the one inch?

I'd have to get out a tape to by absolutely sure but I've got a brand new set on the bench and I'd say they are mirror images of each other.
At one point I have checked and the distance from the spindle mating surface to the front bushing (offset) is the same on both too.
Mooser
Old 01-16-2012, 08:20 AM
garry owen
Intermediate

Default thanks

Originally Posted by Mooser
Where one the arm are you measuring the one inch?

I'd have to get out a tape to by absolutely sure but I've got a brand new set on the bench and I'd say they are mirror images of each other.
At one point I have checked and the distance from the spindle mating surface to the front bushing (offset) is the same on both too.
Mooser
are they 2 types for 63 to 64 and 65 to 82 . I might have one of each fitted, could you please tell me looking from above how wide they are 2inches from the bushes 1 or 2 inches, looking down as if fitted in the car and they are the same thicknes dont need a tape just if you can tell the difference between 1 and 2 inches cheers garry

Last edited by garry owen; 01-16-2012 at 08:23 AM. Reason: need to add more info
Old 01-16-2012, 08:27 AM
garry owen
Intermediate

Default 1 or 2inches

Originally Posted by garry owen
are they 2 types for 63 to 64 and 65 to 82 . I might have one of each fitted, could you please tell me looking from above how wide they are 2inches from the bushes 1 or 2 inches, looking down as if fitted in the car and they are the same thicknes dont need a tape just if you can tell the difference between 1 and 2 inches cheers garry
when in the car measure just how wide they are on top or bottom where the shims would finish the hieght looks the same but accross the to or bottom they are different the arm on the right is 1 inch thick and the left one is 2 inches thick cheers garry
Old 01-16-2012, 08:54 AM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Well ok, Scott. It seems like you want to pick an Internet keyboard commando battle with me for some reason.

How about instead of going out of your way to make someone else sound like an idiot, enlighten us as to how the rear could be shifted in any direction.

And sure, the thing could be loose in there. Off the top of my head, I can think of at least 6 bolts that would have to be near if not completely missing for it to be anywhere other than where it is supposed to be. And while the chance of that happening being as rare as it is, if it were the case, you would still have the same issues with bushings and side yokes.

Last edited by Stoge; 01-16-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To diffalllign

Old 01-16-2012, 09:11 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

In the USA we have a saying that "a picture is worth a thousand words"
Old 01-16-2012, 09:12 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Garry,

Interesting. I have a similar problem on the front wheels. The left front tire is tucked under the fender but the top of the right front fender is flush with the outside edge of the tire.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:22 AM
garry owen
Intermediate

Default scott and scroge

Well ok, Scott. It seems like you want to pick an Internet keyboard commando battle with me for some reason.

How about instead of going out of your way to make someone else sound like an idiot, enlighten us as to how the rear could be shifted in any direction.

And sure, the thing could be loose in there. Off the top of my head, I can think of at least 6 bolts that would have to be near if not completely missing for it to be anywhere other than where it is supposed to be. And while the chance of that happening being as rare as it is, if it were the case, you would still have the same issues with bushings and side yokes.
I dont want to cause any trouble, the problem is simple one, wheel stick out past the body and the other is inside. What I have noticed is that one trailing arm is wider than the other, I know they should be a mirror image but are they the same size in width, if they are to be the same width and height the I have a 62-63 trailing arm on one side and a 65-82 0n the other. if this is the case then fine I have the problem fixed, except then I need to know if the drive shafts from the diff to trailing arms are the same length. would anyone know where I could get the details diagram etc to find out which is right I feel I have the wrong trailing arms and drive shafts can anyone help cheers

Quick Reply: diffalllign