C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1974 turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 01:47 AM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Nobody.
That's a moot point as soon as boost is made.

Same goes for a belt driven. Either one take power to spin the impeller.
Turbo just may be the more efficient way to do it.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:49 AM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 69427
The intake manifold will work on a Corvette as they're all pretty similar, but the RH manifold that mounts the turbo looks like the pickup version that orients the turbo at a angle. Lots of wheel well room in a pickup to allow the turbine outlet pipe to clear, but iffy in a Corvette. The earlier straight-mount exhaust manifold is incredibly difficult to find.
The right hand manifold that mounts the turbo looks like a modified ram's horn as did the one did on my friend '79 Vette. The driver's side manifold looks wrong for a Vette to me.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:39 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by toddalin
The right hand manifold that mounts the turbo looks like a modified ram's horn as did the one did on my friend '79 Vette. The driver's side manifold looks wrong for a Vette to me.
I agree. I was trying to point out the difference in the two RH manifolds that Martin sold. One manifold positions the turbo so that the exhaust exit points straight back (used in Corvette applications IIRC), while the other positions/rotates the turbo so that the exhaust pipe points at about a 30 degree angle toward the right side of the car. The manifold in the picture looks like the version that positions the turbo at an angle, which IIRC, is used on pickup applications.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:38 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 69427
I agree. I was trying to point out the difference in the two RH manifolds that Martin sold. One manifold positions the turbo so that the exhaust exit points straight back (used in Corvette applications IIRC), while the other positions/rotates the turbo so that the exhaust pipe points at about a 30 degree angle toward the right side of the car. The manifold in the picture looks like the version that positions the turbo at an angle, which IIRC, is used on pickup applications.
I gottcha.

Still, even if it were wrong, one of these could be easily converted. I know a guy who makes custom brackets very reasonably that could flip the outlet to most any angle that would fit.

He making these for me in my new venture.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:18 PM
73BLWN
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe nelsonracingengines.com sells a kit for a c3.

http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/v...in-Norway.html

Last edited by 73BLWN; 01-23-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Post Link
Old 01-23-2012, 01:18 PM
nate99
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a Banks car.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:30 PM
my72vette454
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I built a twin turbo setup on my big block 72, I mounted the turbos in the back corners of the engine compartment. I took out the heater/ac stuff and the vacuum tank on the other side and those two mods made lots of room for the turbos. My mileage is no different after the install if I drive it the same. With normal driving, you dont even know they are there and you can have a docile motor that putts around and doesnt overheat or is hard starting when its hot. The power they make is amazing though and is guaranteed to put a smile on your face. As this is my first adventure in turbocharging, things are kinda rough and I wanted to see how well it all worked before refining the install. Its been on the road for 5 years now and still working great.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...g?t=1241932686

http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...runinVette.mp4
Old 01-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by nate99
That is a very early Banks set up. When you see one with out the Fins cast into the Top of the Hat its a early or pre production part.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:37 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Same goes for a belt driven. Either one take power to spin the impeller.
Turbo just may be the more efficient way to do it.
Lets remember that a Supercharger driven by a Belt is always turning at a given speed based on Engine RPM. A Turbocharger is turning at a speed based on Engine load. When my Engine is ideling the Turbos are sitting still they are not even turning. So how is it takeing power away at that point? On the reverse side, when You want Power the Turbo's need time to Spool up and thats what causes Turbo Lag. The newest Supercharger designs are venting the the Compressed Air when not needed so as to reduce the load on the Engine. The newest TurboChargers are more effective at reduceing lag. Lets keep in mind that on a street driven car like ours with a stock and or larger displacement Engine the Car will be driven 98% of the time out of boost. When GM started the new ZR-1 it was to be a Turbo Car. When Eaton released the newest design Supercharger GM was able to use it to meet there needs for much less design and cost. This has always seperated the Super-Turbo, the Turbo refit has allways taken more design and cost, but generaly with better end results.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:51 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
Lets remember that a Supercharger driven by a Belt is always turning at a given speed based on Engine RPM. A Turbocharger is turning at a speed based on Engine load. When my Engine is ideling the Turbos are sitting still they are not even turning. So how is it takeing power away at that point?

It places an obstruction in the exhaust path that does not let you optimize the exhaust path when the turbo is not spooling. That obstruction has to cost some power, or every performance engine would be equipped with an obstruction as opposed to a free flowing exhaust. I would also imagine that there are additional restrictions on the intake path that make it less efficient than if there was just an air cleaner sitting on the "throttle body" with a "direct shot" regardless of type (i.e., carb, or FI).

Last edited by toddalin; 01-25-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:00 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Just call Summit order a Weiand 144 kit and be done with it.
Dont expect wonders from teh stock bottom end but you may get away with it for awhile.
Make more difference than any head/cam upgrade for sure. Youll be surprised.

I dont know about the clearance with the balancer if its even an issue with the C3/crossmember
Old 01-25-2012, 03:04 PM
nate99
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Just call Summit order a Weiand 144 kit and be done with it.
Dont expect wonders from teh stock bottom end but you may get away with it for awhile.
Make more difference than any head/cam upgrade for sure. Youll be surprised.

I dont know about the clearance with the balancer if its even an issue with the C3/crossmember
I've thought long and hard about doing this. It's tempting...
Old 01-25-2012, 07:38 PM
tt 383
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

hope this read although FORD! helps people understand how all boost is not the same. What lag is, and how a well desinged system has little if any noticeable lag even on a system that can make 1000hp, out of a 4.6.
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ion/index.html
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ion/index.html
Old 01-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

It places an obstruction in the exhaust path that does not let you optimize the exhaust path when the turbo is not spooling. That obstruction has to cost some power, or every performance engine would be equipped with an obstruction as opposed to a free flowing exhaust. I would also imagine that there are additional restrictions on the intake path that make it less efficient than if there was just an air cleaner sitting on the "throttle body" with a "direct shot" regardless of type (i.e., carb, or FI).
Ok so lets compare High Performance Engines. We need something that is Compact, light weight, High HP and gets good Fuel Economy and Runs forever between rebuilds. That takes us right into a Deisel Engine. Now lets find one thats not Turbo Charged. Can't do it? Ok lets make it easyer, lets find one thats Supercharged, How about the 671 GMC, the one used on Hot Rods, a 1940's design. Don't like Deisel Engines and want to stick with Push Rod Gas, Ok lets look at WWII Fighter Plane Engines, The P 47 takes top dog with the most HP, because it was Turbocharged before people even new what they were.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:50 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Yep sounds like turbo diesel time to me too

Quick Reply: 1974 turbo?