C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the actual PSI?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 09:46 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Default What is the actual PSI?

In our brake lines? (max)

In a modern H type clutch?

This question came up when I was doing the brakes on a car. I opened the bleeders and attached tubes to a vented catch bottle on the vacuum bleeder. Then I pulled the lines off the master and proceed to blow out the lines with regulated 80 psi air. My mechanic friend said that it could damage the caliper piston seals. I told him that for years I've been doing it without a problem. I then use the vacuum bleeder to draw new fluid in.

I also have done this on a Ford pickup H-clutch assembly.

I've never had a gauge showing actual Line PSI I just assumed that it had to be way over 80 PSI
Old 01-27-2012, 10:35 AM
Steve2147
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gkull

This question came up when I was doing the brakes on a car. I opened the bleeders and attached tubes to a vented catch bottle on the vacuum bleeder. Then I pulled the lines off the master and proceed to blow out the lines with regulated 80 psi air. My mechanic friend said that it could damage the caliper piston seals. I told him that for years I've been doing it without a problem. I then use the vacuum bleeder to draw new fluid in.

I've never had a gauge showing actual Line PSI I just assumed that it had to be way over 80 PSI

Test pressure for the braking system is 1500 psi. Don't know on the clutch, but it's way less.

You can't damage anything with an air hose.

Steve g
Old 01-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by gkull

I enjoy shooting pistons out of calipers when hooking an air line up to it.

Agree with the comments above, I've heard "thousands" before, in casual conversation.

Seeing as how the bleed lines are open, I wouldn't worry about the caliper seals in either case. They're pretty robust though.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:34 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Steve in years past i used to do the two man deal of one guy pumping the pedal and the other guy underneath opening and closing the bleeder until you see clear fluid.

Now I just hit the lines with dry air out of the compressor until nothing is left in the line. reconnect lines to the master cylinder. Fill the bowls with fluid. turn on the vacuum bleeder. Add fluid as required and monitor the clear vacuum line until I have free flowing fluid.

Button everything up and I'm done.

I left out step one............ empty the master cylinder before pulling the lines. with the lines removed, pump the pedal to clear the master cylinders

No water, no old fluid, done
Old 01-27-2012, 06:11 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The air pressure won't hurt anything....unless the caliper doesn't have the rotor/pads to clamp onto. If the caliper is 'free', the pressure could blow the pistons out of their bores.

Get notified of new replies

To What is the actual PSI?

Quick Reply: What is the actual PSI?