C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HEI upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 05:47 AM
Iron_dog
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installed the Pertronix 3 module with its coil, solved me a lot of problems on low speed acceleration...
Old 03-07-2012, 07:06 AM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

With protronex do you notice you have to crank longer to start?
Thats what I heard.
I just get the $54 HEI dist and have several times and saved all kinds of money and it works just fine.
I like to save money or just don't like to give it away for the fun of it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SBC-Bbc-Chev...sories&vxp=mtr
Old 03-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_dog
Installed the Pertronix 3 module with its coil, solved me a lot of problems on low speed acceleration...
That's a classic sign of a worn out distributor, the pertronix unit is simply masking the symptoms.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:41 AM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowerss2
its nice not having to mess with points though.

how many people know how to use this?
With that it's a five minute job to bring the dwell back to 30 and the timing is back to where you set it. I did that about every 5000 miles on my cars that had points and they always ran great. At first I always checked the timing but I never had to adjust it so I quit getting the timing light out. If you think about it 5000 miles is probably a couple years for most of our Vettes.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Iron_dog
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
That's a classic sign of a worn out distributor, the pertronix unit is simply masking the symptoms.
Do you mean I still have a bad distributor installed? I replaced the point part because it burned and car stopped to run....
Old 03-07-2012, 12:33 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by Iron_dog
Do you mean I still have a bad distributor installed? I replaced the point part because it burned and car stopped to run....
Burnt points or condenser will also cause poor operation. That's why they need to be changed every so many thousands of miles.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe what Mike meant when he said your Pertronix was covering up a 'worn out' distributor is this; distributors have an upper, and lower brass bushing. These brass bushing will wear out over time, and when they do, it will cause problem - like the one you described, due to the slight wobble that the worn bushing causes. This wobble does not effect the way the electronic conversion kits, like Pertronix, so it looks like everything is fixed - but you've fixed the symptom, and not the cause.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, but it's something to look at next time you pull the distributor.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:48 AM
Iron_dog
Racer

Everything clear now! Thank you guys!
Old 03-08-2012, 09:00 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mashman
I believe what Mike meant when he said your Pertronix was covering up a 'worn out' distributor is this; distributors have an upper, and lower brass bushing. These brass bushing will wear out over time, and when they do, it will cause problem - like the one you described, due to the slight wobble that the worn bushing causes. This wobble does not effect the way the electronic conversion kits, like Pertronix, so it looks like everything is fixed - but you've fixed the symptom, and not the cause.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, but it's something to look at next time you pull the distributor.
Yes, thank you. That's what I was referring to, also the potential for excessive end play on the shaft. Any of these can cause spark/dwell scatter, hard starting, low/high speed miss etc etc.

Quick Reply: HEI upgrade