C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HEI upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 01:10 PM
Iron_dog
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HEI upgrade

Hi guys,
I've a point stock distributor and I'm looking to change it to a better one.
I was looking at this one:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-850001-T/

Does anybody has experience on it? Do I have to buy also something else for the upgrade???

Thank you!!
Old 01-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

I do not have any experience with that distributor but some things you will need to do when making the conversion. Very simple.

New plug wires for a HEI
A none restrictive power source. Your current coil wire has resistance you cannot use it to power HEI. (run new line to fuse box)
Spark plugs re-gap to 45 some others may have other thoughts on this one.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Have you considered the Pertronix kit? Upgrades your ignition, looks stock, no distributor to purchase. Half the cost of the catalogue listing.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:09 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

look on fleabay for practically same thing ... but for about 1/4 scummit cost.

search fleabay for "tach drive HEI" ... several to choose from under $80.

However, nothing wrong w/ points for most street cars ... so long as dist not worn out. ... points very reliable & easy to troubleshoot when there is a hiccup.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:34 AM
Iron_dog
Racer

Thank you guys! Which benefits I should expect when (if) I will move to the HEI system?
Old 01-31-2012, 10:49 AM
Marlin
Drifting

Originally Posted by jackson

However, nothing wrong w/ points for most street cars ... so long as dist not worn out. ... points very reliable & easy to troubleshoot when there is a hiccup.

Yep check eBay for the same item without the summit name for a LOT less.

I prefer HEI myself. Timing will stay more true and require less maintaince.

But if its for a car that sees little driving then that may not be an issue.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:06 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_dog
Thank you guys! Which benefits I should expect when (if) I will move to the HEI system?
None. A spark is a spark. Either it lights the gas/air mixture or it doesn't. A 'hotter' spark will not give more performance or decreased fuel consumption as discussed many times here.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:07 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

The only real benefit is that the HEI (or electronic ignition like the Pertronix) will perform as well as a new set of points, correctly adjusted, without ever having to touch it again.

Last edited by billla; 01-31-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:34 PM
Iron_dog
Racer

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Have you considered the Pertronix kit? Upgrades your ignition, looks stock, no distributor to purchase. Half the cost of the catalogue listing.

Mike, could you expain me better the difference with an HEI distributor?
Old 01-31-2012, 04:05 PM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

The Pertronix kit is a small electronic unit that replaces the points in the distributor you have now. It is an electronic switch rather than a mechanical switch, so it never goes out of adjustment or wears out like points. The Pertronix kit costs less than half of the HEi distributor you're looking at. If you go that route, I would recommend getting your distributor rebuilt if it hasn't been done before.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Iron_dog
Racer

Guys, I've just purchased a Pertronix kit, it will arrive within one week! Thanks for the support!
Old 02-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Bowerss2
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by billla
The only real benefit is that the HEI (or electronic ignition like the Pertronix) will perform as well as a new set of points, correctly adjusted, without ever having to touch it again.
its nice not having to mess with points though.

how many people know how to use this?

Last edited by Bowerss2; 02-03-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowerss2
its nice not having to mess with points though.

how many people know how to use this?
That's still a nice piece of equipment to have. It's an easy way to get an idea if a cheap electronic conversion is adding or decreasing the coil energy level in your ignition system.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:44 AM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Made in China???????????

Originally Posted by jackson

Jackson,

Good advice, but if they're a quarter the price, where are they made? And if it fails, will the "fleabay" vendor give you any sort of warranty? Or your money back?

There's a reason that businesses like Summit charge more money, generally they buy a part made well enough that they won't have to waste valuable time and money having their staff handling all of the complaints and warranty claims that ensue buy selling junk parts.

Also, they have a business address and you know where to find them if you do have a problem. And they will stand behind the part they sold you. I'd rather buy that way than the way you suggest any day, but you have the right to disagree with me and I don't have a problem with that.

Caveat Emptor.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Old 02-05-2012, 11:01 AM
anips
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aussiejohn
Jackson,

Good advice, but if they're a quarter the price, where are they made? And if it fails, will the "fleabay" vendor give you any sort of warranty? Or your money back?

There's a reason that businesses like Summit charge more money, generally they buy a part made well enough that they won't have to waste valuable time and money having their staff handling all of the complaints and warranty claims that ensue buy selling junk parts.

Also, they have a business address and you know where to find them if you do have a problem. And they will stand behind the part they sold you. I'd rather buy that way than the way you suggest any day, but you have the right to disagree with me and I don't have a problem with that.

Caveat Emptor.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
if you are thinking HEI check out Performance Distributors out of Memphis Tenn, they hand build hei's to your specs, car weight,cam. heads. etc, no China junk no foolin with your dist. after you buy it just bolt and go, I run one in my LT-1, they have a dist. drive or elec. model, dist. drive model is a little spendy at close to $500. but the elect. is $279. as far as Summit goes I buy their stuff and if I have a problem I call em and they take care of it, they even e-mail me a UPS return free shipping lable, but you gotta ask,

Last edited by anips; 02-05-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Think you've done fine on the Pertonics module. Not a big believer in purchasing stuff off E-Bay myself either, as you buy it from who knows, and if it breaks, good fill for the garbage can. Buy lot's of stuff from Summit Racing, and stick to local auto parts stores for batteries and such.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:16 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

come on! TDHEI for $80 ... of course it's china.

But Summit's is too ... years back, Eckler's had one at about $300 ... also china.

The chinese make good stuff as well as junk; their quality depends almost entirely upon what the buyer (often an american importer-distributor) is willing to pay. I once worked as QA Mgr for a mid-size US company which buys & contracts w/ primarily chinese manufacturers & distributes throughout US; some good, much not. I've also worked on & co-piloted a red chinese built PRC warbird; high quality. So ... if you don't like the quality of those roller rockers you just "stole" for $89 ... it was probably an american who commissioned their manufacture at a ridiculously low $ contract.

I too did sell china HEI ... until my margin shrank up. Last one delivered +6 yrs ago to California September 2005; still maintain regular communication w/ that gent who bought Two. I DIRECTLY sought & got feedback from most. The ONLY complaint I ever got was damage during shipping ... & I still have same ol' address, phone & email. Nevertheless, caveat emptor.

Here in USA ... if seller has no physical presence in buyer's state of residence ... then buyer has no PRACTICAL protection under the law anyway. Even if there was, how much trouble/$ is it to recover a hundred or two $ ??? Fleabay offers little PRACTICAL protection either ... caveat emptor. But if you know what you're doing you'll usually have a good outcome. No, I don't sell on fleabay or other online auction.

Get notified of new replies

To HEI upgrade

Old 02-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Iron_dog
Racer

Originally Posted by LB66383
The Pertronix kit is a small electronic unit that replaces the points in the distributor you have now. It is an electronic switch rather than a mechanical switch, so it never goes out of adjustment or wears out like points. The Pertronix kit costs less than half of the HEi distributor you're looking at. If you go that route, I would recommend getting your distributor rebuilt if it hasn't been done before.
How difficult is to rebuild it? I have already rebuilt my quadrajet, is more difficult? Thanks
Old 02-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

How difficult is to rebuild it? I have already rebuilt my quadrajet, is more difficult? Thanks
I put one of these in a 63 that I had. Not hard at all, shimmed the shaft at the same time. I believe the shims were included with the kit. You will still need to run a power line from your fuse panel to the coil that is hot with the ignition on. The stock coil line is a resister and will not carry the current that you need to fire properly.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:11 PM
boltnut
Drifting

I went with the msd unit made for the tach drive vettes use. I like msd. Many don't . I also use a 6al box with it. I don't mind spending a little more for the parts and they always work fine. JMO.

Quick Reply: HEI upgrade