C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power door locks question - 1980

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 11:15 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16
Default Power door locks question - 1980

Trying to get my door locks to work. The manual locks are very difficult to push or pull and the power locks still don't seem to work after pulling the panels and replacing the switches. All wiring appears to be good and grounds are fine. After spraying the mechanisms with WD-40 I can, with some effort, lock and unlock using the rods for the armrest *****. I can't use the door key for fear of breaking it off in the lock, and yes it is the right key as I can turn it some but not enough to lock or unlock either door. Not sure where to go with this next. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 01-30-2012, 11:35 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Pull back the rubber seal on the electric actuators and get some oil in there. Loosen them up a little.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:16 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 385 Likes on 313 Posts

Its a Pain to get in there but I would disconect the various Rods that conect the Door Lock and the Solinoid and the interior pull rod one at a Time and see if it frees up. If not then the Latch itself is stiff. Process of elimination.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:21 AM
1yy07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default door lock

take the latch out clean and lube. try it you will like it!
Old 01-31-2012, 10:58 PM
texasbaehr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are your lock solenoids making any noise when you hit the switch?
Do you have 12V to the solenoid when you hit the switch?
I had a series of issues with mine. The ground is only on the Pass side. I had to add a ground to the drivers side also. The switches were both shot , new ones are cheap. The connectors to the lock solenoids are notorious for crumbling and cracking and also the contacts get oxidized. I found replacement connectors with pigtails on Ebay. After replacing the switches, connectors, adding the second ground, I got the locks to work, then I soaked all the rod connections and the lock mechanisms with spray lithium grease. I dont like to use WD 40 in the doors because it stinks up the inside of the car and it don't really lubricate very well. Mine work like a charm now.

Originally Posted by CaseyJones
Trying to get my door locks to work. The manual locks are very difficult to push or pull and the power locks still don't seem to work after pulling the panels and replacing the switches. All wiring appears to be good and grounds are fine. After spraying the mechanisms with WD-40 I can, with some effort, lock and unlock using the rods for the armrest *****. I can't use the door key for fear of breaking it off in the lock, and yes it is the right key as I can turn it some but not enough to lock or unlock either door. Not sure where to go with this next. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 02-01-2012, 07:02 AM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Update: after working with my problem for several evenings, I can now manually lock and unlock the passenger door with the **** or the key without difficulty. The driver side is still being difficult but has improved. I may end up pulling the mechanism and really giving it a good cleaning as previously suggested. Still no power locks even with replacement switches, so I will test the circuits tonight, I hope. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:44 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by texasbaehr
Are your lock solenoids making any noise when you hit the switch?
Do you have 12V to the solenoid when you hit the switch?
I had a series of issues with mine. The ground is only on the Pass side. I had to add a ground to the drivers side also. The switches were both shot , new ones are cheap. The connectors to the lock solenoids are notorious for crumbling and cracking and also the contacts get oxidized. I found replacement connectors with pigtails on Ebay. After replacing the switches, connectors, adding the second ground, I got the locks to work, then I soaked all the rod connections and the lock mechanisms with spray lithium grease. I dont like to use WD 40 in the doors because it stinks up the inside of the car and it don't really lubricate very well. Mine work like a charm now.
the pig tails are usually the fix!
Old 02-01-2012, 12:33 PM
DaveL82
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

My 80 had similar problems when I bought it used in 1984. If I recall there is also a pivot near the lower front of the door which you can see with the panel off. WD 40 is not enough. Used a machine oil like 3 in 1 to lubricate this pivot. For other areas use a lithium grease and apply with a small but cheap artist brush.

You can slowly disconnect pivots/rods to see which one is causing the problem.

Mine have been perfect since 84 though the car is stored in the garage most of the time.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:42 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Another related issue has surfaced as things are getting back to working condition. I can lock the driver side door with the key and set the alarm. However, I can't unlock it. It feels like it should be unlocking as I turn the key but no love there in comparison with the passenger side lock, which works fine now (but no power locks yet as I haven't had time to follow through with some suggested troubleshooting). Getting frustrated... It is probably still an issue with the driver side mechanism. Time to tear is down again and remove the whole gizmo for a
thorough cleaning and lubing. <sigh>
Old 02-01-2012, 05:07 PM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Sounds like your actuators have frozen up which causes the linkage to not move smoothly and compromises the electrical connection. I've replaced them in my 78. Here's link to an articles that may offer some help.

Door Lock Repair
Old 02-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hunt4cleanair
Thanks for posting that. Printed & going into my AIM binder.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:37 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Yes, it is a great article and helps me a bunch. I really appreciate it!
Old 02-02-2012, 06:42 PM
75vetteman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stoge
Thanks for posting that. Printed & going into my AIM binder.
i don't own a 78-82 but i'm still going to hang onto this. thanks
Old 07-25-2012, 08:57 AM
nearflack
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

i have lubed all connectons and can manually operate locks on both sides. The new actuator tries to move in one direction but not the other. I suspect bad connections or switches and have ordered both. This car set for quite some time and had a lot of moisture in it. Hopefully its just a corrosion issue and the new parts will fix the problem.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:34 AM
golden50
Cruising

check power door lock fuse does it have an alarm

Get notified of new replies

To Power door locks question - 1980

Quick Reply: Power door locks question - 1980