C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling my 496 out.. for a ls3 or ls7?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 12:28 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I'm just not a big fan of LS motors in trucks. They're super reliable, yes, but they have none of the low end torque of the old small blocks. I would love to have another big block truck. I'm actually going to go drive a TVS equipped Silverado this weekend and see if that'll get me over my block envy.

My vote is 496 in the truck, some kind of LS in the vette. A cammed LS3 will make nearly as much power as the LS7. You might be able to find a takeout or build an engine for cheaper, bypassing the exotic metals in some of the components.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good keeping weight and fuel efficiency into the picture, as 496 BB 's are very heavy and think you know about the fuel. LSx and World Products blocks are cast iron, so not the lightest either. LS7's maybe have some problems, but low end torque isn't one of them. In the end, would probably go LS3 or World Products block. Shops like Katech, or Thomson Automotive, can set you up with a really nice LS3 stroker motor.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:19 PM
jaychis
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
I'm just not a big fan of LS motors in trucks. They're super reliable, yes, but they have none of the low end torque of the old small blocks. I would love to have another big block truck. I'm actually going to go drive a TVS equipped Silverado this weekend and see if that'll get me over my block envy.

My vote is 496 in the truck, some kind of LS in the vette. A cammed LS3 will make nearly as much power as the LS7. You might be able to find a takeout or build an engine for cheaper, bypassing the exotic metals in some of the components.
I think it depends on how the LS is built. Many will throw in parts to get big HP numbers (and it ends up in high rpm's). Then when they look at the dyno numbers, torque stinks and typically power in lower rpm is not spectacular. A lot of the LS info out there is focused towards the drag strip. It is very possible to make huge torque in low rpm's with an LS. My 6.0L does not make huge numbers (just over 500 HP and torque in low rpm's), but it's more than I need for the street and in big block territory. The right cam, heads and intake makes a bid difference.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:07 AM
holley505
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Neptune75
I lurked in your posts for a long time and followed it with great inetrest. im blown away with the time's... and power your getting out of that engine. what is your mpg through that carb ad th400?

if im reading this right these engines bolt to the old turbo 400 trannys?and if so, do you like the tranny ls combo?
The TH400/TH350 power glide etc bolts right up to the LSx motors - minus 1 bolt hole (has no impact on performance or strengh).

MPG is tough to say. I can put a just over a half a tank... drive 50 miles round trip to the track and still make about 4 passes. Being that I have a TALL rear tire the speedo is not spot on... but I also have 3.36 rear gear that helps for highway driving... I would guess about 17mpg on the highway. Definitely improvment of the lowly L48 180ph MPG though.

By the way... it would be easy to get another 30-50 HP out of my combo with LS3/LS7 heads....and probably pick up .2-.3ths...plus better gears (3.73) in the rear and slightly bigger converter... I believe that would be another easy .2-.3th putting the car at a 10.3-10.0 pass.....

For the Money... the LS3 stroker is a Great Deal.

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-295-tsp...ort-block.aspx

I worked with Jon and Matt they are on this forum as a supporting vendor... good guys.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:20 AM
holley505
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jaychis
I think it depends on how the LS is built. Many will throw in parts to get big HP numbers (and it ends up in high rpm's). Then when they look at the dyno numbers, torque stinks and typically power in lower rpm is not spectacular. A lot of the LS info out there is focused towards the drag strip. It is very possible to make huge torque in low rpm's with an LS. My 6.0L does not make huge numbers (just over 500 HP and torque in low rpm's), but it's more than I need for the street and in big block territory. The right cam, heads and intake makes a bid difference.
Yeah... May cam is mid range... great torque. I worked with Tony Mamo and the GUYS from Texas speed to help me pick it.

Even with my 205 AFR mongoose heads... that many forum members gave me beef about.

Last edited by holley505; 02-04-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Neptune75
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Neptune75
Pro

Originally Posted by ajrothm
If you do decide to go LSx, I would also go LS3 based 418"....best bang for he buck.. Or if youre willing to spend the money, stroke it for 429". With the right parts you can make 650 crank HP or so..... Or about the same as your 496..

The 496 in the car now is nothing short of amazing,, i will admit its actually a little to much for me and the car. stabing the gas at 40mph and the car turns to smoke on street tires. and the sound through maxflow Hooker side pipes is just plain awsome,,, but i only drive the vette to car shows and work a couple times... about 900 miles in this very very short michigan summer. i know i would drive the car more if it were more streetable and got better gas millage. i would like to get about 400-500ish at the flywheel and drive the car all summer long.

when the engine transfers to the 1ton i will put a low profile intake on it with a tuned Q-jet.. and stock exhaust manifolds/ and Flowmaster exhaust.(for the sound) im going to have a Quick Fuel 950dp and Hooker Jet hot coated 2 1/8th headers for sale in spring...
Old 02-04-2012, 06:39 PM
Neptune75
Pro

Here is the 1ton Truck the 496 will go in.. i painted the truck to match the car.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:58 AM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

400-500 flywheel hp?
My stock 6.0 LQ9 gets 400hp with a tune and exhaust. And it gets 26mpg with an OD trans.

Quick Reply: Pulling my 496 out.. for a ls3 or ls7?