C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Differential Rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 12:04 PM
tracdogg2
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

It was a real sad day when Kenny died.
If you read the vette magazine article it says who Tom recommends to do the rebuilds.
Mike
Old 02-11-2012, 12:56 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

I got great quality from Alan's Gearworks in Clearwater, FL. Alan sold the business but most of his skilled employees were still with the company back when I had the work done on my Dana 44... but that WAS over 10 years ago. However, they are still in business today so they must be delivering quality.

http://www.agearworks.com/
Old 02-11-2012, 01:44 PM
L-82kid
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tracdogg2
It was a real sad day when Kenny died.
If you read the vette magazine article it says who Tom recommends to do the rebuilds.
Mike
Common Mike, that statement can be somewhat misleading. Sure I may biased but anyone who knows my Dad or calls Tom directly knows he is also on the "short" list that Tom recommends for custom vette diff's and T/A's. Fact of the matter is Tom recommended the magazine to call both of you but my Dad wasn't going to do a free 30 hr rebuild for ink space.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:52 PM
tracdogg2
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

You're right Kevin and your Dad is an excellent builder. But I did do the magazine build and got credited for it. I also did the trailing arms and solicited the parts for the car. So I have a lot more than 30 hours of my time invested. I paid my dues. Gary does this part time. This is what I do for a living. I had to buy all my equipment. I don't get into bidding wars fighting for customers with your dad. He has his prices, I have mine. I also don't hang out at DC trying to take work from him. We both have great reputations. It's up to the car owner who they want to do the work.
But since you brought this up I'll mention a few subtle differences between our work. I machine the bearing cap pad in the housing. I make my own caps specificly designed for the case and carrier. Different caps for 10 and 12 bolts. Gary fit his caps with a surface grinder, I use a Sunnen cap grinder. I have specific jigs and stands for mounting and machining the case and carrier. He has his stub axles hardened with the torch method, I have mine induction hardened. I build custom D44's and D36's also. Other than that there is very little difference.
As far as I am concerend there are only 2 names on Toms short list. Mine and Gary's. I have referred jobs to you dad just because of location. I have on many ocassions driven 65 miles each way to LoneStar to hand pick the rebuilt stub axles for his rebuilds. I intentionally do not post about my work on DC to prevent taking work from your dad. But you are constantly on CF doing just that. The old saying "there are no friends when it comes to business". I would hate to lose you dad as a friend due to your actions.
Mike

Last edited by tracdogg2; 02-11-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:18 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

L-82kid: That's nasty. I've known Mike for years and he has never said a bad thing about your dad. On the contrary.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:20 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

That was uncalled for. Mike takes care of a lot of people on this forum, myself included, out of the kindness of his heart, and NOT just differential rebuilds. Take a look at my thread, he built my vehicle with me, without charging a penny.

Mike is one hell of a nice guy.

Last edited by stinger12; 02-11-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:32 PM
L-82kid
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi guys,
I was not saying anything bad about Mike I know he does good work AND is a good guy. My point is I know Tom recommends more then one person for his builds.

As for comparisons between the work of my Dad & Mike I'll leave that up to both to describe what they do. Since my Dad can't post here you can ask on the other forums if interested.

As for me posting constantly about my Dad, that's not true I mostly post about my car.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:08 PM
c6silver
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by L-82kid
Hi guys,
I was not saying anything bad about Mike I know he does good work AND is a good guy. My point is I know Tom recommends more then one person for his builds.

As for comparisons between the work of my Dad & Mike I'll leave that up to both to describe what they do. Since my Dad can't post here you can ask on the other forums if interested.

As for me posting constantly about my Dad, that's not true I mostly post about my car.
I know this is an old thread, but why can't he post here ? Searching his name on Google turns up some nasty stuff from Dr. Rebuild (who I've heard mostly nothing good about anyway...) Just curious...not trying to start a flame war.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:38 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

The forum does not allow non-sponsoring vendors to post in a way that solicits business. I don't know any specifics about what fees the forum charges to become a vendor, but some small vendors feel the fees are too big.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:31 PM
c6silver
Racer

He used to post, and if he's not actually advertising I don't see the harm, especially if he's helping to steer someone in a correct direction (not only his).
Old 07-09-2014, 06:21 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

If you have a vette needing a diff rebuild/blueprint in Tampa, FL, "Alan's Gearworks" did an incredible job setting up my Dana 44 with 3.54's. Top shelf work.

Also, Van Steel (Clearwater, FL) does exceptional work and they sell neat go-fast goodies like carbon-fiber half shafts and other neat stuff.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:36 PM
c6silver
Racer

I'm in Massachusetts, and I have a big block '73 that I need to make some decisions about the differential pretty soon. Super 10 bolt, 12 bolt conversion, or Dana 60...from some of the threads I've read, the Tom's 12 bolt conversion is REALLY nice, but pricey and may be in limited supply, so I'm leaning toward the Dana 60...car will be 496 with cast iron case and mid plate BW Super T10 with 9310 gears, may have them cryo treated and REM polished too.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:53 PM
7tSixStingray
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This case houses the perfection that is created by Tracdogg2

My corvette houses the countless hours of phone time and emails that Mike spent walking me through the entire reassembly of my rear suspension.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:18 PM
harveyhalabookie
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 7tSixStingray
This case houses the perfection that is created by Tracdogg2

My corvette houses the countless hours of phone time and emails that Mike spent walking me through the entire reassembly of my rear suspension.
Yup. Mike did mine as well. Could not have dealt with a nicer guy. He should charge for all the tech help and advice he gives over the phone!
Old 07-10-2014, 12:57 PM
corvettedave383
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Yep mike did me a very strong diff as well, and other stuff, cross member for my t-56 magnum conversion, built up new trailing arms, new hubs for bigger prop-shafts, bigger wheel studs etc, really good job and very hopeful guy, even tho iam miles away in Scotland, dave

Old 07-10-2014, 01:18 PM
SLVRSHRK
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

I've never dealt with Mike personally, but I have dealt with Gary on several occasions. What is common between the two of them is that you would be hard pressed to find ANYTHING negative about their work on any of the forums. I don't think you can go wrong with either person, and as Mike suggests, it might just come down to a matter of being closer. Shipping 100lb differentials isn't cheap.

It all comes down to service, with either person, you get personalized service that you probably don't get with a bigger house. That's not a knock on anyone else, that's just the reality of dealing with the smaller, focused guys. Each of these guys personally inspects parts and ensures a damn near perfect fit and assembly. Does it cost more, YEP. Is it worth it? Like beauty, it's in the eye of the beholder, but I don't mind paying for the quality of doing the job more than right the first time when it comes to these types of parts.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:51 PM
Brass Pass
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Well stated.

I've dealt with Gary in the past and have been very pleased with his work. I also wouldn't hesitate sending work to Mike (Tracdog) due to his stellar reputation on CF for doing great work.

Quick Reply: Rear Differential Rebuild?