C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.5 wheel spacers

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 01:30 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Default 2.5 Wheel Adapter Question

Below are pics of a 17" rim with 9.5 width. It is a factory C4 rim with a 285/40/17 tire. I am going to put C5 ZO6 wheels 18 X 9.5 on rear. The wheel adapter is hub center to car but not hub centric to wheel. Is this fine? or is this is a problem. Do I want hub centric adapters to hub & wheel.

Thanks

Last edited by spedaleden; 02-11-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Mark Riles
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This isn't scripture by any means maybe just use it as fodder for your decision making process. Over the years I have installed a lot of different after market wheels on a lot of different makes and models and many times we just made an adapter or repurposed a set off of an old project. The lug nuts that hold the adapter to the hub and the lug nuts that hold the wheel to the adapter are self centering. Never once did we have a problem on a car or truck with non centering adapters because the lug nuts do all the real work. Considering the weight of the Corvette and how much of the centering is done by the lug nuts I don't think I would worry too much. If you feel more comfortable with dual centric adapters then by all means do what makes you comfortable but I for one would not hesitate to bolt on the adapters you have with confidence.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:49 PM
78anniversary
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you post a pic of the car with the wheels on it? Thanks.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:11 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I installed 2.5" adapters but went with hub/wheel centric. While I can't say with any certainty how important it is, for my own peace of mind I thought it best to keep the wheel/hub mounted they way GM designed it.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:24 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Some owners don't have any problem with lug centric wheels. I'm not one of those owners. My 18" wheels always felt like they were out of balance, sometimes more than other times. Hub centric adaptor rings fixed the problem. Now I have spacers with hub centric adaptors as shown here:

New hub centric wheel spacers for BOSS 338

Problem solved.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:32 AM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 78anniversary
Can you post a pic of the car with the wheels on it? Thanks.
Wheels are orderd and tire are being ordered. I will do a deatail post when I put it all together. I used my brother in laws factory wheel for fit.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:37 AM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Frankenvette
I installed 2.5" adapters but went with hub/wheel centric. While I can't say with any certainty how important it is, for my own peace of mind I thought it best to keep the wheel/hub mounted they way GM designed it.
Do you have a link from where you purchased them?
Old 02-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by spedaleden
Do you have a link from where you purchased them?
I don't have a link as I purchased mine about 7 years ago, but I think the seller user name was completevalue. Another forum member, mybad79, also ordered from this same seller. I do recall that the adapters needed to be clearanced just a little to fit the front hub. I had a machine shop slightly clearance them for me so they would be a tight fit. Mybad79 simply filed his to fit the front hub.

Here are pics of the front and rear of what I purchased

Last edited by Frankenvette; 02-12-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:57 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Frankenvette
I don't have a link as I purchased mine about 7 years ago, but I think the seller user name was completevalue. Another forum member, mybad79, also ordered from this same seller. I do recall that the adapters needed to be clearanced just a little to fit the front hub. I had a machine shop slightly clearance them for me so they would be a tight fit. Mybad79 simply filed his to fit the front hub.

Here are pics of the front and rear of what I purchased

That is what I am looking for. I have 2" that look just like yours but the ones I purchased on ebay look like your backs but the front do not have that lip. I will try to find the vendor

Thanks
Old 02-12-2012, 02:09 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Here are the adapter I have

2 inch on Right 2.5 on left

Adapter on Left has lip for hub centric and adapter on Left does not.

This is the 2" adapter that I had to rework to get it to fit the front hub (backside)

2.5 " adapter that fits fine on rear hub (backside)

I think I want hub centric on adapter to wheels side.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:21 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Except for dualie wheels I have never seen GM from the factory us any HUB centric wheels, I have seen 3 different types of LUG centric in use over the decades....

one is the most common, the conical lug nut and wheel notched to accept it, part of the casting/machined that way....same as any steel stamped wheel....

another is a shank on a lug nut that fits really snug into the aluminum wheel, and once again, i'ts lug centric...

then this odd ball setup off '78-79 Firebirds....on that basketweave wheel they had....it takes a lug nut that looks flat like a built in washer about 1.25" diameter, rides in a machined recess flat cut on to the wheel mounting face, if you saw it you would realize it's another dumb idea immediately...I used a set of them wheels on a Lemans once, and getting the hang of them custom stupid nutz drove me nutz....

Old 02-12-2012, 09:16 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvette
Except for dualie wheels I have never seen GM from the factory us any HUB centric wheels, I have seen 3 different types of LUG centric in use over the decades....

one is the most common, the conical lug nut and wheel notched to accept it, part of the casting/machined that way....same as any steel stamped wheel....

another is a shank on a lug nut that fits really snug into the aluminum wheel, and once again, i'ts lug centric...

then this odd ball setup off '78-79 Firebirds....on that basketweave wheel they had....it takes a lug nut that looks flat like a built in washer about 1.25" diameter, rides in a machined recess flat cut on to the wheel mounting face, if you saw it you would realize it's another dumb idea immediately...I used a set of them wheels on a Lemans once, and getting the hang of them custom stupid nutz drove me nutz....

Really? You've never seen GM factory hub centric wheels? The stock alloy Corvette wheels are hub centric. I can't speak for the steel rally wheels though.

Get notified of new replies

To 2.5 wheel spacers

Quick Reply: 2.5 wheel spacers