C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZZ502 Cylinder Head Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 10:49 AM
jon68l79
Supporting Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default ZZ502 Cylinder Head Recommendations

Hoping to get some good advice from those a lot smarter than me...

I picked up a ZZ502 short block that I plan to build for my '69 coupe. Have no plans to race - just a solid street performer with good low-mid range torque and power. Not looking for something that'll rev higher than 6500 rpm.

The GMPP cylinder heads that come with a ZZ502 long block are 290 cc/110 cc oval port heads with 2.25"/1.88" valves (PN 12363390). From my research, it seems that, although the intake port size is on the low end, they would probably do well for a street motor.

Other research tells me that I should think about stepping up to a larger intake port (305-315 cc) and to consider square port heads instead of oval. The price difference is a few hundred a head.

What do you guys think?

Also, there are several similar size heads with smaller (2.19") intake valves available. Should I stay focused on the larger valve size or does it make a difference for my use.

Appreciate any feedback!

Jon
Old 02-15-2012, 12:05 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

I would go with AFR 290 oval ports (roval ports really). Big flow up top and great port velocity down low... Make big power and give up nothing down low. Be aware of the raised exhaust ports and header fitment. Another option is the Brodix Race Rite 270cc. They have stock exhaust port locations. No reason to go bigger then 290cc on a 6000rpm 502.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:21 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

If your looking for an oval port head with port sizes that will line up with a performer rpm for hood clearance, good flow numbers and bottom end to midrange performance I would look at these.
http://www.airflowresearch.com/index.php?cPath=68_121
There will be others that say you need a bigger rectangular port head but these have a 112 CC chamber and can be flat milled to 102 CC. They will also support 750 HP. Most of the bigger heads have the larger chambers that limit the amount you can reduce cylinder size for a little more compression. You will also want to use a thin head gsasket. This will get you up around 10 to 1 compression and combined with a better cam you should be able to get 600-650 very streetable HP.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:09 PM
DRIVESHAFT
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jon68l79
Have no plans to race - just a solid street performer with good low-mid range torque and power. Not looking for something that'll rev higher than 6500 rpm.
For what you want to do with the car, there are plenty of ways to go that would probably satisfy you.
The AFR 290cc heads mentioned above are excellent, but do have a .375" raised exhaust port and a fairly steep price.
The Edelbrock/GM heads that you mentioned are good heads at a good price with a stock exhaust location. They wont make the power the AFRs will, but you may not notice on the street.
The Brodix Race Rites are another good choice, and also have a stock exhaust location.
Trick Flow ovals are a good head and are priced better than most, but they have a .300" raised exhaust which may or may not be an issue.
Even a set of bowl ported factory ovals would be good for your application, but would lack the aluminum bling you might be looking for.

If you feel the need to go rectangle, just keep them small and you will be OK.
The Race Rites come in a 294 cc rectangle version & the AFR 305s should be fine too.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:26 PM
l88rocket
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used Brodix race rites, and had the heads that come on the zz502 sent off and cnc ported, both made good power.

Last edited by l88rocket; 02-15-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:37 PM
tt 383
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Someone has a program they were hyping for those heads (GM 290 ovals), their were some really good numbers and port size. Maybe someone remembers who it was and you could talk to them. Maybe look at the AirWolf heads or something from Spier Racing. Just some other options than brand "x".
Old 02-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Ben Lurkin
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

The AFR's mentioned are a good head. But for $3000; they better be. IMHO, there's better ways to spend your money unless 0.2 seconds faster at the drag strip makes a difference to you. The raised ports would have been a problem in my car, but that can be remedied. Keep in mind, in stock form, you will only have about 9.7:1 compression with the GM heads and less with the others unless you mill them down.

The GM/Edelbrock heads will support somewhere north of 600 hp. I have one brand new for sale in the parts section - shameless plug - if you go that route. And the brodix race-rites are perhaps a bit better. Unless you are making other changes to the 502, you won't see a whole lot of difference between any of these heads. As a minimum, I would get the cam reground to something bigger. I've built several 502's and they really respoond well to a bit bigger cam.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:02 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Here is a good reference for comparison purposes. Higher flow with the same port size will always make better power across the entire RPM range with all other factors the same. There is a reason AFR heads cost more. Your choice or availability of intakes that will fit under your hood will make a difference on head intake port size.

http://www.users.interport.net/s/r/s...hevy_Big_Block

Bigger is not always better (The highest flow numbers and/or largest port volume). — Flow Velocity or the speed of the air through the port is just as important.
We want the best flow numbers with the smallest port volume and the highest velocity (up to a point). Remember to compare all flow numbers. — Low lift flow does help performance.
Just looking at flow numbers near or above maximum Valve lift for your camshaft is meaningless. Look for the best average flow from mid-lift to just before maximum lift of your camshaft.
For street engines airflow at 0.400-inch lift is a good place to evaluate flow.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:59 AM
jon68l79
Supporting Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for everyone's advise. That's just what I was looking for.

Old 12-08-2023, 06:52 PM
divco13
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a chart compression chart

Going to have my zz502 heads surfaced. How much to raise the compression ratio to 10 to 1
Using.

Cylinder head assembly complete 12363390
.Gasket cylinder head 10105117

Adapted Dre valve covers

Get notified of new replies

To ZZ502 Cylinder Head Recommendations

Quick Reply: ZZ502 Cylinder Head Recommendations