C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My experience installing a new one piece front clip

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 09:54 PM
Maine Vette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default My experience installing a new one piece front clip

Hey all. Well, it's been a bit since I've been on the forum but I thought I'd stop by to share some recent progress on my 1971 restoration project (I've been previously provided updates in this thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...ss-photos.html)

Anyway, last summer I decided that my front clip was too rough to salvage so I decided to install a new one piece front clip. I did a bunch of research, reviewed what information I could find, but found that there wasn't a lot out there documenting the subject. As you probably could expect, it turned out to be a lot more involved than I expected (and I went into it thinking it would be complicated). The number of variables you need to look for and adjust is pretty crazy. Here's a quick summary of the major items that needed to be fitted prior to bonding everything together:

• Install and adjust doors.
  • Position of the radiator support and inner fender skirts
  • Check front-to back position of the front clip
  • Check fit of fenders at the leading edge of the doors
  • Install and check hood alignment
  • Install and check windshield wiper door and cowl
  • Check vertical alignment of the hood and hood surround
  • Install Splash shields
  • Install and check side grilles
  • Install and check rocker panel molding
  • Install and check front fender
  • Install and check front grilles
  • Install and check fit of front valence panel
A lot of the process of dry fitting the front clip involved installing and removing the clip multiple times. It got pretty tedious after a while but it was the only way to get the fit right.

I've done a pretty detailed write-up of the process but it's too much to try and repost it all here (there are about 60 photos). I've broken the install up into four parts which you can view at my restoration website/blog here:

http://www.corvette-restoration.com/...lacement_1.htm

http://www.corvette-restoration.com/...lacement_2.htm

http://www.corvette-restoration.com/...lacement_3.htm

http://www.corvette-restoration.com/...lacement_4.htm

Here are a few photos of the finished install:

Hopefully some folks here will find this useful and, if nothing else, will give a better sense of what's necessary to install a one piece front clip.

If you have any questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.
The following 3 users liked this post by Maine Vette:
20mercury (11-30-2018), Kipring (12-05-2018), Masonwader (10-23-2016)
Old 02-20-2012, 11:28 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

That was a lot of work and it looks like you did a fantastic job. Thanks for taking all the time to post it and explain it.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:30 AM
bluegtp
Drifting

Received 287 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by John 65
That was a lot of work and it looks like you did a fantastic job. Thanks for taking all the time to post it and explain it.
What he said.....

I contemplated doing this and began seperating at winshield wiper tray area....did some research and quickly decided not to. looks good!
Old 02-21-2012, 10:30 AM
Maine Vette
Drifting

Yep, it was a lot of work for sure. If I had to do it all over again I'd probably think about it pretty hard, but would probably go the same route. My original front clip was to the point that it would have been more work to salvage than to replace. The fact that originality isn't important to me also helped me make the decision to replace.

I'm planning to do a nice tutorial (sort of like a magazine article) documenting what I have on my website. This way people can print it out and take it to the garage as a reference. But, before doing so I'd want your thoughts or opinions on my write up so far. Is anything confusing or not clear? Did I miss anything? Would you have done it differently? Let me know your thoughts. I want to be sure what I develop is as complete and technically correct as possible.

Last edited by Maine Vette; 02-21-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:41 AM
mffi115
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wanna come to Fairfield, CT and help me put mine back on, ????? Beer's on me!!!

I'll read through your write up tonight and let you know if I have any questions. Thanks for posting this. That's my next big step after I run all the mechanical/electrical systems checks over the next few weeks. Obviously, I want to check everything's functionality if I have to work on it with the clip off. I'm spoiled because it's all so easy to get to with the clip off. I'm sure I'll be calling you. You can check out my project in the link below my signature.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:04 PM
Maine Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by mffi115
Wanna come to Fairfield, CT and help me put mine back on, ????? Beer's on me!!!
I don't know that I loved the process enough to make a trip down to CT I'd gladly provide some ideas if you need help though. It looks like you've done a lot of work on your 73. Looks great so far!

Looking forward to hearing what you think of the write-up.

Last edited by Maine Vette; 02-21-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:11 PM
willem wallace
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Front Clip

What brand is the clip you used? What was your opinion on quality? Was the headlight assembly mounting bar included? Was it metal or plastic?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:24 PM
Maine Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by willem wallace
What brand is the clip you used? What was your opinion on quality? Was the headlight assembly mounting bar included? Was it metal or plastic?
I purchased the clip from ACI Vette. Overall I thought the quality was pretty good. It seemed well built and wasn't overly wavy or anything like that.

The clip came with two reinforcing bars. The one at the edge of the hood opening (highlight mounting bar) was steel. The bar at the nose was fiberglass. I think the fiberglass nose reinforcing would have been ok, but I elected to cut it out and replace it with my original steel one. The impression I got was that they fabricate these to order. If I were to order another one I'd request they leave that out to save myself the hassle of replacing it with a steel one.

That said, I was pleased with their product. They're prices were very competitive and, for hand laid glass, the quality was good.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:39 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi mv,
WOW!
Without even getting into the work you did, the PICTURES and description you wrote is quite incredible!!!!!
I looked at all the pictures and skimmed the text.... you deserve a serious pat on the back for making it all available for people getting ready to start the process.
WELL DONE!
Regards,
Alan
Old 02-21-2012, 10:35 PM
qtlow
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

With everything Alan said.
In my opinion your website is one of the most valuable and informative resources on the internet.
I haven't started my restoration yet but when I do I plan on using your experiences and step by step processes as a useful tool.
Thanks! Please keep up the good work!
Old 02-22-2012, 05:25 AM
azza2u
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

After a year of owning my 68 I only noticed a day ago it has the ACI tag glassed into the front under the crossed flags showing it has the one piece front clip dated '97. Fascinated reading your story of what one of the previous owners went though to actually get it on there!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:05 PM
Maine Vette
Drifting

Thanks again for the feedback guys. Keeping the site up and running has been a lot of work (probably more work than the resto) so it's nice to hear folks find it useful.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:41 PM
mffi115
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Maine Vette
I don't know that I loved the process enough to make a trip down to CT I'd gladly provide some ideas if you need help though. It looks like you've done a lot of work on your 73. Looks great so far!

Looking forward to hearing what you think of the write-up.
I finally got around to reading your write up - excellent job!! I got a lot of good info from it for my install. I'll be installing the original front clip and I anticipate that I won't have some of the issues that you did...but, I'll have some different issues and I have a lot of repairs to do on the clip before I re-install it. The fender skirts are still in the clip, must they come out for re-fitting?

I post everything on my blog at the url in my signature below. I"ll post a thread on the forum when I do mine this spring.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:27 PM
Maine Vette
Drifting

Thanks for the feedback, Carl.

If you plan to reinstall your original clip I'd leave the inner fender skirts in place. Doing so would actually help you align the radiator support assembly front to back.

I'm happy to help if you have any questions. I frequent CF on occasion, but can be found pretty easily at my site below.

Good luck with your front clip and thanks again.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:10 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a new Eckler's front clip for an 80'-82'. If anyone is interested I'll give a good deal on it, really want the space back in my garage.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:12 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Maine Vette
Yep, it was a lot of work for sure. If I had to do it all over again I'd probably think about it pretty hard, but would probably go the same route. My original front clip was to the point that it would have been more work to salvage than to replace. The fact that originality isn't important to me also helped me make the decision to replace.

I'm planning to do a nice tutorial (sort of like a magazine article) documenting what I have on my website. This way people can print it out and take it to the garage as a reference. But, before doing so I'd want your thoughts or opinions on my write up so far. Is anything confusing or not clear? Did I miss anything? Would you have done it differently? Let me know your thoughts. I want to be sure what I develop is as complete and technically correct as possible.

Nice work Man!
Old 11-19-2013, 01:25 PM
lsejlowe
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a new ACI clip and inner fenders for my '69 and I know I'll be referencing your website repeatedly during the installation process. Many thanks for being so thorough during you install for the benefit of those of us following in your footsteps!

Get notified of new replies

To My experience installing a new one piece front clip

Old 12-18-2013, 11:31 AM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

This should be a "sticky" for future reference to those interested. Very well done installation and documentation.

I've done this and wish I had this as a reference.

Ralph
Old 04-30-2016, 12:27 PM
Jim Jay
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front clip purchase

Good morning,
My name is Jim Jay and I read your blog on replacing a front clip, which I thought was very helpful. I have a 1970 Corvette and I am about to replace my front clip. My question is which brand did you go with? Eckler's has 2 versions, one is 4000.00 and the other one is 1500.00 and ACI is about the same, 1500.00. Is it one of those things that you get what you pay for, better quality and so on? I look forward to your advice.

Thanks Jim
Old 04-30-2016, 01:23 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Jim,
Welcome!
First post!!
I believe you'll find that the 2 different priced clips are quite different from each other.
The lower priced clip is one large fiberglass piece.
The higher priced clip is assembled (jig built) from about 6 smaller fiberglass pieces. This is the way the original front clip on your car was made.
Some people feel having the one piece clip on a car may affect it's value. This really only affects cars which are being touted as original type restorations.
The difference and it's effect is really is something you should understand and consider carefully before you make your decision as to which one you should buy.
If you would describe your car and your plans for it in the future, folks may be able to offer some advice.
Again, welcome!
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 04-30-2016 at 01:31 PM.

Quick Reply: My experience installing a new one piece front clip