C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 02:18 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Awesome, a good old re-ring and bearing overhaul.

Originally Posted by Xterrable
I had no idea that the topic was going to get so heated..

Well, I had a friend of mine who knows the engine shop I am using. He called and talked things over with Keith. So after all this discussion, I kept the pistons I had in the car. I am just going to re-ring the hypers that I have and work from there. I really hope I am not making a mistake. The shop said that the ones that came out seem to be in fine shape, but their unknown history is why they recommended going new.. But he said there nothing wrong with reusing what I have. He is very familiar with gap issues on hypers leading to failures and will do his very best to get everything right.

In the end, Billla hit it on the head. Everybody has their on recipe....

Reads like u found an great machine shop X - one that tries to save your money rather than waste it. Some thing few machine shops can or will do - like maintain a service fleet of company vehicles.
I read u are doing fine now and glad read your update news. U maybe new here but u can set somewhat of an example for others on a limited budget.

Keep posting,
cardo0

BTW anyone seen that price list yet for CNC machine work???
Old 03-05-2012, 04:15 PM
richiev88
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a local engine builder, works from home, looks like a mountain man, no really good on PR if he does not know you. His place looks like a junk yard, but he builds a really good engine. He owns and leases sprint cars, mostly builds marathon jet boat engines, drag, and sprint cars.
He is probably conserative on sqeezing the last HP out of his street engines, but his engines always go well.
I like him as he only puts the parts in your build that you need for you application, for a street engine he may use a GM steel crank, rather than a aftermarket part ect.
His charges are always reasonable, and stands by his workmanship.
Downside is his time management is crap......you need not to be in a hurry......
Old 03-05-2012, 04:48 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by BLOCKMAN
You can't post prices for work on this forum
Well you can, of course, but you'd need to be a board vendor....which of course many vendors choose to do in order to support the forum.

But how about a nice, round number for the completed lightened Dart Little M block you were showing off - just as an example, of course Figure it was sitting there at about $4K before you did any work on it at all...I figure with all the machine work you consider mandatory you've got what...another $1.5 - 2K in it?
Old 03-05-2012, 05:28 PM
BLOCKMAN
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by billla
Well you can, of course, but you'd need to be a board vendor....which of course many vendors choose to do in order to support the forum.

But how about a nice, round number for the completed lightened Dart Little M block you were showing off - just as an example, of course Figure it was sitting there at about $4K before you did any work on it at all...I figure with all the machine work you consider mandatory you've got what...another $1.5 - 2K in it?
A block like that all machined cam tunnel, lifter bores, decking, line hone bore and plate hone your looking around 7000,00 including the Dart block.

The end product is right around 50,000.00 but its proved its self many times at race tracks all over the country
Old 03-05-2012, 06:38 PM
richiev88
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLOCKMAN
A block like that all machined cam tunnel, lifter bores, decking, line hone bore and plate hone your looking around 7000,00 including the Dart block.

The end product is right around 50,000.00 but its proved its self many times at race tracks all over the country
What class is the engine in the pic for ?
Old 03-05-2012, 07:21 PM
BLOCKMAN
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by richiev88
What class is the engine in the pic for ?

Super late model

Quick Reply: Piston Suggestions