C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering coupler install - gap to big?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 01:22 PM
Johan74
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Steering coupler install - gap to big?

I'm installing the rag joint, but the gap between the column shaft and the steering box shaft is a bit too big.
The column shaft is 4,5 inches from the end to the bearing (correct for a 69), so I don't think it has collapsed, but is there a way to increase the length of the shaft? Anything else I can do?
It's a standard column, and right now I have it out of the car.

Body is on a "new" frame after a complete frame off.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Phil Zell
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ttt
Old 03-05-2012, 07:22 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Here is another dimension that you can check. From the tip of the steering gear input shaft to the tip of the steering column shaft should be from 1.0 to 1.3 inches.

You should install the flex coupling assembly on the gear input shaft and push the flange on the coupling onto the gear shaft until it stops. Then tighten the pinch bolt. The flange on the steering column shaft should allow + or - 0.25 inch of adjustment.

If you need more than that amount I think the steering column shaft can be pulled out a bit more. I don't have an exact dimension however. The shaft will only pull out so far and you will hit an internal mechanical stop. Whether it will be very pronounced compared to the friction to pull on the shaft, I can't say.
Jim
Old 03-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Johan74
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks, I will put the column back and measure that.

Checking the end of the column shaft I also realized that the splines at the end are almost gone. I would rather swap it but it seems like that part is not available at the major vendors.

/Johan
Old 03-07-2012, 07:37 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

You might find it at a place like Paragon. Most rebuilders, (Columns Galore, GM Tilt Strg Column Services, etc) know that parts like the steering shafts and shift tubes are a gold mine and just aren't available any longer. They usually won't part with them, but you can try.

I would be concerned if the splines on the your steering shaft are worn. That would indicate to me that the flange to steering shaft connection had been loose for some time. If the flange is tight on the steering shaft, the splines should look like new (well maybe some corrosion.)

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Steering coupler install - gap to big?

Quick Reply: Steering coupler install - gap to big?