C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

msd reliability,hype

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I mounted an MSD 6A behind the passenger side of the dash in my '69 427/435...the only difference I noticed is better starting. Outside of that I've seen no difference...maybe it might be measurable on a diagnostic machine but I don't feel any difference.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:15 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by elle88
here is mine. no need to access it unless for replacing the rev limiter plug but i can quite easily do it from under the dash, non need to open it

Not a bad spot. I have a Digital 6, so I access it for the timing retard features and the rev limiter.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:09 PM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

Received 695 Likes on 318 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

I installed the complete MSD ignition (MSD 8572 tach drive pro billet distributor, MSD blaster coil, MSD spark plug wires, and a MSD 6AL ignition box) about 10 years ago. I am amazed on how fast the motor will fire, faster than my EFI truck. I also agree with hard wiring the power direct to the battery per their instructions.
I put a lot of miles on mine each year and it has proven to be reliable for the exception of the pickup coil which failed last year. I carry a spare in the car.
I mounted the box on the pass side fenderwell (as the stereo booster currently resides behind the pass dash) and it has been trouble free there.

Quick Reply: msd reliability,hype