C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove A/C

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 04:18 PM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

Default How to remove A/C

OK, I've looked through the threads the best I could and did not find any with INSTRUCTIONS on how to do this. At the moment, I am removing the radiator and figured 'while I'm at it' haha... I would maybe remove the AC. I have read a bunch and am pretty certain that I want it out. My question is what are the actual steps to doing this? Is it just start disconnecting stuff? What about the refrigerant? Are there some dangerous high pressure lines to watch out for? At this point I would just like to remove the compressor and condensor. I DON'T want to get into the firewall / AC delete cover at least at this point. I was hoping I could remove the up front stuff and leave that for later.
Thanks! Jim
Old 03-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just did this myself. You need to evacuate the system first or risk injury and or illegal release into atmosphere. You can do it yourself or have a shop do it. Once that is done, you can remove the compressor and condensor and the lines that run to and from. You will need to most likely remove the hood to get to the line fittings on the condensor as well as to remove it. 4 sheet metal type screws on each side of condensor keep it in place on the rad mount.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:46 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I completely removed mine while the body was off. It's easy with nothing in the way.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

Just find a thing on the lines that look like a tire valve and push down in the middle with a smaller screw driver and releive the pressure into the air and in 5 mins move on to the next step.
I removed mine, cut lines in half cut bend break whatever and threw it all in a pile in the garage floor and then sold the metal and made some money!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:48 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is illegal to vent freon into the atmosphere. It is also possible to poison yourself if you are a smoker and are smoking while illegally pushing down on that schrader valve to let the freon out... when burned it forms a deadly gas!!!!!! Take it to any shop that works on A/C and have them suck out any refrigerant left in there. Then just unbolt the lines and brackets and lift it all out. Just be certain you won't want it during the summer months where you live... these cars have cabin heat issues and can be downright miserable on a 90 degree day in a traffc snarl.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:12 PM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

Ok, well since there wasn't any pressure in it, I vented it... Not much came out. Getting to the connections on the condenser is going to be not nice. I will keep in mind the 'cut bend and rip, then throw it on the floor' method in case all else fails. I would like to possibly sell it though if possible for anyone that might want it. I am still working on the radiator though.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:17 AM
Tim H
Safety Car

Originally Posted by markids77
It is illegal to vent freon into the atmosphere.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Steve2147
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim H

Slow day Tim? Feeling left out and alone? Can't seem to get anyone to bite and comment on your ignorant and immature postings?

Hang in there. The bell will ring and classes will start for grade 6 soon. That'll keep you busy for a while.

Steve g
Old 03-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Steve2147
Slow day Tim? Feeling left out and alone? Can't seem to get anyone to bite and comment on your ignorant and immature postings?

Hang in there. The bell will ring and classes will start for grade 6 soon. That'll keep you busy for a while.

Steve g
OHH a smarty pants 8th grader you really scare me.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:25 PM
James Marr
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything is illegal!! 😂😂

Get notified of new replies

To How to remove A/C

Quick Reply: How to remove A/C