C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum canister

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 03:35 PM
dead end cruiser
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum canister

As we all know, with a big cam comes vacuum loss. Has anyone tried Comp cams vacuum canister to solve this issue? Does it work well? Would you prefer a vacuum assist kit with the compressor and what not over just the canister set up? I really would like to keep this build simple and yet still have everything thing functioning properly.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:37 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You have a '78 car and vacuum only operates the headlights and the HVAC ductwork systems. You should not have a problem with those systems, as long as you have about 10" Hg vacuum level (with no significant leakages in that system). A normal (stock) Chevy V8 engine will produce 17-21" Hg, depending on normal wear.

You would need an extremely aggressive cam to prevent adequate function of the headlights and HVAC systems. And, having to resort to an additional vacuum pump to supply adequate vacuum for those systems would be a PITA.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:12 PM
dead end cruiser
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And that is exactly what I have. I am building a 350 with a Thumpr cam (very aggressive) I just want to be sure I can get everything together correctly all at once, and cover all my bases. But my question is, will a Comp vacuum canister suffice or will I need a vacuum assist kit with the 12 volt compressor and so on? Has anyone used the canister set up and is it as effective as the entire vacuum assist kit?

Get notified of new replies

To Vacuum canister

Quick Reply: Vacuum canister