C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery completely dead

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 08:25 PM
mg62
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Battery completely dead (gdh)

Sounds like good advice guys. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2002, 10:35 PM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Battery completely dead (mg62)

I stopped this on mine by installing a battery cutoff switch. just turn it when I park the car and have had no problems since.

Is that battery cutoff switch a pretty easy thing to do?

Related question: on a temporary basis, I assume that I can prevent the overnight power drain by disconnecting either (but not both) of the battery cables from its post when the car is not in use. Am I right?
Ok, the battery cutoff switch goes between the battery post and the car terminal wire. I have side posts, so the battery cutoff switch screws into the battery and on the other side of a ****, the car cable connects to it. Takes about 5 minutes to hook it up.
Yes you are right about disconnecting a battery lead. Remove the black wire from the battery and it "opens" the circuit and thus no power flowing through the car. Of course you lose radio present in the meantime.
One other thing. When you hook up the battery cut off switch, all you have to do is trun the **** and it cuts off the power circuit, kind of like removing a battery cable.

[Modified by 82dukman, 9:37 PM 5/19/2002]
Old 05-19-2002, 10:49 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

So, that leaves the only remaining possibility: a power drain.
It sounds like a drain. And, it could still be a blown diode in the alternator...it not only drains the battery, but also weakens the charging power from the alternator by introducing AC voltage...the incar ammeter will swing all the way to the right when you first start up the car cause the starter drains a great deal of energy out of the battery...it means the alternator is putting out high DC current. If you start the car up and the meter only swings a small amount, then I would suspect an alternator diode cause the alternator would be putting out high AC current as well as some DC, or the internal regulator could have gone bad.

I bought myself a VOM. Here's a pic of what it looks like.
It looks like a good one.

I assume that the black lead is always plugged into "COM".
Yes, the red one will plug into one of the other three depending on what setting you place the dial on.

- In order to do the first test ("use the DC Volt setting on the VOM") I assume that I'm supposed to turn the dial to one of the settings in the orange DCV section. Which setting? Do I turn the dial before I connect the leads to the battery cables?
You will want to use the 20 setting in the DCV for a 12V system. It is safest to turn the dial before connecting the leads. The reason is that if you have the dial set to one of the DCA settings and connect the VOM to the battery to make a voltage test then you may fry the meter due to the high current (over 40amps) that will flow through the meter which was designed to see less than 10. If you aren't familiar with electrical circuits then it's safest to disconnect the VOM any time you want to turn the dial. Turning the dial won't always harm the VOM if it's connected...for example if you are staying within one of the color coded sections then you can safely keep the leads connected. In fact for systems where I'm not 100% sure of the voltage I would use the 200 setting, then if I get a reading below 20 then I would leave the VOM connected and turn the dial to 20.

- When you say "connect the black lead from the VOM to the negative battery cable, then the red lead to the positive battery cable" I assume that you mean touch those leads to the respective cables, right?. My meter didn't come with leads that snap or clip onto anything, and I didn't see any meters that did.
Well, what I do is wedge the black lead under the battery post clamp so it stays there...then I just touch the red lead to where I want to check for voltage. It's a real nuisance holding both leads and trying to keep them steady on the terminals while reading the VOM and tracing circuit diagrams.

- "When it reaches zero switch the meter to read 1K Ohms." The dial on my meter jumps from 200 ohms to 2k ohms. Is that a problem? Assuming that the way to do this test would be turn the dial to 2k ohms, do I turn the dial while I'm simultaneously holding the leads onto the cables, or do I take the leads off the cables, turn the dial to 2k ohms and then connect the two leads again? (Told ya these questions might seem elementary.)
Yes, use the 2K setting first, then if the reading is less than 200 then switch the dial to the 200 OHM setting...if it's an overnight drain then the 200 setting would probably be more useful. You can take the leads off...like I said I wedge them under the post clamps, or sometimes use the clamps from jumper cables to hold them down (when the battery is dead the jumper cables are probably out anyway).

- When I'm reading ohms in this test, what is the test result telling me?
Hmmm, do you want the technobabble or straight english? I'll go with a mix I suppose then you can ask questions that pertain to one or the other. OHMs is a measure of the resistance in a circuit. Zero ohms means that there is no resistance, while infinite OHMs means nothing is connected...digital meters represent this with strange symbols like UHN for unknown, or OPEN to indicate it's an open circuit. It's part of an equation which tells us how much current and power a device is using...the most basic is called Ohms Law named for the guy who discovered it...it's: V=IR which means Voltage = Current * Resistance, or in the correct units: Volts = Amps * Ohms. The relationship is such that if the Ohms increase then the current decreases, or if the Ohms decrease then the current increases such that the supply voltage doesn't change much...the only reason the battery voltage goes down is due to the battery loosing it's charge...with regulated supply voltages the equation holds true. If the current gets too high due to a decrease in resistance from something like a short in the wiring, then the battery drains faster. Normally the resistance should be more than 1,000 Ohm and that resistance coming just from the clock...with alarm systems there could be something like 300 Ohm. If you have an Ohms reading lower than that from the battery cables with the key off and battery disconnected then you have a short. The first thing I do is disconnect the alternator and then test again...50% of the time it's an alternator diode that has short circuited. The other 50% are obscure things like water in the license plate lamp, or a frayed wire touching something it shouldn't.

- "If the meter swings to about mid scale then it's OK." What is mid scale? Note that my meter is digital. Will the read-out be a percentage or a specific number of ohms?
Hehe...I forgot that most VOMs now are digital. What I meant was 500 Ohms is about mid scale on analog VOMs...and that should be fine and not cause a good battery to drain over night. The VOM will display a number...at the 2K setting it should display whole numbers, at the 200 OHM setting it will probably display the tenths and hundredths...possibly thousands too.

- "If the meter is around zero then the first place to check is the alternator" Is this necessary, in view of the fact that I seem to have determined that the alternator is working fine?
Just because the alternator is putting out some current doesn't mean it isn't draining it when the engine isn't running. The alternator DOES go bad after awhile and I always suspect something that I know at some time WILL happen, then if it checks out OK then I look for something strange like maybe a screw driver finding it's way down the engine compartment and rubbing against a wire that finally wore through and is shorting against the frame...it's easier to find the alternator.

- "disconnect the red lead of the VOM and connect the black lead to the red battery terminal, then switch the meter to read 10 AMPS" If I'm reading this right, the process is: (i) the negative battery terminal is reconnected to the negative battery post; (ii) I connect the black lead from the VOM to the postive battery terminal (which is not connected to the battery); (iii) I switched the meter to read 10 amps, in the DCA section of the dial; (iv) I touch the red lead from the VOM (which is now plugged into the "10A" hole on the front of my VOM) to the postive battery post. Just want to make sure I've got this right.
Yes you have it right. This is a test only if the OHMs reading is greater than about 50 Ohms (by the equation 1.2 Ohms would cause 10A, but there's always a current surge so I'm just being cautious), otherwise there may be more than 10A (including any surge) and possibly harm the meter. This way you can determine if it's within specs of any devices still connected, i.e. clock (about .01A) or alarm system (.05A). Also, if the meter reads 0 (zero) amps then remove the red lead, switch the red lead on the meter to the mA/BATT socket (the one just to the left of the 10A socket) and turn the dial to 200mA (stands for milli amps = .001 amps) and touch the red lead back to the battery terminal so you get the decimal amount of current.

Hope this helps...tracing electrical shorts is my worst nightmare...the thing about water in the license plate lamp is true...spent about a week at almost two hours each day before I discovered that one...actually it was a cop writing a fix-it ticket for not having the license lamp lit that told me where the short was.
Old 05-19-2002, 10:53 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Battery completely dead (madmaxgt)

Same here except mine will not start, no power even connecting cables? Someone help me. I will call long distance for advice!
Hehe...IM DAVES80 on that...his car died when he was taking me for a spin in his ride...there was no power at all. He said it was some connection in the engine compartment and he just plugged it in better...it was on the passenger side so he blamed me for it.
Old 05-19-2002, 11:03 PM
mg62
Drifting

Default Re: Battery completely dead (Rockn-Roll)

If anyone needs evidence about why this Forum is so cool, they just need to read Rockn-Roll's long post up above, answering all of my inane questions in incredible detail.

Thanks for the info, amigo. I'll try to absorb it in the a.m.
Old 05-20-2002, 01:25 PM
mg62
Drifting

Normally the resistance should be more than 1,000 Ohm and that resistance coming just from the clock...with alarm systems there could be something like 300 Ohm. If you have an Ohms reading lower than that from the battery cables with the key off and battery disconnected then you have a short.
Current status: The outcome of the DCV test on the disconnected cables was zero. The meter just read zero, and didn't jump.

I then did the Ohm test and the result on the 200 Ohm setting was a bunch of jumping around (numbers all over the place) and then it settled down to 7 Ohms.

I guess that means there's a short, huh?
Old 05-20-2002, 03:26 PM
stickboy
Safety Car

I have gone thru this before it takes a lot of patience. Make sure your dome/hood lights are out too. If you have your DOM set to sounds an audible alert when shorted because you run out of hands and can get a good view of the read out, the hood light will make it sound. Don't ask how I know this :mad
Old 05-20-2002, 03:40 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

My underhood lamp did this to me in my '79. It didn't shut off when I closed the hood and completely drained my battery.
Old 05-20-2002, 04:12 PM
mg62
Drifting

Default Re: Battery completely dead (The_Dude)

My underhood lamp did this to me in my '79. It didn't shut off when I closed the hood and completely drained my battery.
Neither my underhood light nor my interior light is operational (been that way since I got the car).
Old 05-20-2002, 06:58 PM
Biker
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Battery completely dea (drives61)

When ya get the car started, make sure the charging system is working properly. I used to have the same problem with my '81--ie, dead battery at start-up. I installed an on/off battery switch and the problem was solved.
Old 05-21-2002, 12:43 AM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Current status: The outcome of the DCV test on the disconnected cables was zero. The meter just read zero, and didn't jump.

I then did the Ohm test and the result on the 200 Ohm setting was a bunch of jumping around (numbers all over the place) and then it settled down to 7 Ohms.

I guess that means there's a short, huh?
Yep. And 7 Ohms is very low...your battery is being drained at about 2amps...not many devices on a car will consume 2 amps...except the alternator, coil, and starter...I'd disconnect those three and test again...if nothing changes then start unplugging fuses one at a time until you locate the circuit that is causing the drain. Then use a wiring diagram to trace the wires to where they end and inspect the location where they end at on the car until you find the short. Until you get this short located and fixed and you need to use the car then get a battery post lock out as described above...there's no way that you can drive around with a 2amp continuous drain and expect the car to start even after parking for just an hour. Also, it's dangerous cause a 2amp flow though some wires will cause the wire to overheat, melt the insulation, and on many occations start a fire...you don't want that to happen. It would be safest to check the three devices I listed, and if it's not them then pull the fuses until the meter goes well above 7 Ohms...like I mentioned 300 Ohms would be safe for even an 18 guage wire. Once you find the circuit and MUST use the car then keep the fuse out...don't allow current to flow through that circuit until you fix it...if it's the brake lights then you could run some new wire out to the lamps...and cut the current ones so they don't short circuit in that direction...same goes for any other device...if it's necessary for using the car before you can locate the short then run some new wire around the short (use an inline fuse instead of going through the fuse box) and cut the current wires at the device/lamp.
Old 05-21-2002, 12:11 PM
mg62
Drifting

I didn't get a chance to do any more testing. I've dropped the car off to get the ZZ4 installed, so I'm going to let the mechanics who're doing the installation isolate that short.

Thanks again for all your help on this. Having bought the VOM and used it a bit, I've certainly learned something that'll probably come in handy later on! I'll let you know what the short-circuit was once the mechanics report back to me.
Old 05-31-2002, 12:57 PM
mg62
Drifting

This is just an epilogue to this issue, which ended slightly weirdly.

As mentioned above, I took the car in to get the ZZ4 installed, with instructions to the mechanic to chase down the short and fix it first.

However, the short seems to have spontaneously fixed itself! He left the battery connected overnight after I dropped the car off, and there was no drain. Same thing the next day. So, he just went ahead with the installation.

I picked 'er up yesterday, and she started up this morning like a rocket. Dunno what happened with that short, but I hope I've seen the last of it.

Thanks again for all the input on the issue.

Quick Reply: Battery completely dead