C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coated Headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 09:00 PM
McVette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well now scott money is an object.............lol
can i get some feedback on these....just food for thought...........lol................... ..http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-68308/
Old 04-11-2012, 09:28 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by McVette
well now scott money is an object.............lol
can i get some feedback on these....just food for thought...........lol................... ..http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-68308/
They look like generic headers made to fit more than one kind of car. I have been looking at these:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BIG-31106FLT/

They are made by Flowtech, but if you look carefully at the pics, they appear to be identical to these:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...E/?Ns=Rank|Asc

I have heard quite a few people who have nothing but good things to say about the Summit headers in the second link, excellent fit, quality, etc. and the Flowtech headers in the first link appear to be the exact same header, but coated, so you should have good luck with it. And the price is so right, it makes me feel like dancin'!!!!!

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 04-12-2012, 01:31 PM
jcloving
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here are some shots of mine. Just installed. They are from Josh Powers at Custom Image Corvettes. Jet Hot Sterling coated inside and out. Stock '76 L-48

headers before coating below:

Lots of clearance to the frame, steering box, Z-bar. I used the 576S plugs from ACCEL and so far they are perfect.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:22 PM
McVette
Racer

wooooooow looks sweet...not sure that might be in my price range tight now tho...looks expensive...........lol
Old 04-13-2012, 08:59 AM
RIO68
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about anyone else but the more I look at different listings the more confused I get! Long tube, y connector, short style--wow what is the best? I did a desk top dyno check on my engine and quickly saw that headers make a whale of a difference in HP using them over stock manifolds. It is apparent that money spend to increase performance is wasted if you don't do something about exhaust. I guess the magic question is which ones to use???
Old 04-13-2012, 09:46 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

hard to go wrong with just about any 1-5/8 tube header. Look for a good thick flange to the head
Those equal length tuned headers=waste of dough and can make getting to things difficult. Youll never notice the small power increase they claim.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:06 PM
paragonspirit
Advanced

I have been under my car a lot recently and noticed a thick steel plate that does not look 'factory.' I'm not sure I can recommend it to others as an option for addressing cabin temperatures, but I'll take a picture or two over the weekend so you can asses for yourselves.

SS
Old 04-13-2012, 04:07 PM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by vettehardt
Whatever coating you go with, make sure they are coated inside and out. If they aren't coated inside, what you mechanic is describing will still rust the pipes. A good ceramic coating will work. Jet hot seems to be one of the more popular brands.
Had ours coated inside and out. They look fantastic and as some others have said, you can't believe the temp difference until you experience it for yourself. Another nice thing is the durability of the coating. I dripped some oil on the headers while hot (during our break in run). It stained the ceramic slightly. Just sanded it with 2000 grit wet paper (LIGHTLY) and polished it with some aluminum polish - looked like brand new again. Even melted plastic from a plug wire separator came off with a fingernail.

PM me if you would like the info for the company I used here in Phoenix. Much cheaper than Jet Hot and the results were awesome.

Adam

Quick Reply: Coated Headers