C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82 C3 Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 04:40 PM
Dracule
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 82 C3 Fuel Pump

Driving back from the corner store, the motor died, just out of nowhere. It had been running fine other than a higher idle than I'd of liked, by about 300 rpm. So this came out of the blue. Fortunately I was able to coast home, swing wide and roll up into my driveway. I checked the fuse marked ( FP ) on the very top of the fuse block... what a bear to get to. It helped to pull the AC duct out of the way for better room and visibility. The fuse proved to be good so it was on to the pump. Removing the fuel door was easy enough, four phillips screws, pull the drain rubber shield and then the three hoses with clamps. The one single on the driver side (left) was a bit awkward, and the two on the right side less difficult. with the hoses off, there were 8 bolts into the tank . Once removed, a little wriggling broke the bond of the gasket. Orienting the whole assembly to come out through the body proved difficult as the angle and orientation was important. I'd say it came out with little spinning clockwise or counterclockwise, rather almost as it was oriented in the tank. Be careful the paint could be marred trying to remove the apparatus. Once out the pump was easy enough to remove. An electrical clip and hose clamp loosening is all that were in need for removal, then the hose slipped off the feed pipe. The reverse was then used to put it back in. The most difficult part..? Getting the sending unit/float/pump assembly out of the tank and slipping it out the gas door hole in the body.. Be patient, and take your time, it does come out, you just have to hold your mouth right...lol. And that was my pump change episode. Make sure you put a strainer on the pump, because the pump vanes are very fragile plastic and it wouldn't take much of a particle to blow out the vanes. The pump I got was an 85 year model as I read it was superior, yet of the same configuration and fitment. $50 dollars later, I'm on the road again. Of course that was with my Daughters 20% discount from Advanced Auto Parts.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:58 PM
EmNash
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Well done and thanks for the play by play.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:23 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

good job explaining all of that and going with the 85 pump .i have a pic that shows how i covered the car around the gas tank .http://1982corvetteforsale.shutterfly.com/pictures/22
Old 04-14-2012, 10:15 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Nice job! How does it run? Better? The same?
Old 04-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Dracule
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It runs quieter, with a smoother idle, along with a quicker startup.

Get notified of new replies

To 82 C3 Fuel Pump

Quick Reply: 82 C3 Fuel Pump