C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fusible Link

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 02:25 AM
Markhudson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fusible Link

Is there a Fusible Link that is connected to the starter on a 1982? My car lost all voltage while going down the road and no lights or anything would work then I found a broken wire coming off the starter...When I connect the two ends together I get power to the dome lights and dash gauges but it still wont start. Someone told me they think that a Fusible wire went there but i dont know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:00 AM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a similar problem with my fathers '76. Total loss of power while driving at night. No lights, ignition or accessories. On his car there was a fusible link, that failed, behind the master cylinder coming out of the fuse block. Yours may be different of course but look in this area. I never found out what caused the failure. After replacing the link the car ran well for several years. A volt meter is a good investment when we own these cars. Trace voltage back to the source to find the breakdown. Good luck with it. mike...

Last edited by mds3013; 04-15-2012 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:53 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes there are 3 down there on an 82 I believe, look for them connected to the large Battery terminal on th starter. Also annother problem spot is the White Molex connector behind the passenger head by the firewall, all the electrics run through there and its pretty common for them to burn a spade terminal in that connector. The aux fan, both main harness power and maybe the main harness or fan ground run in that connector
Old 04-15-2012, 02:31 PM
Markhudson
Intermediate

Thanks Guys, I did find a Burned Fusible link that ran to the Starter. I replaced it and now i have Power to all the gauges and dome lights ETC but the car will not turn over.... I took the starter off and had it checked and it is good. The only thing I can think of is that might be the problem is there is a red wire that is unhooked under the dash that I think might have came unplugged while we were digging around under there but I dont know where it goes....One end is hooked to a white part right next to the Shifter so im thinking it may be the Neutral safety switch. If it is then this would make sense that it wont turn over when i turn the ignition switch. Can anyone tell me where the two wiress coming from that switch care supposed to go? Im looking at the wiring schematic and i cant make heads or tails of it.... thanks everyone
Old 04-16-2012, 09:39 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Shortcut, that molex connector I mentioned in post#3, the purple wire in there is the one from the ignition switch. Put a test light on it at the starter and hit the key. If no light check the connector, then work your way back throught he circuit. The Neutral safety switch has a yellow and purple wire I believe. From there it goes through the theft deterant relay and then out to the starter through the main harness
Old 04-16-2012, 05:40 PM
Markhudson
Intermediate

Thanks Six shooter, It was the wire goin to the neutral safety switch, it was disconnected above the steering column. Thanks for your time and replys It is greatly appreciated

Get notified of new replies

To Fusible Link

Quick Reply: Fusible Link