C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm stumped - backfiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 02:36 PM
BTAL
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09
Default I'm stumped - backfiring

Just completed the hydroboost & Borgeson mod. That all went relatively smooth.

Start it up and I've got an intermittent backfire at idle and higher rpms. It primarily (95%) is backfiring through the exhaust with the odd pop through the carb.

What I've done/checked so far:
- Put vacuum gauge on several locations. Holds a rock steady 15hg at idle. No fluctuation at all.
- Sprayed carb cleaner everywhere - absolutely no change in idle speed.
- Installed new plug wires.
- Double checked timing.

Can an exhaust leak at the headers cause this type of backfire? I ask because I pulled the left headers for the above install and reused the old header gasket (I know....)

It ran fine prior to the disassembly/reassembly.

Details: '78 L-82, stock carb, intake, HEI. Headers with true dual & x-pipe.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Amelio
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 53 Posts

I am unfamiliar with the mod you have done..... what did you have to do to install it?

Reusing header gaskets is no big deal I have done it plenty and no a leaking header gasket will not cause your issue.

Double check your plug wires to make sure they are all correct........I have crosed 3-5 before it is an easy mistake to make and will cause an issue as you describ.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:45 PM
BTAL
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Amelio
I am unfamiliar with the mod you have done..... what did you have to do to install it?

Reusing header gaskets is no big deal I have done it plenty and no a leaking header gasket will not cause your issue.

Double check your plug wires to make sure they are all correct........I have crosed 3-5 before it is an easy mistake to make and will cause an issue as you describ.

That's exactly the bonehead thing I did. #2 & #4 were crossed. My brother stopped over for a visit and a second set of eyes helped.

Now to figure out why my clutch won't adjust & work correctly. Its like it is not traveling far enough to completely disengage. I hope I don't need to do a clutch & throw out bearing job right now.

Thanks for the response.

Get notified of new replies

To I'm stumped - backfiring

Quick Reply: I'm stumped - backfiring