C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket gauge cluster

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 08:22 PM
usnfenix
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket gauge cluster

i want to replace my gauge cluster to pretty much the one in the picture below. im sure some of you have seen this done but searches arnt really showing me much of how to do this, is there a kit i can get somewhere or will it need to be fabricated. thoughts? pics of what youve all done?

Old 04-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Sideways73
Advanced

Found this when looking those up.
Looks like they pieced it all together with what they wanted

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_11...r/viewall.html
Old 04-21-2012, 12:01 AM
73sbvert
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Here's mine:

Just took the back of the OEM gauge set off, and mounted the Autometers through the holes left by the OEM's. The 2-1/8" gauges fit perfectly.

I must point out though that only the consoles with the round holes (pre-78? with flat bottoms?) work. The earlier gauge facia will work though.

hth
Old 04-21-2012, 01:01 AM
usnfenix
Instructor

mine is a 79
Old 04-21-2012, 01:36 AM
73sbvert
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by usnfenix
mine is a 79
Find an earlier one (should fit right in) and take off the backplate, bolt in new gauges!

Easy peezy!

Old 04-21-2012, 03:15 AM
themetalman03886
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think an earlier one fits right, a 79 has a plastic one compared to earlier ones having metal ones. You could take a dremel and carefully make your holes round then mount the gauges in there. The front of the gauge would cover up the hole and you would never be able to tell.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:24 AM
73sbvert
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by themetalman03886
I don't think an earlier one fits right, a 79 has a plastic one compared to earlier ones having metal ones. You could take a dremel and carefully make your holes round then mount the gauges in there. The front of the gauge would cover up the hole and you would never be able to tell.
Good point!
Old 04-21-2012, 08:27 AM
brando1118
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi usnfenix,
This is an easy swap with the 2 /1/16th or 52mm gauges. The car in the photo you provided is an early C3 gauge cluster and these gauges will just pop right in. There are subtle differences in the years but 68-76 clusters will be a drop in. I used Autometer Elite gauges and it took 5 minutes to mount all the gauges with the cluster out of the car on a table. The work comes in planning on how you are going to wire them up. You have to source an ignition power wire, ground and if you purchase gauges with an incandescent back light, a source for that as well. My gauges are backlit with an LED light so I didn't need a power source to dimmable light power. Wouldn't matter anyway because you can't dim LED's. After you've planned for power, you need to decide if you want to or can use your existing sending units. The Autometer gauges come with their own sending units so I used them and ran all new wires to the cluster.

For ignition 'ON' power, I used the pink wire from my old fuel gauge and ran it to a relay that powers a small bus bar. I bundled my power wires from my guages, put a inline fuse in and ran it to the bus bar. You can also "daisy chain' your power and ground wires. I just decided to bundle mine. You don't need to use a relay and bus bar, I just wanted a easily accessible source for ignition on power for future stuff. All you need is to find an ignition 'ON' source, put a fuse in line and hook your gauge power wires to it. Here's a pic of the bus bar and relay.

I created a ground bus bar and mounted it on the back of my gauge cluster. Again, you don't have to do it this way. I just wanted an place where I could get a good ground that is in the center of the dash. All you need to do is source a good ground from behind your dash and run the ground wire to your bundle or 'daisy chained' ground from your gauges. Here's a few pics of my ground bus bar and bundled ground wires from my gauges.

For the sending units you may be able to use the existing ones, depending on what gauges you decide to purchase. I didn't want to mess with it and I liked the sending units and connectors that Autometer supplied so I ran them all through the car. It was just three sensors. I used a 6.3 mm blade connector to make it easier to take the gauge cluster out.

There are lots of ways to go with gauges and the folks on this forum have some killer setups. Some make their own gauge cluster bezels and others have done some really amazing things with LED lights. It really is your canvas. Good luck.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:08 PM
usnfenix
Instructor

wow that helps out alot, thank you man im going to work on replicating what youve done. alot again i appreciate it
Old 01-18-2013, 01:14 AM
GBC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brando nice job,
What did you do with factory wiring
Old 01-18-2013, 06:36 AM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I did mine, I just tucked the factory wiring in back of the gauge cluster out of the way. I had more than enough room.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:00 AM
worship79
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

For my 79 I stored the original cluster and bought an aftermarket bezel for 50 bucks.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:41 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,058 Posts

This was my first test design. Rob in AZ took it to much higher perfection level. just a knock out punch and flaring tool

Last edited by gkull; 01-18-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:08 AM
PaPaPork
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What kind of gauges would you guys recommend if I would like to add something extra instead of clock and the radio panel (4 extra gauges in the center console)
car is 79 N/A 350, head, cam carb, intake,exhaust modified, 3 speed with 4.11 so I run rather high RPM on the road cycling between 3rd and N due to noise... (I don't drag race but I hard launch and orange-line it thru gears)
engine oil temp?
trans oil temp?
vacuum?
I already have an A/F ratio in the glove box

what else useful is there?
Old 01-19-2013, 12:20 PM
Doug Kraft
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Did the same as gkull but went with the bigger 2 5/8 ones and replaced clock with vac gauge.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:50 PM
vette427-sbc
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I cut out the corners where the seat belt, head lamps and door ajar lights are so that they can still be mounted (although mine are different warning lights now). 9 pin connector makes it simple if I need to remove it.

Get notified of new replies

To aftermarket gauge cluster

Quick Reply: aftermarket gauge cluster