C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summit 1104 VS Voodoo 60102

Old 04-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Camss57
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I could get a 5 speed, but mama says NO! Not sure what my exact compession ratio is. When I bought my heads they were listed as 67cc. Now they list them as 72cc? Same part number, so I don't know if I was "lied" to or not. So stock it was 8.5:1, so with the Summit heads and 1094 gaskets do you think that would push it up to 9:1?
Old 04-21-2012, 12:44 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Tim H
Thank you very much for the positive commit.
I pick a cam, flattop pistons, heads, air gap style intake, 750 DP Holley, Felpro and Clevite parts, gear drive timing components, headers.
Turbo 350 from WWW.PTCRACE.COM, Hurst quarter stick, 3500 stall and 4:11 gears. Plus all the normal go fast goodies.
Sticky street tires in back with 50/50 shocks and slip traction bars, front skinnies with 90/10 shocks and no sway bar.
Oh hell its in the 7s again and driving on the street to.
Yea I know what Im doing several times over.
As soon as I sell this current vette, im building again, I can't wait!
You brag about all the cars you build running in the 7's. The time you posted on the nova , a 350 with stock heads and flat tappet hydraulic cam you say is running better times than a 440 six pack roadrunner with 4.11, a shelby cobra 427, a ZL1 camaro and a fiull second faster than a 67 corvette with an L88. The times you posted require over 400 RWHP. Your not getting 300 RWPH out of that combo and would be doing real well to get into the mid 9's in the 1/8. How can anyone take your advice seriously if your obviously a liar. I have been drag racing for over 35 years. I know when I hear it. You have no clue what it takes to get a street 350 into the low 12's. Many on here do but don't want to call you out. I have no problem with that.

Last edited by 63mako; 04-21-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:47 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

My opinion on the whole "big cam sound" thing is that if you build an engine with a big cam, and the other engine components that match the rpm range of the cam, (heads, intake, exhaust, etc.) and the car is set up to operate in that power range (converter, diff gears, etc.) and you end up with a wickedly fast car with a "big cam sound" at idle, that's pretty cool. But if you stab a great big cam into an engine with stock heads, and low rpm intake and exhaust components, stock converter, 2.87 diff gear, etc., just to get that sound, then you are just a poser. If you are a poser, there are cheaper ways to get the "big cam sound". Adjust your idle screws really lean, and retard the timing at idle, until you get the sound you are after. There, that oughta stir up some trouble!!!!

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 04-21-2012, 12:50 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Camss57
I wish I could get a 5 speed, but mama says NO! Not sure what my exact compession ratio is. When I bought my heads they were listed as 67cc. Now they list them as 72cc? Same part number, so I don't know if I was "lied" to or not. So stock it was 8.5:1, so with the Summit heads and 1094 gaskets do you think that would push it up to 9:1?
Your close to 9.1. The Voodoo cam will be fine. Use the right springs, valvetrain geometry and break in with high ZDDP oil and hope it lasts.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Camss57
Racer

Originally Posted by 63mako
Your close to 9.1. The Voodoo cam will be fine. Use the right springs, valvetrain geometry and break in with high ZDDP oil and hope it lasts.
I forgot to add that I have roller rockers as well. Thanks for all the input guys.

Summit claims my springs are good to .520 lift, so they should be fine right?
Old 04-21-2012, 01:20 PM
DRIVESHAFT
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I forgot to add that I have roller rockers as well. Thanks for all the input guys.

There is more to picking the right spring than just looking at how much lift it will handle.
You want to make sure that it has enough spring rate to control the valves too.
Since the Voodoo line uses some fairly quick ramps, they require more spring than some tamer cams do.

The heads that you have list the springs as Comp 981 springs. Those springs have a 370 lbs/inch rate.
The springs that Lunati recommends for the Voodoo 60102 is Part # 73943LUN. They have a 462 lbs/inch rate.
I would say that your current springs need to be upgraded to run the Voodoo cam.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:25 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I think all that really means is that there is sufficient clearance in the valvetrain for that much lift. You really need to know what the spring rate is to determine if it is enough valve spring pressure for that much cam. If it's a flat tappet cam, my guess is yes, it'll probably work just fine. I'm not an expert, by any means, and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, either, so consider the source. Someone more knowledgeable than me can give a much more accurate answer, and I am anxious to hear that answer myself.

edit: Ahhh!! I see driveshaft snuck in and answered that question while I was still writing my post, so there you go!

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott

Last edited by scottyp99; 04-21-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Camss57
Racer

I've never changed out valve springs. How hard is it to do?
Old 04-21-2012, 01:44 PM
Camss57
Racer

Is there another cam that may work better with my current springs or is the Voodoo a good choice with the correct springs?
Old 04-21-2012, 02:57 PM
DRIVESHAFT
Drifting

The Voodoo with the correct springs is a good choice.
There are others that will work with your current springs though, including the Summit 1103 cam that you mentioned.
Here are a few others to look at that will work with your springs.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ISK-201264-27112/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-31401000/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-24502476/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-12-208-2/
Old 04-21-2012, 02:58 PM
BB72
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I put a voodoo hydraulic roller in my 496 and I was very happy with the dyno results. I based my decision on selection and the tech support I got from Lunati. I have also previously bought from Lunati with great results for a SBC.

Rob
Old 04-21-2012, 03:58 PM
Camss57
Racer

Originally Posted by DRIVESHAFT
The Voodoo with the correct springs is a good choice.
There are others that will work with your current springs though, including the Summit 1103 cam that you mentioned.
Here are a few others to look at that will work with your springs.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ISK-201264-27112/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-31401000/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-24502476/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-12-208-2/
Thanks for these. So would you run one of these you listed above, or just get the Voodoo and the springs? And which of the above would be the "best"?
Old 04-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
spot on.
The 60102 is a good performing piece with stockish manners though.
Very good torque!

I do..and I love it.
Not everyone would enjoy it on the street though.
Lot of maintenance and parts aint cheap
Has to be built/geared just right or it WILL be a pig
Fun pulling away from bikes in 3rd

Now thats great sound with that going on who needs a stereo.

The worst thing that happened to the vette is when they turned a sports car into a luxury car. When compression died in 1971 engines kept dropping in power i guess there decision was well we don't have power as a sells point anymore we will load every car up with power steering, power brakes, power windows, they need that power antenna for the radio, wait a minute it made a little to much heat and noise for best luxury going down the road hand me some more insulation for this puppy. I drove down the the road had to stop to early for gas hand me a bigger fuel tank another eight gallons of fuel weight won't matter on this luxury car.

So now today you can't even go down to the lot buy a vette without a/c, pb, pw,.

Last edited by Little Mouse; 04-21-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:07 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tim H
I build an engine around the cam, not around the walker and hearing aide!
I wear sweat pants to walmart vast majority of the time. I could care less what anyone thinks of me or what i wear. Always been that way if someone likes me fine if they don't fine i don't care that much about people or what they may think.

Few months ago i rode an enduro dirt bike motorcycle 1015 miles in one day and night only stopping nine times for gas. No cell phone by myself. Open face helmet. Moab Utah to north DFW tx.

No walker or hearing aid needed only sweat pants for wally world.

If someone likes something you don't no need to do personal insulting attacks on them.

Last edited by Little Mouse; 04-21-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:19 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 63mako

You brag about all the cars you build running in the 7's. The time you posted on the nova , a 350 with stock heads and flat tappet hydraulic cam you say is running better times than a 440 six pack roadrunner with 4.11, a shelby cobra 427, a ZL1 camaro and a fiull second faster than a 67 corvette with an L88. The times you posted require over 400 RWHP. Your not getting 300 RWPH out of that combo and would be doing real well to get into the mid 9's in the 1/8. Thats just an ignorant estimate How can anyone take your advice seriously if your obviously a liar. I have been drag racing for over 35 years. I know when I hear it. You have no clue what it takes to get a street 350 into the low 12's. Many on here do but don't want to call you out. I have no problem with that.
See thats where your wrong and don't know anything about building a hot street car.
I did it and thats not the only one, my near stock 79 Z28 4 speed would run 8:90s all day long doggin it off the line with 225/70 radials.
You either don't how to drive or just plain can't build an engine to perform on the track, sorry for your luck all these years.
The guy I work with runs 9 all day long with a bone stock 4.6 V8 260 horse engine, in a 99 convert mustang GT 5 speed.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Wow mako i did not know you did not know how to build a hot street engine or did not know how to drive. I guess elle88 should not have shipped you his L/88 427 all the way from italy for you to build. Should have shipped it to Tim H.

I'm sure oversea's engines are flooding into Tim H for him to build as we speak.

Last edited by Little Mouse; 04-21-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Mouse
Wow mako i did not know you did not know how to build a hot street engine or did not know how to drive. I guess elle88 should not have shipped you his L/88 427 all the way from italy for you to build. Should have shipped it to Tim H.

I'm sure oversea's engines are flooding into Tim H for him to build as we speak.
Now that's funny! I've been tempted to enter into the discussion but a couple of old sayings come to mind- the one about wrestling in the mud with a pig and...well, I'll just post a link about the other one-

http://www.simonpreacher.com/blog/su...e-with-a-fool/

I'm confident that the forum members have figured out who the real experts here are.

Get notified of new replies

To Summit 1104 VS Voodoo 60102

Old 04-21-2012, 07:22 PM
DRIVESHAFT
Drifting

Thanks for these. So would you run one of these you listed above, or just get the Voodoo and the springs? And which of the above would be the "best"?
I think the Voodoo is likely best from a performance standpoint.
But considering how mild the cams are, the differences likely wont be huge.
That Isky cam would probably be my choice of the cams that will work with your springs.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Les

I'm confident that the forum members have figured out who the real experts here are.
Finally someone got that right Thank you!
Its not where you ship to but who it was for that counts.
I shipped an engine to new York this past Summer, but for who has to remain a mystery but I will say they have a "vette full of money"!

I wear sweat pants to walmart vast majority of the time. I could care less what anyone thinks of me or what i wear. Always been that way if someone likes me fine if they don't fine i don't care that much about people or what they may think.
You would have to not care about yourself to go thru life as a lazy slob.

But that is the same way I feel about people who think they know how to build a car, I know im better at it when they start to criticize me but really they copy everything I do and call it their idea.
I get several PMs a day asking what will work for their car because they are tired of the same ole hum drum crowd and their slow under powered recommendations on this site ( you know who you are)
Its OK because as soon as the criticism starts I know im right and feel flattered by it. So thank you Mako63 for allowing me to show you some pointers and race tips, if you need some more help in the future just PM if your embarrassed to ask on the forum. Again thank you , thank you all!

Last edited by Tim H; 04-21-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:41 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I go everywhere looking like a slob

So now today you can't even go down to the lot buy a vette without a/c, pb, pw
Agreed. I really dig the C3s, even some C4s.
There is TOO much stuff in them that falls apart.

IMO just not wanted in a sports car.
Kinda kills it for me as that "little stuff" ie electrical/vaccum operated crap always goes bad. The old 60s and 70s cars were funner with nothing more than mayyybe power steering brakes and a stick popping up through the floorboard. Couple fuses not a big deal.
AC? Maybe for some.
They took away the power in the 70s had to offer something I guess

Now look at em. Yeah nice but geez own out of warranty ya better have a degree in electrical engineering/deep pockets.

Anyway back on topic.

Last edited by cv67; 04-21-2012 at 09:47 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Summit 1104 VS Voodoo 60102