C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exterior Door handle spring

Old 04-22-2012, 09:46 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Exterior Door handle spring

Anyone know who sells the spring on the door handle in the picture. I don't want to install the aftermarket (pictured at bottom)one that fits inside the handle since I don't think they worth it. The spring returns the handle to the orignal position when released.

I don't want this one.

Last edited by Maymyvetteliveforevr; 04-22-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:50 PM
78anniversary
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this what you need? This is the one that keeps the handle from sagging.

http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...oducts_id=2936
Old 04-22-2012, 10:09 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Thanks for the reply 78anniversary, I noticed that one but it doesn't seem to have the same bends at the end to hook over (interlock/grab) the arms like the one in the images I posted. Also it seem to be wound about 5 times in the OEM yet around 10 in the aftermarket as well as the aftermarket seems to have a smaller inside diameter.

I do however need the spring to stop the handle from saging.

Wilcox,
Old 04-23-2012, 06:42 AM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The legs look long enough to let you make the bend adjustments. Probably if you looked into wound spring companies on the internet, given the dimentions and leg length you could find some. Might have to buy a box full, but they should be available in the correct number of winds, if that's what you are wanting.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:34 AM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 483 Likes on 351 Posts

If no one here helps, place a post in the parts wanted forum. ie. broken door handle wanted.

A forum member placed an ad last year for this spring and the only thing I kept (dont know why) was that spring and sent it to him. Perhaps someone parting out a car will have one. Only cost a $1 to send it.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:45 AM
78anniversary
Racer

I see what you mean. There are 2 springs on the door handle. The one from Willcox is located inside the handle and is the one that keeps the handle from sagging. The handle needs to be disassembled for it to be changed. If the spring that is visible in your pictures is broke, i"m not sure where to find those.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:11 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Indiancreek
The legs look long enough to let you make the bend adjustments. Probably if you looked into wound spring companies on the internet, given the dimentions and leg length you could find some.
I've tried that route and when it comes to the end bend the spring normally breaks. Maybe I can try heating it up a bit, but I'm going to try to find the correct one first. I'm suprised that none of the Corvette Vendors sell this spring since it's a common problem.
Originally Posted by karol
If no one here helps, place a post in the parts wanted forum. ie. broken door handle wanted.
I've thought of that but figured used springs will be somewhat weak and I'm hoping a new one will last as long as the one that came with the car.
Originally Posted by 78anniversary
I see what you mean. There are 2 springs on the door handle. The one from Willcox is located inside the handle and is the one that keeps the handle from sagging. The handle needs to be disassembled for it to be changed.
I wasn't aware there were more then one spring, I need to take a closer look. I thought the spring I needed was the one that kept the handle from saging?

Thanks for the replies so far everyone.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:33 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

I found this thread from about 10 years ago on this forum. My question is, doesn't anyone know of a vendor such as McMaster-Carr with possibly a part # with the closest stainless spring replacement that I can rework?

"OK, Don't even think about getting the flat V shape spring kit. They're only last for a while!

Remove your problem door handle. Compress and hold the flap down all the way, while inspect and remember how the coil spring installed on the flap pivot shaft or pin.

Remove the pivot pin by drive the pin out with a nail or what ever that has the OD smaller than the shaft. It'll come out very easy.

Look at the coil spring wounding rotation! The left side should have a counter-clockwise coil spring, and the right one should have a Clockwise coil spring. The problem with these springs are rusted and broke off in sections.

Now take the original spring to the local hardware and match up one with the same: ID, OD, Spring's wound rotation and tension as much as possible. The stronger tension is good, but too much tension would ware your handle out quicker. SS spring is a plus.

Install the spring would be reverse order. Push the shaft through the handle main housing, then the flap, then the spring.....all the way through. Use lithium grease on all the moving parts. Adjust the flap's tension by winding or un-winding the spring, before permanent install in the handle.

The key here is "Compress and hold the flap down" so you can align all the components while pushing the shaft in!"

Old 04-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by 78anniversary
...There are 2 springs on the door handle...
Correct. The spring in the Willcox listing is only for the finger flap. The spring the OP wants is for the door opening mechanism.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:33 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Thanks for the reply Mike.

Anyone know which vendor or source I can get the "door opening mechanism" spring? I find it hard to believe nobody sells it.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:59 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

http://willcoxcorvette.com/advanced_...%20door%20open

Old 04-24-2012, 05:09 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

I appreciate the reply Wilcox but those are for the inside door handle, I know since I bought those off of you two years ago.

If you scroll up you'll see pictures of the exact spring I'm looking for. It's for the outside door handles.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:27 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

I ordered those springs from CA and yes they have to many windings, I ended up with new door handles from a forum member and it solved the problem, now the door opens & closes like it should, plus checked all connections and lubed all linkage. It was easier to buy the new handle than to replace the spring....
Old 04-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

I checked Corvette America and they don't sell the spring shown in the picture below.

Anyone know where I can get one for both sides?

Old 04-25-2012, 09:14 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

To my knowledge this spring is not being made... Why.. because when this spring breaks it's usually time for a new handle.

My suggestion is that you might consider buying the cheap handle and removing the spring from it if you wish to keep your original door handle.

http://willcoxcorvette.com/advanced_...eywords=handle
Old 04-25-2012, 09:31 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
My suggestion is that you might consider buying the cheap handle and removing the spring from it if you wish to keep your original door handle.
I was hoping that wasn't my only choice. Thanks for the reply Wilcox.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:50 PM
Lemans Blue 69
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Buy some spring stock and fabricate your own. I do it all the time in my trade. Takes a bit of practice but works. If you need a source of round spring stock, let me know. Do not apply heat to it. You form it with common tools. Heat will destroy its memory.

Get notified of new replies

To Exterior Door handle spring

Old 04-25-2012, 09:55 PM
dead end cruiser
Advanced

I have a pair of both drivers and passenger door handles, the springs are still good in them. I only replaced them because the handles themselves were a little pitted from some harsh weather. Let me know if you are interested
Old 04-25-2012, 10:09 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Lemans Blue 69
Buy some spring stock and fabricate your own. If you need a source of round spring stock, let me know. Do not apply heat to it. You form it with common tools. Heat will destroy its memory.
I'll let you know if I don't have any luck with McMaster Carr. I found several options and the pricing is like $1.00 each which is cheap.

Originally Posted by dead end cruiser
I have a pair of both drivers and passenger door handles, the springs are still good in them. I only replaced them because the handles themselves were a little pitted from some harsh weather. Let me know if you are interested
I want to keep my original handles since I'm the original owner so I only need the springs. Let me know if you want to sell only the springs for both sides with shipping to 14304. If so please pm me a price. If I can't find a good match on McMaster Carr, you'll be my back up unless the price is right on yours.

I guess I have couple options:
  • Purchase the new handles from Wilcox, $19.00 each and only use the spring.
  • Got stock rod from Lemans Blue and make my own
  • Take up dead end cruisers offer and use those springs
  • Find a good replacement on McMasterr-Carr for $1.00 and bend over the ends to grab onto the arm.
Thanks again for your help.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:28 PM
sweeet76
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maymyvetteliveforevr, I just replaced both outside door openers and the springs look good. You are welcome to these and I will even pick up the expensive shipping. Just from one vette lover to another.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exterior Door handle spring