C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown header gasket

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 03:31 AM
richiev88
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blown header gasket

My less than 300 miles , header gaskets have blown out one port....and it would be the left side!!!
I've driven it a couple of times since, some one mentioned possibility of burning the exhast valve??? anyone had this issue?
What sort of distance would you need to travel to cause damage ?
When i stared it up from cold today, it was like it backfired a few time whilst idling out of the side pipe ( side with blown gasket) it was a full on bang!!
I guess it was unburned fuel in the side pipe ?
Ideas

Cheers
Old 04-27-2012, 07:27 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Fel Pro blue steel exhaust gaskets never blow out. I even reuse them multiple times. But I also use ARP studs and put on the nuts so they never need retightening
Old 04-27-2012, 08:16 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my right side Mr Gasket #150-A header sidepipe blow a 1/2" chunk out of the top of the #4 gasket last week on its maiden voyage for this driving season. At idle I could see fire spitting out the void. I would guess it happened less than 5 miles from home on the return leg. Ho hum, it's happened before; I'm sure it'll happen again.

Turns out the header bolts loosened up even though I used red Loctite on the threads. And I'm guessing the restrictive muffler inserts I had in didn't help things by causing backpressure thus forcing out that section of the gasket that wasn't clamped tight enough.

I cannot say how many miles it would take to warp an exhaust valve from a slight exhaust leak like mine. I think the chances are slight...more of a noisy nuisance than an engine destroying problem. I would tend to think there would not be enough cold air reversion to harm that valve.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:36 AM
1yy07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default headder gasket

stage 8 locking fasteners. get the one inch ones NOT 3/4.1-800-843-7836. www.stage8.com
Old 04-27-2012, 01:31 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Use the stock OEM manifold gaskets. Never blew one in 30 years
Old 04-27-2012, 03:31 PM
richiev88
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I too had restrictive reverse flow inserts on initial runs, may have contributed to the gasket blowing out.
Also initial timing was a bit retarded so primary pipes got quite hot when it was first fired up!
Yes, I work as a mechanic and have never seen burnt valves from this, but hey, there is a wealth of experence here, interesting to ask of others experiences, specific to these cars.
Have tried to buy the copper gaskets here (NZ) but no one seems to have stock, have bought felpro #1411 gaskets, $55 here, see how we go.

Thanks Richie

Originally Posted by 69 Chevy
I had my right side Mr Gasket #150-A header sidepipe blow a 1/2" chunk out of the top of the #4 gasket last week on its maiden voyage for this driving season. At idle I could see fire spitting out the void. I would guess it happened less than 5 miles from home on the return leg. Ho hum, it's happened before; I'm sure it'll happen again.

Turns out the header bolts loosened up even though I used red Loctite on the threads. And I'm guessing the restrictive muffler inserts I had in didn't help things by causing backpressure thus forcing out that section of the gasket that wasn't clamped tight enough.

I cannot say how many miles it would take to warp an exhaust valve from a slight exhaust leak like mine. I think the chances are slight...more of a noisy nuisance than an engine destroying problem. I would tend to think there would not be enough cold air reversion to harm that valve.

Get notified of new replies

To Blown header gasket

Quick Reply: Blown header gasket