C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking tans pan

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 07:40 AM
Brian Browning
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Leaking tans pan

Good morning folks. I've had a leaking trans for awhile now and finally got tired of the associated mess on the garage and bottom of the car. I crawled underneath and one of the pan bolts is not snugging up. My initial thought is to get a tap and then use a larger bolt. Is this feasible? Is it something that I could do by hand while laying on my back, or should I bite the bullet and take it to a transmission repair place? Its a 71 with a 400TA.

As always, thanks for the advice

Brian
Old 04-27-2012, 07:52 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,148 Likes on 2,077 Posts

My real answer to this is to heli-coil it.

However, if it's one of the side bolts that goes all the way through the trans-flange, run a tap through to clean the thread and you can install a longer bolt and sneak a nut onto the top. You may need to grind the corners of the nut here and there to get it to sit down flat depending on where it is.
It's not the prettiest thing maybe (can't see it from anywhere other than being run over), possibly borderline Bubba, but it will work fine and last until you are ready for a full fix (if ever)
Mooser
Old 04-27-2012, 08:45 AM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mooser
My real answer to this is to heli-coil it.

However, if it's one of the side bolts that goes all the way through the trans-flange, run a tap through to clean the thread and you can install a longer bolt and sneak a nut onto the top. You may need to grind the corners of the nut here and there to get it to sit down flat depending on where it is.
It's not the prettiest thing maybe (can't see it from anywhere other than being run over), possibly borderline Bubba, but it will work fine and last until you are ready for a full fix (if ever)
Mooser
This sounds to familiar . Make sure that the edges of the pan are flat as well and do not over tighten the bolts the cast aluminum strips out fairly easy.

Get notified of new replies

To Leaking tans pan

Quick Reply: Leaking tans pan