C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery dead after a week of sitting -- is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 08:35 AM
Fauvette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery dead after a week of sitting -- is this normal?

Hi,

I had the car sitting for a week (as it was raining here) and this morning the battery was dead. I have a kill switch on the battery but had not disconnected it. If I let it sit for a few days usually the battery is fine -- but I guess a full week is too much.

Is this normal for these cars and not worry about it -- or should I go hunting for where the drain is coming from? (I saw another recent thread on battery drain but it seemed to be more severe and I didn't want to hijack that).

Should I disconnect the battery every night?

Thanks for your input.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:16 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

disconnect it, find the problem, fix it
Old 04-27-2012, 09:23 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No no (forum wouldn't let me just post no.)
Old 04-27-2012, 10:36 AM
larryg3
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

It is not normal for the battery to be completely dead in one week. It maybe time to replace the battery or you have a draw somewhere. Roger did a great write up some time ago about checking to see if your have a draw. Good luck
Old 04-27-2012, 01:30 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

an easy way to trouble shoot this is to pull all the fuses and then on a dark night put them back in....if you see one "arc" you found the cuplrit. do you have a radio with an external amplifier?
Old 04-27-2012, 02:36 PM
Fauvette
Heel & Toe

I will check the fuses one by one and see if there is a draw on any of the circuits. The battery could be older (looks new but need to see if there is a date on it).
Old 04-27-2012, 04:01 PM
BlowAMouse
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

2 more cents worth.. Hook a continunity light (or small 12v light bulb with leads attached) between the battery negative terminal and negative cable. If it lights up, you have a current drain. Remembering that even the dome / hood light will show a drain if door / hood are open.

If you show a drain, leave light hooked up between battery and cable, remove fuses one by one untill light goes out. Get the idea? Remove fuse, light goes out, that curcit has an issue.

Just gets you a little closer to the root cause

Good luck!

Last edited by BlowAMouse; 04-27-2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: spelling..high school education sorry
Old 04-27-2012, 04:27 PM
superdave269
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

2 more cents worth.. Hook a continunity light (or small 12v light bulb with leads attached) between the battery negative terminal and negative cable. If it lights up, you have a current drain. Remembering that even the dome / hood light will show a drain if door / hood are open.

If you show a drain, leave light hooked up between battery and cable, remove fuses one by one untill light goes out. Get the idea? Remove fuse, light goes out, that curcit has an issue.

Exactly how I do it. Only I call it a test light.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Günther-C3
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have switched the override switch for the wipers, it will drain your battery. Did you?

Günther
Old 04-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Mark Riles
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BlowAMouse

Good luck!

This is the best way to check for a system that's draining when it shouldn't. Also of note it is very hard to pull and check fuses with the door closed so it'll be a long step by step process as you open the door to pull a fuse and then close the door to see if the test light still shines.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Our 70 LT-1 can sit for over a month and light right off after a few pumps on the throttle. Our 09 ZO6 let's just say it must be one of GMs first hybrids, it won't start after sitting for 7 days unless its on a trickle charger.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:56 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Surely you have either a bad battery, or some kind of electrical draw. Probably best starting with fully charging the battery and having it tested. A Midtronics tester will actually give you plate contion. If all's good there, try getting hold of a DC clamp on amp meter. Fluke makes nice ones, but are expensive. Also have a C6 ZO6, and can actually go about a month, but far as I'd care to push things. All the modern car electronics, really put on lot's of static battery drain.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:17 PM
Fauvette
Heel & Toe

Thanks a lot everyone for the great input.

This morning I got up early and decided to deal with this issue.

Took off the negative battery cable and checked the draw with courtesy lights off -- significant draw of approx 360mA. Interestingly, everytime I connect the battery (or voltmeter) I noticed I hear a relay "click" and activate somewhere behind the passenger seat. I went ahead and started pulling fuses, and the draw was coming from the "courtesy/ lighter/ etc." circuit. I was kind of baffled as I checked all the courtesy lights and the cigarette lighter -- they all remained cold.

Then I got thinking it could have something to do with the "alarm" system. I turned the lock on the driver side fender (which I never had before since I got my car -- just didn't want to mess with it and thought it was disabled).

Checked again with the fuse back in and voila -- the draw is gone! The clicking when connecting/ disconnecting the battery is gone now too.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:37 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Nice diagnosis/find. A bit of a relief I am sure.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:26 AM
BlowAMouse
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Nice work FAUVETTE, feels good to find an electrical issue fairly quickly.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:46 AM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Riles
Also of note it is very hard to pull and check fuses with the door closed so it'll be a long step by step process as you open the door to pull a fuse and then close the door to see if the test light still shines.
Alternatively, you could pull out the courtesy light globes - JUST FOR THE TEST - or place some racers' tape over the courtesy light switch in the door panel. This (these?) way/s you don't have to keep getting in and out of the car.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Old 05-01-2012, 02:00 AM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aussiejohn
Alternatively, you could pull out the courtesy light globes - JUST FOR THE TEST - or place some racers' tape over the courtesy light switch in the door panel. This (these?) way/s you don't have to keep getting in and out of the car.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
You have to pull one fuse first. Make the first one you pull the one for the courtesy lights and just leave it out until you find the circuit that is causing the drain.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:44 PM
Steven Paige
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mark Riles
This is the best way to check for a system that's draining when it shouldn't. Also of note it is very hard to pull and check fuses with the door closed so it'll be a long step by step process as you open the door to pull a fuse and then close the door to see if the test light still shines.
most cars have a switch in the door frame or on the door itself that gets pressed in to show the door is shut, manually pressing this switch in will tell the car that the door is shut, so you dont have to open and shut the door to get to the fuses.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery dead after a week of sitting -- is this normal?

Quick Reply: Battery dead after a week of sitting -- is this normal?