C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Chavlik
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I do?

Think this where this goes, Mods move it if needed...

I have an 80 that was given to me about a month ago from my sister, a very nice car and I would like to do some modifications to it to make it nicer.
It is a 100 percent stock 350 (L42)with 28k miles and never touched inside. I would like to keep it that way, but still increase performance. I am looking for suggestions to get the bang for the buck.

What exhaust do you recommend? I would like a little rumble while still being able to have a conversation inside.

I would like to update the stereo but find that it would require modifying the console. No DVD or anything, just would like CD and inputs for mp3 player. Any ideas?

What are thoughts on replacing the air cleaner in order to let the motor breathe better?

Any other ideas where I could wake the motor up a little? Should I dump the Quadrajunk?
Thanks for the input in advance.
Chris
Old 05-28-2012, 10:02 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The "Quadra-Junk", as you call it, is probably one of the best mechanical devices you presently have on the car. To the 'unseasoned' masses, "Holley's are great and Q-Jets are junk!" NOT!!

In terms of design capabilities, ability to have good Air/Fuel ratio adjustment throughout the range of use, and the ability to have good economy (when you want it) and good power (when you want it), there is no competitor for the Q-Jet. A Holley may be simpler to work on for performance only, but a good book on Q-Jets will make any work on it relatively easy.

But, if you just want to do what your "buds" say to do, throw it in the trash. Better yet, send it to me!!

As far as "power" is concerned, you will have to do quite a bit to the Chevy SB engine as it was originally producedf in 1980 to make it a real performer. But, it is a SBC engine, and there are a plethera of power mods readily available to do that. I would propose to you, however, that you rebuild the carb (if it was original to that car) and that you recurve the distributor for performance...instead of for lower power/lower warranty costs for GM. You can gain a solid 30 hp for almost FREE with the dizzy recurve, alone. Once you've done that and tested it out, you may find that more money spent is completely unnecessary. If not, the progression of mods should be: dual exhaust system with 2.5" pipes; better cam & compatible heads; better flowing aluminum intake manifold. There is absolutely no reason to change the carb for the purpose of increasing performance!!

Last edited by 7T1vette; 05-28-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:15 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

drop a ZZ4 in it and call it a day
Old 05-28-2012, 11:16 PM
Chavlik
Advanced

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
The "Quadra-Junk", as you call it, is probably one of the best mechanical devices you presently have on the car. To the 'unseasoned' masses, "Holley's are great and Q-Jets are junk!" NOT!!

In terms of design capabilities, ability to have good Air/Fuel ratio adjustment throughout the range of use, and the ability to have good economy (when you want it) and good power (when you want it), there is no competitor for the Q-Jet. A Holley may be simpler to work on for performance only, but a good book on Q-Jets will make any work on it relatively easy.

But, if you just want to do what your "buds" say to do, throw it in the trash. Better yet, send it to me!!

As far as "power" is concerned, you will have to do quite a bit to the Chevy SB engine as it was originally producedf in 1980 to make it a real performer. But, it is a SBC engine, and there are a plethera of power mods readily available to do that. I would propose to you, however, that you rebuild the carb (if it was original to that car) and that you recurve the distributor for performance...instead of for lower power/lower warranty costs for GM. You can gain a solid 30 hp for almost FREE with the dizzy recurve, alone. Once you've done that and tested it out, you may find that more money spent is completely unnecessary. If not, the progression of mods should be: dual exhaust system with 2.5" pipes; better cam & compatible heads; better flowing aluminum intake manifold. There is absolutely no reason to change the carb for the purpose of increasing performance!!
Thanks. Gonna look into the recurve first
Old 05-29-2012, 12:45 AM
666WMD
Instructor

Why does the console require modification for a new head unit?
Old 05-29-2012, 08:11 AM
Chavlik
Advanced

Originally Posted by 666WMD
Why does the console require modification for a new head unit?
Just seems like sizes are larger and would require removing **** holes.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:30 AM
Chavlik
Advanced

Where do I find the parts for the recurve. Summit doesnt seem to come up with it on a search. Is this an auto parts store purchase or?
Old 05-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Chavlik
...I have an 80...It is a 100 percent stock 350 (L42)...
L-48.

...What exhaust do you recommend?...
Do you need new exhaust? The stock set up sounds good and you can carry on a conversation..

...I would like to update the stereo...Any ideas?...
Purchase an aftermarket center cluster bezel already sized for the new system you want. CDs had not been invented when these cars were assembled. A CD player will not fit the stock opening in any C3.

...What are thoughts on replacing the air cleaner in order to let the motor breathe better?...
Replacing the air cleaner element is part of routine maintenance.

...Any other ideas where I could wake the motor up a little?...
Tune it.

...Should I dump the Quadrajunk?...
That's up to you. For the money, you won't find anything better than the QuadraJet.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 05-29-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Chavlik
Advanced

Thanks
Old 05-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Chavlik
Advanced

Found the weights and springs...thanks again.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:53 PM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

32 years old, and less than 1k miles per year. Cool! Probably a good idea to check the rubber fuel hoses at the fuel pump, and check the brake calipers out for leaks if you haven't already done so.

As others have said, you've got a good carb. Probably could use a good rebuild though. There's a book by Doug Roe if you're the do-it-yourself type; IIRC its called "Rochester Carburetors". I've got a copy of it around here somewhere.

There is a lot of good info if you do some searching in this forum. There are a lot of overcaffinated people too, so you'll have to wade your way through to the good stuff. Look for papers by forum member "Lars". He has helped a ton of people out with their ignition & fuel delivery questions.

Also keep in mind that there isn't a lot you can do before you start getting into cams, intake, heads, etc. Sure, there are a few thing you can do, but this leads to that in a hurry.

Good luck & have fun!
Old 05-29-2012, 02:22 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by Chavlik
Should I dump the Quadrajunk?
Not that the QJ is junk but GM didn't use it on their high performance motors back in the day so why should you? They used Holley's. Wonder why? If you want performance at the cost of reduced gas mileage, get a Holley. But you did say you wanted to leave the L48 stock so the QJ with a good tune may be your answer.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:32 PM
RonR80
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I have an 80 same has yours, I gained 100HP , just by adding true dual exhaust, performer intake and a mild cam from Comp, and 1.6 lifters. I dynoed 221HP at the wheels , and the car runs great and way better on gas. Still run regular , Ron
Old 05-29-2012, 02:34 PM
jetjockey
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
my three holleys are insulted and would like to meet your q-jet on the playground after school
Old 05-29-2012, 02:41 PM
superdave269
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Put a Accel supercoil on it. That's what I did to my 79.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:45 PM
Rich's'78
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "A CD player will not fit the stock opening in any C3"

I had no trouble fitting one in my '78.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Rich's'78
I had no trouble fitting one in my '78.
Pic please. How did you fit a CD player in the stock opening?

Get notified of new replies

To What should I do?

Old 05-29-2012, 04:16 PM
Chavlik
Advanced

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Pic please. How did you fit a CD player in the stock opening?
Ditto
Old 05-29-2012, 04:23 PM
Chavlik
Advanced

Originally Posted by Stoge
32 years old, and less than 1k miles per year. Cool!

Good luck & have fun!
Way cool. Drove this car with 27 miles when she bought it in 1980, then to my high school prom in 82, then ten years later to my high school reunion and now 22 years later I own it. Way COOL!
Old 05-29-2012, 04:24 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Jetjockey...

I have no problem with Holley carburetors. They are very popular with the performance folks and have that reputation. However, they have NEVER been known as an "economical" carb...heck, those that use them are rarely concerned with economy.

GM put Holley carbs on their performance engines for just the reason stated in the previous paragraph: they have the reputation of being THE performance carb. So, they slapped Holleys on their 'top' power engines just so they could have effective marketing. Truth be told, most of those engines (certainly the SB models) would have performed just as well with the Q-Jet; but it didn't have the "rep". And, that would be true of any engine that required a 750cfm [or less] carb. ANY carb can be tuned to perform; and in many dyno tests, it has been shown that the brand of the carb doesn't matter at all on the issue of peak torque/hp obtained by an engine.

Oh, and if I had a car with a performance engine and tri-power with Rochester carbs, I'd be glad to 'meet you in the alley', sometime.

Quick Reply: What should I do?