C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soft top installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 07:58 PM
7dSHARK
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Soft top installation

Hello, 1970 convertible..Want to educate myself in the art of soft top installation for a possible future project. Saw somewhere you could download a tutorial but naturally can't find information now. I know you can buy a vid from the same company that sells the tops. I would probably do that IF I decided to attempt the project. I'm trying to gather enough info to decide if Ive got the skills. Thanks Matt
Old 05-29-2012, 11:39 AM
7dSHARK
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got stuck at the bottom, Sorry for bumping my own post.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Get a copy of the Al Knoch video and watch it. After seeing how it's done, you can determine whether you want to tackle the job yourself.

If memory serves, Vette Magaine did a How-To article on C3 soft top replacement. You might scare it up in their archives.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:47 PM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

I just installed a top on my 73. Probably one of the least frustrating projects I have tackled on it.
Unless you know for certain that your tack strips are less than a few decades old you should plan on replacing them.
The instructions that come with the Al Knock top are poorly written and very hard to understand until you are actually doing the job, but they are somewhat helpful.
Just make sure you get the measurements between the bows correct, and be careful to get the top placed evenly side to side before you start attaching it. The good news is that if you mess up on almost any step you can usually go back and pull staples (or the plastic bead on the rear bow) then re-position (I had to do this several times). You will have to trim excess fabric at several points during the installation, just make absolutely sure you have everything the way you want it before you start cutting.

Good luck
Old 05-29-2012, 08:10 PM
phclub
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New England Events Coordinator

replaced a 70 vert 2 years ago, purchased Al Knoch (top, weather stripping, insert for the bows, glues etc. $500), DVD from Corvette central. Watch the DVD several times, take your time and as Scott mentions, be sure to match the top on the rear bow evenly at both sides. If you get this correct most everything else should align.

Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Soft top installation

Quick Reply: Soft top installation